acer swift 3 8th gen

Adelyte

Reaction score
anyone bought latest acer swift 3 notebook?

care to share your review?

read some reviews on usa model that the screen quality (color and brightness) are quite bad.

:s22:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone bought latest acer swift 3 notebook?

care to share your review?

read some reviews on usa model that the screen quality (color and brightness) are quite bad.

:s22:

I read it is actually the brightness of the laptop that is a problem, especially outdoor. The brightness will affect the contrast ratio, which is why people say the color is bad. But to be honest, I rarely used my laptop 70% brightness, so it may or may not be a problem, depending on individual.

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there's a new White Special Edition that has a matte screen, but I cant find any reviews on it.
Personally not keen on the glossy screen versions.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there's a new White Special Edition that has a matte screen, but I cant find any reviews on it.
Personally not keen on the glossy screen versions.
My younger sister got the white special edition. But I think the screen is the same glossy screen. To be honest, if the screen is not bright, the matt screen may make it dimmer despite the benefit of less reflection.

Adelyte

Reaction score
My younger sister got the white special edition. But I think the screen is the same glossy screen. To be honest, if the screen is not bright, the matt screen may make it dimmer despite the benefit of less reflection.

can share where and how much is the purchasE?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can share where and how much is the purchasE?

I directed her to Qoo10 during the 11:11 sale. I believe she paid about 1088 after applying 110 Qoo10 coupon, plus another 50 shop coupon. Original price then was 1248, sold direct by Acer. Specs comes with 512GB SSD, with i5 8250U and MX150 2GB.

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
I directed her to Qoo10 during the 11:11 sale. I believe she paid about 1088 after applying 110 Qoo10 coupon, plus another 50 shop coupon. Original price then was 1248, sold direct by Acer. Specs comes with 512GB SSD, with i5 8250U and MX150 2GB.

Any chance your sis hook her new Swift 3 to an external display?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Glossy screen is brighter but down side is reflection vs matt screen.
If do not mind smaller screen @ 13.3" and weight more. Spin 5 may be a better choice.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any chance your sis hook her new Swift 3 to an external display?

Nope. Both of us feel that the brightness is just right for indoor usage. I guess the brightness preference it is subjective to individuals.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Glossy screen is brighter but down side is reflection vs matt screen.
If do not mind smaller screen @ 13.3" and weight more. Spin 5 may be a better choice.

That is true. Long story short, I think Acer drop the ball by offering a dim display. Don't get me wrong, I am not getting any laptop. At the start of the year, I just got my Lenovo Miix 720, and happily using it now. :D

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Nope. Both of us feel that the brightness is just right for indoor usage. I guess the brightness preference it is subjective to individuals.

Reason I ask was that my sis also just purchased an Acer Swift 3 and at home we connect to our 40" Samsung LCD TV. All was fine on both LCD and external Samsung display till one Windows Update (I guess) and after that, the LCD display is still good but the external Samsung display went way off scale (much like enlarge by 150% or more) and I tried all means and could not scale it back. When I tried to switch to external display only/extend display and get the same issue. Could not figure out what was wrong.

Next day I thought perhaps restore to a previous version of Windows updates and that resolved the issue.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That's a good deal... what's the RAM like?

Spongebob79

Reaction score

Spirax

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

New Model Acer Swift 3 SF314-54
May-2018 launched - look sleek and slim and come with comfyview matt display :)

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score

New Model Acer Swift 3 SF314-54
May-2018 launched - look sleek and slim and come with comfyview matt display :)

Yes, the new Swift 3 is really bang for buck. Cheapest among all brands spec for spec. Thin & Light & narrow bezel. Very good battery life as well. Have been using the blue colour 14" i5-8250U version with MX150 2GB graphics card, 128SSD (boot drive) plus 1TB 5400rpm HDD (storage) and I am very pleased with the performance so far. Screen is ok for me as I don't work in very bright or sunny environments. I also do some light graphics design with the laptop and its good so far.

Pros:
Light
Long battery life
Narrow bezel
Not running very hot even at high load
Fingerprint sensor to be used with Win10 Hello login
Lots of USB ports (1 x USB Type C Port, 2 x USB 3.0 Port, 1 x USB 2.0 Port)
Auto backlight keyboard (will auto turn off when afk or when not typing)

Cons:
Quarter sized directional arrows
Placement of Power On/Off button (I always mistook it as Delete button due to my old laptop layout)
RAMs are soldered on for 14" version so it is not upgradable
Speakers can be better but for the price, one cannot ask for more

milkshakes

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently bought this laptop and I wanted to share my review. Before buying this laptop, I was quite frustrated because there were no proper reviews of this laptop and buying this laptop felt like a gamble. Hopefully this can help you guy. I'm only going to include details apart from the given specs. First time giving review so bare with me.

Firstly, I've only started using this laptop for less than a week but I'm quite happy with what I've got. My usage will be for mostly school, maybe AutoCAD and light gaming but yet to test. My laptop has the i5-8250u, mx150, 512gb nvme ssd and 12gb ram.
*Lenovo 530s has similar specs to the acer swift 3

Background:
This laptop is the successor to the acer swift 3 sf314-52 series. The older model had pretty good performance and value for money, but had huge bezels and a bad screen. So if you are planning to buy make sure you know which model you are buying.

New whisky lake 8th gen intel CPUs are being added to the new models (probably names sf314-55 / sf314-56) in late 2018 or 2019.

