Android TV Box

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh and Go Select that cost $9.90 per month for 6 months. I guess that $199 wasn't that expensive (correct me if I'm not).

Please do checkout the Chromecast built-in and review it, if possible.

Thanks.

As i am holding back on getting Chromecast device and Android TV box.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please do checkout the Chromecast built-in and review it, if possible.

Thanks.

As i am holding back on getting Chromecast device and Android TV box.

Oh why hold back? I'll try over one of the weekends :).

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you work out the costing on the Packs > Starhub Go Packs

Part of the package includes;
1) Go Family (TV Channels) $14.90 x 6 = $89.40
2) Go Select Packs on $9.90 x 6 = $59.40
Total 89.40 + 59.40 = $148.80

Full Package = 199 - 148.80 = $50.20 for the Starhub Go Streaming box.

For the Go Select Packs $9.90 you have a choice on Sports or TV series.

The TV series do include TVB dramas, K-dramas, HBO Originals and more as available in the Starhub Go channels.

Beside there is movies channels in CATCHPLAY Unlimited or per movie.

It is more on the marketing the promotion on Go Family & Select packs in the bundle as well as Starhub Go product.

Wonderful explanation Eric.

It's odd why the officer didn't ask me about selecting Sports or TV series when I signed up. So what you're saying is that there is an overlap of channels if I select the TV series for 'Go Select Pack'?

Actually a 2/8GB Android box cost about $70 so I guess it wasn't that bad signing up.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh why hold back? I'll try over one of the weekends :).

Thanks.. no hurry.

Wait till my contract expire by end this year and see if there is any offer from Starhub first.

To see if they still provide me the free TV subscription or not as hopefully to extend current free TV subscription.

Checking out all available options.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. no hurry.

Wait till my contract expire by end this year and see if there is any offer from Starhub first.

To see if they still provide me the free TV subscription or not as hopefully to extend current free TV subscription.

Checking out all available options.

I see and I agree with what you have in mind.

BTW, should I switch to Sports since I already have 'Go Family"?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wonderful explanation Eric.

It's odd why the officer didn't ask me about selecting Sports or TV series when I signed up. So what you're saying is that there is an overlap of channels if I select the TV series for 'Go Select Pack'?

Actually a 2/8GB Android box cost about $70 so I guess it wasn't that bad signing up.

I don't think there is any overlap on the channels on all Packs but even if have it would be minimal.

The Family pack can consider as on TV Basic subscription group Tier channels but on the lite version and may include some on Catch-up channels.

> Go Family Pack Channels vs TV Channels Basic Tier

Whereas the Select on Sports and/or TV series are basically either all sports channels and/or dramas & some movies channels, respectively.

boonkang

Reaction score
Oh and Go Select that cost $9.90 per month for 6 months. I guess that $199 wasn't that expensive (correct me if I'm not).

If you work out the costing on the Packs > Starhub Go Packs

Part of the package includes;
1) Go Family (TV Channels) $14.90 x 6 = $89.40
2) Go Select Packs on $9.90 x 6 = $59.40
Total 89.40 + 59.40 = $148.80

Full Package = 199 - 148.80 = $50.20 for the Starhub Go Streaming box.

For the Go Select Packs $9.90 you have a choice on Sports or TV series.

The TV series do include TVB dramas, K-dramas, HBO Originals and more as available in the Starhub Go channels.

Beside there is movies channels in CATCHPLAY Unlimited or per movie.

It is more on the marketing the promotion on Go Family & Select packs in the bundle as well as Starhub Go product.

The photo below says it all:

A9jF4Yd.jpg

Of course, your calculations are correct.

If you factor in price for the 6mths Go Family + 6mths Go Select subscription cost...
-- the new Starhub Android TV box's effective cost at $50.20 is not expensive at all.

Plus this new Starhub Android TV box supports Chromecast as well.

In fact, at the effective cost of $50.20 -- this Starhub Android TV box is one of the CHEAPEST Android TV box that includes built-in Chromecast !!

Even the Xiaomi TV box (International Edition) MDZ-16-AB -- that also includes built-in Chromecast -- cost MORE than $50.20 (about $70+).

Android TV boxes has been around for years already.

Those who have years of experience using Android TV box -- knows that the TV box itself is secondary -- it's the apps you have installed on the Android TV box that actually shows the content.

There is no such thing as one single Android TV app that can let you watch all the shows in the world.

If you watch many different types of shows -- then of course it goes without saying -- you (likely) need to install & use multiple different Android TV apps.

For the set/collection of apps you use -- it can be paid apps or FREE apps -- or a mixture of both paid & FREE apps.

Also, you can install the app(s) you use on ANY Android device (any Android phone/tablet/TV box etc.) -- as long as the app works properly -- you can watch contents from the app(s) on ANY Android device.

For years...Sinkies complain that:
* Buy empty Android TV box -- but don't know where to get apps & don't know which app to watch certain shows.
* If buy expensive Android TV box with apps installed by vendor, (but vendor) apps installed don't last/can't work after some time.
* If own self install apps -- (but) most apps are from overseas source -- not sure if overseas apps are legal or not, or got geoblock problems.
* If pay to subscribe & watch contents using apps from overseas -- don't know whether the overseas source/vendor/seller will close down after taking your money.

