Serious Qn: Should i buy a resale condo, or a project that TOP 2022/23

bettersaint

Reaction score
Serious question, i am below the age of 30. And looking to purchase a private property solely under my own name. Budget 800k - 1m

Of course, i have an existing place to stay, and i am solely looking at an investment view point.

Two options come to my mind:

- Purchase new project, lock in 5% upfront, and progressive payment till 2022/2023 to get keys. Maybe could sell away once SSD up to lock in gains? But current decent projects are priced 1600psf++ onwards at least - not sure on the upside.

- Purchase a resale condo, rent out, collect rental till 3 years SSD up. Sell it off and use proceeds to enter Balance Units of Unsold new project or just TOP Projects. Of course rental is subjected to market condition. But seems that i will be getting instant rental from this option.

What would you do if you're in my position, please share :s22:

Last edited:

DukeCS33

Reaction score
What make you so sure that property prices will run up within 3 years to the extent it covers your financing cost, transaction cost? If it pans out then all is good. Otherwise have you thought of the worst case scenario?

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What make you so sure that property prices will run up within 3 years to the extent it covers your financing cost, transaction cost? If it pans out then all is good. Otherwise have you thought of the worst case scenario?

According to ervino, Singapore FH CCR property is the best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter. He had made 55.7% CAGR on them.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DukeCS33, here are a couple questions to ask before leaping into your possible real estate tycoonism:

1. Looking at your total household wealth, what is the current split between investments/savings in Singapore (such as CPF, real estate, STI stocks, Singapore Savings Bonds, etc.) and investments/savings overseas (such as global stock funds)?

2. Looking again at your total household wealth, what is the current split between investments/savings in real estate (such as REITs, shares of STI stocks that are focused on real estate such as CapitaLand, your own home if you have one) and non-real estate?

3. Looking one more time at your total household wealth, what is the current split between stocks/stock-likes (which includes all real estate) and bonds/bond-likes (which includes CPF)?

Now, if the answer to #1 is “100% Singapore, 0% global,” or something close to that, then you’re hoping (praying) that Singapore will consistently outperform the rest of the world — and that’s quite a risky bet. If Singapore merely catches a cold, or walks while the rest of the world runs, you lose. If the answer to #2 is “over 20% real estate,” then you’re already heavily concentrated in one sector, and that’s sector-specific risk. (How would you feel about having 40% of your wealth allocated to steel manufacturers, to pick some other sector at random? It’s the same basic principle.) If the answer to #3 is that most of your wealth is sitting in fixed deposits, bonds, and traditional CPF, and you’re looking for some place for those dollars to go, then you likely have an age inappropriate portfolio that’s not well positioned for retirement goals.

So what’s the current situation?

bettersaint

Reaction score

Well, The worst is for me is probably holding it and will be a future place for me to stay, becoming my primary residence if necessary. :s12:

bettersaint

Reaction score
Hi BBC, not sure what’s the link to my current thread. By replying to dukeCS33. Would appreciate your inputs on thread topic :s22:

DukeCS33, here are a couple questions to ask before leaping into your possible real estate tycoonism:

1. Looking at your total household wealth, what is the current split between investments/savings in Singapore (such as CPF, real estate, STI stocks, Singapore Savings Bonds, etc.) and investments/savings overseas (such as global stock funds)?

2. Looking again at your total household wealth, what is the current split between investments/savings in real estate (such as REITs, shares of STI stocks that are focused on real estate such as CapitaLand, your own home if you have one) and non-real estate?

3. Looking one more time at your total household wealth, what is the current split between stocks/stock-likes (which includes all real estate) and bonds/bond-likes (which includes CPF)?

Now, if the answer to #1 is “100% Singapore, 0% global,” or something close to that, then you’re hoping (praying) that Singapore will consistently outperform the rest of the world — and that’s quite a risky bet. If Singapore merely catches a cold, or walks while the rest of the world runs, you lose. If the answer to #2 is “over 20% real estate,” then you’re already heavily concentrated in one sector, and that’s sector-specific risk. (How would you feel about having 40% of your wealth allocated to steel manufacturers, to pick some other sector at random? It’s the same basic principle.) If the answer to #3 is that most of your wealth is sitting in fixed deposits, bonds, and traditional CPF, and you’re looking for some place for those dollars to go, then you likely have an age inappropriate portfolio that’s not well positioned for retirement goals.

So what’s the current situation?

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re getting a resale unit, i believe it's extremely difficult to generate (+) cashflow from renting it out assuming you take a max loan (75%)

bettersaint

Reaction score
Re getting a resale unit, i believe it's extremely difficult to generate (+) cashflow from renting it out assuming you take a max loan (75%)

Yes, its tough indeed, I did my research, seems like only units in Geylang is able to generate enough cash flow to cover the mortgage.

