The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

dannyphone

Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA

Can high deg user make plastic lens?
I make a pair at Korea which is very light..i think the lens is plastic.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA

gangsterkia busy come i help you answer.

most lenses are usually plastic (default)
high degree can opt for glass - usually thinner but heavy as well

if its very light, most likely plastic. double aspheric lens can make it both thinner and slightly lighter

hope that helps :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey bro!
Yes it is definitely possible.
Do you know roughly how high your degree roughly is?
Usually light lenses are plastic so yours is likely one too. Glasses lenses can feel the weight when you hold it too.
Yours also should be a high index lens to achieve that certain weight and thickness.

With regards to user garden mention too, yes double aspheric lenses will be slightly lighter but price is higher.

Hi GANGSTERKIA

Reaction score
To add on the both GANGSTERKIA & thegardens3b,

if your degree is more than -10.00, ask for shops that do Lenticular (-) power lenses.

Its a special surfacing technique to taper down the thickness of the lenses, up to 30% thinner. :) especially effective for high prescription.

Hi GANGSTERKIA

Last edited:

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea what's the estimated cost of making a pair of contacts lens with:
600 degree 75 Astigma L
550 degree 275 Astigma R

I've never worn contact lens before, is it difficult in the beginning for first time user to wear and remove it?

Appreciate any input! :o

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to wear it Long term I.e. 1year? Or disposable ones? Monthlies, dailies.

Any idea what's the estimated cost of making a pair of contacts lens with:
600 degree 75 Astigma L
550 degree 275 Astigma R

I've never worn contact lens before, is it difficult in the beginning for first time user to wear and remove it?

Appreciate any input! :o

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to wear it Long term I.e. 1year? Or disposable ones? Monthlies, dailies.
What's the difference between them? What's the price for yearly, monthly and daily?

Might get the monthly one to try, one year seems like too long a period.

Thank gangsterkia!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending on Brand’s, dailies w/o astig about 50-72, w/ astig 60-78. Monthlies around 50ish and with astig depending on Brand’s...

What's the difference between them? What's the price for yearly, monthly and daily?

Thank gangsterkia!

Reaction score
Hi bro,

I'll recommend checking your eyes with an optometrist to determine suitability for the different type of lenses. Factors like cornea curve and eye size also play a part in choosing your 1st lens. :)

Thank gangsterkia!

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro,

I'll recommend checking your eyes with an optometrist to determine suitability for the different type of lenses. Factors like cornea curve and eye size also play a part in choosing your 1st lens. :)
Yeah, will do. Just wanna gather estimated cost info :s13:

Thanks for advice.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i actually needed my first progressive lens and it is just in one eye.

i chose varilex x from essilor.

Far vision is good however intermediate vision is blurry (while using laptop/pc) while near vision i will have to tilt my head upward quite alot (while using hp) and really tried hard to look at the most bottom part which seems to be a awkward and unnatural position. the vision is also narrow.

is this normal or is there any shop expert in troubleshooting this? really have problem to work. even looking at hp seems difficult. :(

Reaction score
Hi Bro,

Its not normal to have such experience. Since I didn't get to see your frame and the fitting on your face, I'll just list a couple of reasons that may have attributed to your experience:
  • Your spectacles might have slide down quite abit
  • Inappropriate corridor length for your frame height
  • Incorrect choice of lens design
  • Insufficient Reading addition
  • incorrect inset

I'ld suggest you visit your shop again to have this fixed. If they aren't able to do it, maybe seek a 2nd opinion elsewhere.

i actually needed my first progressive lens and it is just in one eye.

i chose varilex x from essilor.