Now essentially ALL the above complains are "solved" -- by getting this new Starhub Android TV box...

* You have an (effectively only $50.20 inexpensive) Android TV box that comes from a LOCAL reputatable source (Starhub).
* With app already installed (Starhub Go) showing legal contents.
* Will never have geoblock issues for accessing contents from Starhub Go since Starhub Go is meant for local (SG) use.
* Plus, as long as Starhub does not close down (unlikely) -- your the Starhub Go subscription will always be valid.

But surprising... Sinkies still NOT HAPPY...

There are multiple other threads where people gives (all sorts of) negative comments about the new Starhub Android TV box.
(some of the comments -- in those other threads -- are about Starhub's shares & have actually nothing to do with the new Starhub Android TV box itself.)

See threads:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...rhub-go-android-box-will-you-buy-5893282.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-using-starhub-new-streaming-box-5897233.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/.../good-start-starhubs-android-box-5900417.html

Sinkies are (really) hard to please...

IMHO, as far as the new Starhub Android TV box is concerned...

It is a reasonable offer -- especially for those who do watch the contents available on Starhub Go Family or Go Select packs.

It is simply just another choice available on the market.

Plus it supports Chromecast -- so you can cast any contents you watch on your phone/tablet to the Starhub TV box -- as long as the app you use supports Chromecasting :)

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any overlap on the channels on all Packs but even if have it would be minimal.

The Family pack can consider as on TV Basic subscription group Tier channels but on the lite version and may include some on Catch-up channels.

> Go Family Pack Channels vs TV Channels Basic Tier

Whereas the Select on Sports and/or TV series are basically either all sports channels and/or dramas & some movies channels, respectively.

I see......

The officer told me if I drop the $9.90 'Go Select' then I cannot watch with devices on the go, only can watch with the TV box.

I just don't understand that portion.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see......

The officer told me if I drop the $9.90 'Go Select' then I cannot watch with devices on the go, only can watch with the TV box.

I just don't understand that portion.

Interesting..

This could means that the Go Family pack is locked in to Starhub Go Streaming box, permanently.

1. StarHub Go Streaming Box is an Android TV streaming box > StarHub Go Streaming Box FAQ - point 4

2. Includes over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels from Go Family as stated below Get just the StarHub Go Streaming Box. > StarHub Go Streaming Box

These 2 points indicated as those 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels are already inside this BOX pre-installed and available.

While there may have other related Apps pre-installed and available.

Therefore Go Family can only be watch using this Streaming box and not on any other devices as like Starhub Go Select packs.

This is what i interpret.

Whereas the free Go Select is an voucher option valid for 6 months to use with Hub ID.
And able to watch on other devices with Starhub Go App or website.

I had this voucher last year when i recontract on mobile line.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting..

This could means that the Go Family pack is locked in to Starhub Go Streaming box, permanently.

1. StarHub Go Streaming Box is an Android TV streaming box > StarHub Go Streaming Box FAQ - point 4

2. Includes over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels from Go Family as stated below Get just the StarHub Go Streaming Box. > StarHub Go Streaming Box

These 2 points indicated as those 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels are already inside this BOX pre-installed and available.

While there may have other related Apps pre-installed and available.

Therefore Go Family can only be watch using this Streaming box and not on any other devices as like Starhub Go Select packs.

Whereas the free Go Select is an voucher option valid for 6 months to use with Hub ID.
And able to watch on other devices with Starhub Go App or website.

I had this voucher last year when i recontract on mobile line.

You have a point.

In other words, people who doesn't buy the Starhub Box will never be able to subscribe to Go Family pack?

The $9.90 Starhub Go pack doesn't contain as much content but it allows watching on different devices. Think maybe that's what the officer is trying to tell me.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I called Starhub and not surprisingly, there is another set of answer.

1) Go Select pack contains movies, doesn't overlap Go Family pack.
2) I can continue to watch on my mobile devices even if I drop Go Select pack.

I took the chance to ask about APNs and officers can't provide an answer at all.
Starhub Go for Starhub mobile customers to switch to "shwap" in order to enjoy free data streaming.

However, the default is always "internet" APN. When I asked the officer why bother to have 3 different APNs. he couldn't answer and just said "shwap" APN provides all the access needed.

When I asked why bother to have "internet" (default) and "shwapint" APN, the officer couldn't answer me at all.

In this case, most customers will be charged data while they happily think they wouldn't while streaming on Starhub Go.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have a point.

In other words, people who doesn't buy the Starhub Box will never be able to subscribe to Go Family pack?

The $9.90 Starhub Go pack doesn't contain as much content but it allows watching on different devices. Think maybe that's what the officer is trying to tell me.

Basically Starhub Go Streaming Box (GSB) is Android TV box as similar to Set Top Box (STB) and may include certain features pre-installed or locked in.