Well, I wouldn't mind topping up the shortfall if necessary, taking it like a forced savings plan. :s12:

bettersaint

Reaction score
Please don't any how quote me and put words in my mouth hor! :s8:

55.7% is average return p.a.!
CAGR is still 25+% p.a. for my returns in properties investment. :s13:

What I can claim is that I did so much better than Temasek and GIC! =:p

So much? Can share which development or area in CCR Fringe you purchase?
I am personally looking at the city fringe FH units area too

carleon8

Reaction score
Yes, its tough indeed, I did my research, seems like only units in Geylang is able to generate enough cash flow to cover the mortgage.

Well, I wouldn't mind topping up the shortfall if necessary, taking it like a forced savings plan. :s12:
That's not entirely true. some units in Geylang cannot cover the mortgage as well. There is the MCST to factor in as well.

At the end of the day, it's the purchase price that you pay for + rental demand that you should consider for any investment property in the short term.

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score

Actually topping up ain't such a bad idea. As long the rental covers the interest portion of the mortgage payment per month, any excess is put towards the principal sum...which you can get back when you decide to sell the apartment next time.

bettersaint

Reaction score
I did my research. There is some units for sure. I looked at URA rental data and sale price.

Yeah of cos I excluded the even lorongs which I found out no banks loan for them :s12: There is some in Odd lorongs that is + cashflow

That's not entirely true. some units in Geylang cannot cover the mortgage as well. There is the MCST to factor in as well.

At the end of the day, it's the purchase price that you pay for + rental demand that you should consider for any investment property in the short term.

bettersaint

Reaction score
Yes I am of the same view too. Assuming if the sale price in future = purchase price. You are essentially just paying your equity. So yes, wouldn’t mind topping $200-$300 more a month, like a savings plan :s22:

Actually topping up ain't such a bad idea. As long the rental covers the interest portion of the mortgage payment per month, any excess is put towards the principal sum...which you can get back when you decide to sell the apartment next time.

bettersaint

Reaction score
So can anyone share their views, if you’re in my shoes which option would you take? :s13:

Serious question, i am below the age of 30. And looking to purchase a private property solely under my own name. Budget 800k - 1m

Of course, i have an existing place to stay, and i am solely looking at an investment view point.

- Purchase new project, lock in 5% upfront, and progressive payment till 2022/2023 to get keys. Maybe could sell away once SSD up to lock in gains? But current decent projects are priced 1600psf++ onwards at least - not sure on the upside.

- Purchase a resale condo, rent out, collect rental till 3 years SSD up. Sell it off and use proceeds to enter Balance Units of Unsold new project or just TOP Projects. Of course rental is subjected to market condition. But seems that i will be getting instant rental from this option.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you already said purpose is for investment, aint the choice obvious? Of course is get a resale with tenancy so there is immediate returns on your invested capital and there is chance to buy at or below market valuation.

By buying from developer, one has to pay market valuation and progressive payments over next 4 years yield zero.

positive cash flow is just one aspect, gross yield, ROIC also impt.

WC32890

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Of course buy existing la. Buy new built have to wait. Meanwhile interest still on-going. And judging by the crazy prices of new built these days, I'm 80% certain 80% of new condo buyers will have to take a loss if they wanna sell. I mean Tampinese at $1500 persqft? How much can you sell? $1600? No way la.

carleon8

Reaction score
So can anyone share their views, if you’re in my shoes which option would you take? :s13:
I'm no expert, but I would choose the 2nd option if it's for investment purposes.

The new projects are still over priced, at least in my opinion. $1,700+ psf for a 99 year shoebox unit doesn't seem to make sense at all.

touchring1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course buy existing la. Buy new built have to wait. Meanwhile interest still on-going. And judging by the crazy prices of new built these days, I'm 80% certain 80% of new condo buyers will have to take a loss if they wanna sell. I mean Tampinese at $1500 persqft? How much can you sell? $1600? No way la.

Don't worry, according to the pumpers, will appreciate, in future can sell for $5000 psf.

But in the future, all work is automated, only robots, maybe the robots will buy?

bettersaint

Reaction score
you already said purpose is for investment, aint the choice obvious? Of course is get a resale with tenancy so there is immediate returns on your invested capital and there is chance to buy at or below market valuation.

By buying from developer, one has to pay market valuation and progressive payments over next 4 years yield zero.

positive cash flow is just one aspect, gross yield, ROIC also impt.

Yeah, it seem obvious to get a resale for sure. But i have met enough property agents telling me that buy project is a no-brainer as there is only upside on Capital Gain. And purchasing resale what if there are defects etc, and need renovation, more cost etc etc :s11:

Maybe its their sales pitch, but i will share one of them thats being told to me - "All the buyers purchase at $1700-$1800psf too, would they sell lower in future?"

Of course i am more for the view of a resale unit now, so just gathering thoughts here right now :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.