Build quality:
The metal chassis feels good and sturdy but the edge isn't polished to a curve and feels it can easily get scratches. But for the price, it feels premium.

Screen:
The sf314-54 has a 1080p 14" inch IPS screen with a matte finish. From my perspective it looks really good but I'm not really an expert in this. Do note that the screen isn't covered in gorilla glass like some laptops. There's a 15.6 inch version (sf215-52)

Keyboard:
Pressure on the keys feel alright but Key travel is more shallow compared to other laptops. I managed to get use to it in a few days. Keys have back light.

Trackpad:
Nice and big but it's not glass so it doesn't feel so smooth. Buttons feel nice and clicky.

CPU:
As of now, come in i3-8130U, i5-8250U and i7-8550U

Capture_zps2uh9lhib.png

RAM:
Ram is soddered on, but there is an extra slot. The one I have is 12gb DDR4-2666. Some models come with intel optane memory. It's definitely better than having a sata3 hdd but my advice would be to just get a nvme ssd.

Capture1_zpsakdr70fz.png

Storage:
Firstly, there is a 2.5 inch sata 3 hdd slot. For those who require a lot of storage, this is a good feature.

Secondly, there's the m.2 ssd slot (form factor should be 2280 but best to confirm with other sources). like acer, many companies are sells a 128gb ssd+1tb hdd option. However, this is quite misleading as the 128gb ssd uses sata lane which is as good as a normal hdd. Thus, I got the 512gb nvme ssd option.

Capture3_zpszlmsspit.png

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620 is the base option. The sf314-54g (includes the "g") has a mx150 2gb dedicated graphic card. However, there are 2 variants; 15W (1D12) and 25W (1D10), with the 25W being the better performer. Thankfully this comes with the 1D10 version. This was the most difficult information to get as there was nothing online, even called up acer but said they didn't know. I can't definitively say that you will also get the 1D10 version as they might be versions in your country that sell the 1D12 variant. Bought mine in Singapore.

Capture4_zpsjkrrrtkg.png

Cooling:
Feels adequate. Hotspot around the top left area but feels a little warm at most. Nothing extreme. On load you can hear the fans but it's quite soft.

Battery Life:
On paper - 12hrs, based on other reviews 9~hrs. Yet to test

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently bought this laptop and I wanted to share my review. Before buying this laptop, I was quite frustrated because there were no proper reviews of this laptop and buying this laptop felt like a gamble. Hopefully this can help you guy. I'm only going to include details apart from the given specs. First time giving review so bare with me.

Firstly, I've only started using this laptop for less than a week but I'm quite happy with what I've got. My usage will be for mostly school, maybe AutoCAD and light gaming but yet to test. My laptop has the i5-8250u, mx150, 512gb nvme ssd and 12gb ram.
*Lenovo 530s has similar specs to the acer swift 3

Background:
This laptop is the successor to the acer swift 3 sf314-52 series. The older model had pretty good performance and value for money, but had huge bezels and a bad screen. So if you are planning to buy make sure you know which model you are buying.

New whisky lake 8th gen intel CPUs are being added to the new models (probably names sf314-55 / sf314-56) in late 2018 or 2019.

Build quality:
The metal chassis feels good and sturdy but the edge isn't polished to a curve and feels it can easily get scratches. But for the price, it feels premium.

Screen:
The sf314-54 has a 1080p 14" inch IPS screen with a matte finish. From my perspective it looks really good but I'm not really an expert in this. Do note that the screen isn't covered in gorilla glass like some laptops. There's a 15.6 inch version (sf215-52)

Keyboard:
Pressure on the keys feel alright but Key travel is more shallow compared to other laptops. I managed to get use to it in a few days. Keys have back light.

Trackpad:
Nice and big but it's not glass so it doesn't feel so smooth. Buttons feel nice and clicky.

CPU:
As of now, come in i3-8130U, i5-8250U and i7-8550U

Capture_zps2uh9lhib.png

RAM:
Ram is soddered on, but there is an extra slot. The one I have is 12gb DDR4-2666. Some models come with intel optane memory. It's definitely better than having a sata3 hdd but my advice would be to just get a nvme ssd.

Capture1_zpsakdr70fz.png

Storage:
Firstly, there is a 2.5 inch sata 3 hdd slot. For those who require a lot of storage, this is a good feature.

Secondly, there's the m.2 ssd slot (form factor should be 2280 but best to confirm with other sources). like acer, many companies are sells a 128gb ssd+1tb hdd option. However, this is quite misleading as the 128gb ssd uses sata lane which is as good as a normal hdd. Thus, I got the 512gb nvme ssd option.

Capture3_zpszlmsspit.png

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620 is the base option. The sf314-54g (includes the "g") has a mx150 2gb dedicated graphic card. However, there are 2 variants; 15W (1D12) and 25W (1D10), with the 25W being the better performer. Thankfully this comes with the 1D10 version. This was the most difficult information to get as there was nothing online, even called up acer but said they didn't know. I can't definitively say that you will also get the 1D10 version as they might be versions in your country that sell the 1D12 variant. Bought mine in Singapore.

Capture4_zpsjkrrrtkg.png

Cooling:
Feels adequate. Hotspot around the top left area but feels a little warm at most. Nothing extreme. On load you can hear the fans but it's quite soft.

Battery Life:
On paper - 12hrs, based on other reviews 9~hrs. Yet to test

nice review. how much did you got it from ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.