When you turn on this GSB the serial number is your account number registered in Starhub Go server to confirm your subscription on channels.

The Go Family channels are available via your account subscription detail in Starhub Go server to provide you all available channels.

Likewise STB are linked to Starhub TV service server to provide all available channels according to your account locked in maybe via STB serial number;
And will screen your subscribed channels and those non-subscribe channels are available to purchase/subscribe.

So currently these over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels are only available in Starhub Go server hence as starting point.

When you turn on via remote, as similar to STB remote, the GSB will show you all those over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels for you to watch if your subscription is valid.

In conclusion your account is in Starhub Go server to provide you the necessary channels as per your account subscription if valid.

The definition on this GSB on channels available at the instant upon turn on, not via Starhub Go App, is stated in Starhub Go Streaming Box FAQ - point 1.
StarHub Go Streaming Box is designed to provide you with access to a wide variety of content at the comfort of your home, watching on your TV set. Whether you want to watch critically acclaimed HBO Originals, latest Asian dramas and variety shows, World News or LIVE sports action, we got it all covered! Plus, much more!

Next part regarding to Starhub Go Select pack.

This GSB do included &or pre-installed some Apps such as Starhub Go App, Fox+, YouTube and Spotify as stated under Apps you’ll love in Starhub Go website

So when you have this Go Select voucher you redeem via Starhub Go App in other devices.
Also may able to redeem via this GSB which if your account already exist or not.

Final note in regarding to "another set of answer" option.

As long as you do not turn on this GSB you may use other device to login to Starhub Go App or website to watch including this Go Family channels beside Select pack redeemed/subscribed.

Refer to FAQ on points 9 & 10 on the number of devices and per Hub ID account.

As stated in FAQ point 8;
No. The StarHub Go Streaming Box and StarHub TV are 2 different service offerings with different subscription packages.
This could means that there are different servers to serve each Starhub Go and TV services.

Regards.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I took the chance to ask about APNs and officers can't provide an answer at all.
Starhub Go for Starhub mobile customers to switch to "shwap" in order to enjoy free data streaming.

However, the default is always "internet" APN. When I asked the officer why bother to have 3 different APNs. he couldn't answer and just said "shwap" APN provides all the access needed.

When I asked why bother to have "internet" (default) and "shwapint" APN, the officer couldn't answer me at all.

In this case, most customers will be charged data while they happily think they wouldn't while streaming on Starhub Go.

These APN settings serve different needs and groups on mobile devices.

Type: Name --- APN
1. SH Internet ---- shinternet
2. SH Data Postpaid ---- shwap
3. SH Data Prepaid ---- shppd

Hence for all postpaid mobile user should use Type 2.

Prepaid mobile user by default is Type 3 but may able to use Type 2.

As for Type 1 usage it is the 2nd APN prior to Type 2 and there was an earliest or 1st APN which no longer exist.

The definition on between Type 1 and 2 are that;
Type 1 is outside Starhub protocol or control.
Type 2 is within Starhub like something intranet.

Hence Type 2 serve Starhub Go App which is delivery within Starhub based.
Also you can download SPH Apps such as SPH Radio or news and streaming without using your data usage as similar to Starhub Go App.
But do take note that if there is any advertisement which will be outside Starhub as this data will be chargeable.. meaning do not click on any advert.

Not all Starhub CSO are familiar with these as it may be outside their scope.

So ensure you are on the correct APN settings if you are using Starhub postpaid mobile to surf on those Apps with free data usage.

Regards.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These APN settings serve different needs and groups on mobile devices.

Type: Name --- APN
1. SH Internet ---- shinternet
2. SH Data Postpaid ---- shwap
3. SH Data Prepaid ---- shppd

So ensure you are on the correct APN settings if you are using Starhub postpaid mobile to surf on those Apps with free data usage.

Regards.

Mine's defaulted to 'internet' APN (not 'shinternet'). It's lucky I know what's APN and how to switch it. Can you imagine loads of people out there that defaults to 'internet' instead of 'shwap' when they get a new phone.

Most folks will be charged data not knowingly. I just don't understand why 'shwap' is not the default since the other 2 seems useless anyway.

The Go Select pack doesn't just contain Sports; The CSOs are just simply guessing as well.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine's defaulted to 'internet' APN (not 'shinternet'). It's lucky I know what's APN and how to switch it. Can you imagine loads of people out there that defaults to 'internet' instead of 'shwap' when they get a new phone.

Most folks will be charged data not knowingly. I just don't understand why 'shwap' is not the default since the other 2 seems useless anyway.

The Go Select pack doesn't just contain Sports; The CSOs are just simply guessing as well.

Interesting..

Is your SIM card old as in maybe a decade ago not replaced ever since.
The phone read the SIM card when inserted it by default.

All mine are new &or replacement when recontract hence no issue when phone read by default every time.

There was 1 complaint in their forum on being charged on APN internet.

What do you mean Go Select pack don't have Sports as in the BOX itself or Starhub Go App.

Pearce

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh no, one of my favourite app, Terrarium has come to an end!

Any other to replace?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.