View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #4991
pulp_79sg

I've used both pressurized and non-pressurized portafilters…

The pressurized portafilters usually come with lower-end machines and I don't think you have basket size options. Essentially it's a one-size-fits-all situation. The manual does not even tell you how much coffee the basket can hold. Everything is measured by the supplied scoop. 1 scoop for single, 2 scoops for double, something like that.

Grind size is also incredibly forgiving. In fact, any supermarket pre-ground coffee for espresso machines will give you good crema… thats what the pressurized portafilter is supposed to do.

I guess the target consumer for these sort of machines will not be too concerned with grind size, dosing etc.. I mean its a thermo-block, what more do you want?

Non-pressurized portafilters belong to a entirely different category of machines. Thats when you start thinking about basket sizes and about a million other things. Frustrating as hell but also rewarding when you hit the magic numbers…

Just to add on…

I checked out the Delongi 680 once… basically took apart the portafilter to look inside. Plastic everywhere. At that price it is expensive because the Philips Saeco also has plastic everywhere but is less than half the price. So either get a cheap machine to start the journey or shell out a bit more for one that hasn't got that much plastic….

Last edited by pulp_79sg; 10-09-2018 at 12:20 PM..
pulp_79sg is offline   Reply With Quote