Target networth

Status
Not open for further replies.

malthead

Reaction score
Do you guys have a target networth and stick to it? Once attained, do you relax in any way like changing your job for something that you wanted tor try?

Or do you revise your target when you hit it?

The reason I am asking is that I wonder if I am able to tell myself "that's enough" and stop fretting or at least fret less about whether I have enough. Obviously there are other considerations like if you are single, married or with kids. The last scenario will definitely complicates matters in terms of the budgeting for their future expenses.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a target networth and stick to it? Once attained, do you relax in any way like changing your job for something that you wanted tor try?

Or do you revise your target when you hit it?

The reason I am asking is that I wonder if I am able to tell myself "that's enough" and stop fretting or at least fret less about whether I have enough. Obviously there are other considerations like if you are single, married or with kids. The last scenario will definitely complicates matters in terms of the budgeting for their future expenses.

8-Stages-of-Wealth.png

I got 3 different targets:

target 1: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my basic expenses
target 2: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my standard of living
target 3: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my standard of living + extra life goals.

I have reached target 1 and working towards target 2. At the minimum I want to achieve 2. Achieving 3 is optional for me.

d9_lives

Reaction score
Yep xxxx amount by xx years old.
I only revised it once, to 5 years earlier and slightly higher amount.

If we can hit the target even earlier, that'll be it.
We can't be young forever.
35y, DINK.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't have such a target. But my attitude towards work has changed significantly as my networth has increased. Now I don't give **** about anything at work. I kind of take no initiative and have become very lazy at work. I just slack whole day and leave at 6 sharp. I am not sure if that is a good thing.

I am now bored of getting bored.

Sent from Dont Take Any Of My Statment As Investment Advice. Do Your Own Due Diligence. using GAGT

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score
yea.

250k by 30
550k by 35

the eventual goal is to reach 2mil before 50 and retire early

malthead

Reaction score
I got 3 different targets:

target 1: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my basic expenses
target 2: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my standard of living
target 3: wealth machine generates passive income that pays for my standard of living + extra life goals.

I have reached target 1 and working towards target 2. At the minimum I want to achieve 2. Achieving 3 is optional for me.

I would like to think I am at stage 5. My biggest unknown is the cost of raising my kids, the youngest being only 5.

malthead

Reaction score
I don't have such a target. But my attitude towards work has changed significantly as my networth has increased. Now I don't give **** about anything at work. I kind of take no initiative and have become very lazy at work. I just slack whole day and leave at 6 sharp. I am not sure if that is a good thing.

I am now bored of getting bored.

Sent from Dont Take Any Of My Statment As Investment Advice. Do Your Own Due Diligence. using GAGT

my attitude toward work has definitely changed in a way that i am less inclined to take risk. I don't think I am a worse employee, just less motivated.

Sometimes I do ponder if I could be more ambitious in climbing the corp ladder but then again, isn't the end goal financial stability?

T-Mobile

Reaction score
It will never be enough . I am in stage 4 ( edit * should be stage 3 ) Been less hardworking lately . Spend more time with my 2 kids and my wife .

Just passed my 32th bday :)

My target was to reach 1mill networth by 40 years old

I made this target 10 year ago

By 26yo I was at 200k
I just managed to break 600k this month

Most likely I won't be able to reach 1 mil by age 40 . But I am pretty sure I should be somewhere near there :)

Relax and spend sometime doing things u have never tried before . Who knows , u could increase your networth faster than you could have thought

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will never be enough . I am in stage 4 . Been less hardworking lately . Spend more time with my 2 kids and my wife .

By 26yo I was at 200k

Most likely I won't be able to reach 1 mil by age 40 . But I am pretty sure I should be somewhere near there :)

Relax and spend sometime doing things u have never tried before . Who knows , u could increase your networth faster than you could have thought
Wow 2 kids at 32, you already seem to be on a very fast track.

So your 40 is actually somebody else's 50. You are 10 years ahead in everything :)

Last edited:

T-Mobile

Reaction score
Wow 2 kids at 32, you already seem to be on a very fast track.

So your 40 is actually somebody else's 50. You are 10 years ahead in everything :)

Ya too fast until got 2 kids now . Haha

heavenandearth88

Reaction score
It will never be enough . I am in stage 4 ( edit * should be stage 3 ) Been less hardworking lately . Spend more time with my 2 kids and my wife .

By 26yo I was at 200k

care to share investment or saving method?

T-Mobile

Reaction score
at 26 with 200k, i am not sure how you did it man.

Can be done when u stay with parents . No kids . No commitment.no bad habits .

I saved most of my income , invested in some REITs . Blue chips . REITs were depressed then .
e commerce during that time has a high margin . I was selling something that was profitable and demand was high . Margin was good .

Last edited:

ocs_woodlands

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My HH target net worth varies between 3.2m to 4.4m depending on retirement scenarios in SG.

rwvD70w.jpg

For the high end, should be able to hit around 54 yo. For Low end should be in 3 years..

I am ahead of the pace by about 100k due to gains in property value this year and well behaved stock prices.

malthead

Reaction score
My HH target net worth varies between 3.2m to 4.4m depending on retirement scenarios in SG.

rwvD70w.jpg

For the high end, should be able to hit around 54 yo. For Low end should be in 3 years..

I am ahead of the pace by about 100k due to gains in property value this year and well behaved stock prices.

You include property in your net worth? I assume it's your investment property rather than your home?

How old are you may I ask?

ocs_woodlands

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You include property in your net worth? I assume it's your investment property rather than your home?

Yep include everything- all cpf accounts, all property equity, all insurance surrender values, all SRS balances

Mid 40s

Last edited:

Incognito1979

Reaction score

Shouldn t net worth include property you're staying in? I mean from a technical point of view net worth should literally include everything. Cash, cpf, house etc minus liabilities

That's why I prefer to set my target in cash

malthead

Reaction score
Shouldn t net worth include property you're staying in? I mean from a technical point of view net worth should literally include everything. Cash, cpf, house etc minus liabilities

That's why I prefer to set my target in cash

Many have debated on whether to include residence into net worth. My view is depends on the value. Say it's a small flat which you can't monetize (eg rent out a room or downgrade), then I prob won't include. But if you stay in a 10m bungalow, it doesn't make sense not to include.

ocs_woodlands

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many have debated on whether to include residence into net worth. My view is depends on the value. Say it's a small flat which you can't monetize (eg rent out a room or downgrade), then I prob won't include. But if you stay in a 10m bungalow, it doesn't make sense not to include.

My opinion is that one can do either but the important thing is to compare Apple to Apple and orange to orange.

So when one says so and so amount "shall liberate thou" make sure you know whether the amount is including or excluding primary residence.

malthead

Reaction score
My opinion is that one can do either but the important thing is to compare Apple to Apple and orange to orange.

So when one says so and so amount "shall liberate thou" make sure you know whether the amount is including or excluding primary residence.

For me at the moment, I think my liberation amount will be S$8m. This figure, which is meant for my wife's and my retirement includes

1) cash
2) CPF
3) equities and bonds

Unfortunately do not have any investment properties.

The amount however would exclude
1) surrender values of insurance policies (viewed it as bequest)
2) wife's net worth (cash, cpf , etc) (viewed it as bonus)
3) my residence because hopefully I can continue staying there during retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.