Far vision is good however intermediate vision is blurry (while using laptop/pc) while near vision i will have to tilt my head upward quite alot (while using hp) and really tried hard to look at the most bottom part which seems to be a awkward and unnatural position. the vision is also narrow.

is this normal or is there any shop expert in troubleshooting this? really have problem to work. even looking at hp seems difficult. :(

Last edited:

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bro,

Its not normal to have such experience. Since I didn't get to see your frame and the fitting on your face, I'll just list a couple of reasons that may have attributed to your experience:
  • Your spectacles might have slide down quite abit
  • Inappropriate corridor length for your frame height
  • Incorrect choice of lens design
  • Insufficient Reading addition
  • Excessive/insufficient Prism thinning

I'ld suggest you visit your shop again to have this fixed. If they aren't able to do it, maybe seek a 2nd opinion elsewhere.

thanks for the advice. that was also my doubt. as i read online, seems that ppl using progressive lens should not have such a difficult life. and I suppose the lens i chose are already the best model from that brand.

but because it is my first pair and slightly diff is only 1 eye? so was thinking could it be my own "learning" to read using progressive lens issue.

i actually did went back to the shop and he tried to do a measure again by looking at my eye (i thinking finding the center?) and said it was correct. tried adjusting the position but still same issue. he advise me to try a few days at my office looking at my pc at diff distance and if still cannot then go back to him.

meantime i use a reading glasses for the distance from my laptop.

was just thinking if worse case he still cannot fix, is there any professional trained personnel or shop with special machine that i can go to?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. that was also my doubt. as i read online, seems that ppl using progressive lens should not have such a difficult life. and I suppose the lens i chose are already the best model from that brand.

but because it is my first pair and slightly diff is only 1 eye? so was thinking could it be my own "learning" to read using progressive lens issue.

i actually did went back to the shop and he tried to do a measure again by looking at my eye (i thinking finding the center?) and said it was correct. tried adjusting the position but still same issue. he advise me to try a few days at my office looking at my pc at diff distance and if still cannot then go back to him.

meantime i use a reading glasses for the distance from my laptop.

was just thinking if worse case he still cannot fix, is there any professional trained personnel or shop with special machine that i can go to?

Hi SibehEng,
I saw your first post earlier and it said progressive lens on one eye only? So the other side is a single vision lens?

Ok, from what you have mentioned, various factors which user Eyezone Optical already mentioned.

1.Frame fitting should be fine since you went back to the shop - however, that being said, the time when he took the measurements and the measurements obtained when you went back to the shop might be different. Dotting/measuring of the height is important.
2.For progressives, the person who dispensed the frame and advised on what lenses to use should educate you on the pros and cons of progressives. Judging by what you have mentioned, he might have not done a good job or you might have forgotten. Intermediate area (computer/laptop distances) clarity usually isn't as good in a progressive compared to an office lens/single vision lens.
office lens gives you wider range of clear vision, single vision only one certain distance with not much room if range is adjusted.
3. if by looking at the most bottom part of the lens and the words are clear, it wouldn't be a problem with the addition and it would be more of the lens design not the addition.

hope your optician/optometrist can solve the problem for you soon because you are right... progressive lenses are supposed to make your life easier, not what you are experiencing right now :o

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi SibehEng,
I saw your first post earlier and it said progressive lens on one eye only? So the other side is a single vision lens?

Ok, from what you have mentioned, various factors which user Eyezone Optical already mentioned.

1.Frame fitting should be fine since you went back to the shop - however, that being said, the time when he took the measurements and the measurements obtained when you went back to the shop might be different. Dotting/measuring of the height is important.
2.For progressives, the person who dispensed the frame and advised on what lenses to use should educate you on the pros and cons of progressives. Judging by what you have mentioned, he might have not done a good job or you might have forgotten. Intermediate area (computer/laptop distances) clarity usually isn't as good in a progressive compared to an office lens/single vision lens.
office lens gives you wider range of clear vision, single vision only one certain distance with not much room if range is adjusted.
3. if by looking at the most bottom part of the lens and the words are clear, it wouldn't be a problem with the addition and it would be more of the lens design not the addition.

hope your optician/optometrist can solve the problem for you soon because you are right... progressive lenses are supposed to make your life easier, not what you are experiencing right now :o

yup, the other side is single vision. I actually used a progressive lens due to cataract ops.. i had expected the IV or even FV or NV to not match single vision but was quite shocked that currently the IV seems to be blurry to the point that i cannot read words on computer.

the NV when i force my eyeball glance to most bottom area then i manage to find a point that seems to be clear. but the area is extremely small like maybe just 1 or 2 lines of whatsapp..

really hope would be able to troubleshoot to at least let me see properly..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.