View Single Post
Old 13-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #633
BBCWatcher
Supremacy Member

Recent Minor Adjustments

I've been running the same basic savings/investing "program" for many, many years. Hopefully that'll continue for many years to come. However, I have made a couple minor tweaks to keep the program running according to plan:

1. Broker adjustment. For U.S. persons, Fidelity is currently winning the fund price war with their radically awesome FZROX and FZILX mutual funds. FZROX and FZILX have zero management fees, zero trading fees, zero custody fees, $1 minimum to open, $1 increment, zero cost automatic dividend reinvesting.... zero across the board. That works great for me, so Fidelity is getting the bulk of my monthly savings inflow.

I'm holding all current positions at Schwab for the long-term, and Vanguard is still getting a good portion of monthly inflow.

2. Funding account adjustment. U.S. interest rates have been rising, and that has resulted in some selectively better interest rate offers from U.S. banks and U.S. credit unions. So I've slightly tweaked the funding account arrangement for monthly investments in order to get some better interest.

3. U.S./Ex-U.S. mix adjustment. As we all know, the U.S. stock markets have been on an incredible run since the depths of the Global Financial Crisis nearly 10 years ago. Stock markets outside the United States have generally not done as well over that same period. I like to keep the U.S./ex-U.S. allocation within "reasonable equilibrium." Consequently I've made a little adjustment to the inflow, shifting some of the U.S. stock inflow over to the ex-U.S. stock inflow side. I'll keep an eye on how that goes over the next few months.

What next? "Do nothing" is perfectly fine, but here are some at-the-margin ideas I'm pondering:

a. Over the next few months I'm considering raising my monthly savings amount. When I think a new, higher monthly savings amount is long-term sustainable, I increase that inflow number.

b. A small percentage of my total stock holdings is in individual stocks, and I'm looking for reasonable opportunities to sell some of those individual stocks in favor of broader funds.

c. Supplementary Retirement Scheme (SRS) accounts are not terrific for U.S. persons, but I'm taking another look at whether I should get more interested in SRS.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote