Considering to switch to Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last couple of years most of my friends and colleagues went back to android (most went to Samsung). So far non has any regrets. I am one of the last few still using iPhone. I am keeping my iPhone 7 plus. Just sold my iPhone X (stiff prefer the touch ID). If apple is not coming back with touch ID, I will move to android once the 7 plus kapu.

Touch ID is not coming back. And the main reason why Android still has no Face ID because they are unable to replicate anything close to the Face ID, otherwise they would have switched as well.

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
easier? Android now v9 liao still can’t fix e issue of backup n restore properly 🙄

Phone settings no choice cause different vendors all different settings and options, but important data like contacts, photos, calenders, WhatsApp all seamless.

yamakazi51

Master Member
Reaction score
Touch ID is not coming back. And the main reason why Android still has no Face ID because they are unable to replicate anything close to the Face ID, otherwise they would have switched as well.

Samsung and friends already have face based unlock

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsung and friends already have face based unlock

Correct but nowhere near Apple’s TrueDepth camera system and Face ID. Samsung one needs your face to be lit enough to be able to detect and unlock whereas on my X, even in total darkness, Face ID still works. Thanks to the IR camera and flood illuminator.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you enable encryption protection at startup, they cannot flash your phone Liao

very easy to switch...
I switched fr iPhone to Samsung... and back to iPhone again.

Security-wise... Apple still better at that.
Actually just one aspect. If u lose your Android phone, regardless of password etc... the thief can easily bypass by flashing firmware.
You can't do that with iPhone w/o the Apple ID/pass that was used to set up the phone previously.
Maybe phones that ships with new Android version has that addressed... (i don't know)

disastrous

Reaction score
Just some advice from old man, using phone since da ga de era.

I use fruit phone since iPhone 3GS and Android phone since HTC Dream and my first Samsung smartphone was Galaxy S2.

IMO, both Androids and iPhones are good. But you will find fanboys of both side. Like those saying Android got lack of security (not as secure but doesn't mean not secured) or lags after use etc. Or those saying Apple is gimmicky (every year same, use bombastic phrases in ads).

iPhone is good because:
  • iOS is smooth and zero problems (at least it remains transparent to you). Despite it being a closed OS, it's the fastest I use in any phone.
  • 2 App Store cannot be beaten. A lot of people use iPhones cos the App Store really good and tokong. Any app you buy is 99% guaranteed to work on iPhone. On Android, there are so many different models so each app can work either perfectly or like sai. And a lot of apps on Apple are not launched on the Play Store.
  • Will get OS updates as long as it still can be updated which is quite reassuring.
  • Build quality - So far despite looking boring, I think most iPhones look quite premium.
  • I think accessories for iPhone is second to none. Go anywhere and you sure see iPhone accessories.
  • Face ID is actually good - this one you must try then u know. Lots of people just bash it but I find it super good. Can use for banking means it's secured enough. Samsung's or Xiaomi's variations not accepted for such apps meaning it doesnt have true depth sensing, just 2D recognition.

Android, on the other hand, is good because:
  • OS is more open, meaning you can customize lots of stuff, it's easier to do many things which iOS tries so hard to make your life difficult - like copying movies/songs etc.
  • Samsung Pay is better than Apple Pay. Maybe my opinion but Samsung Pay is widely accepted since Paywave machines also can use.
  • You can root Android means you can do even more things, like sideloading and *ahem* apks.
  • You can refund app/in-app easier using Google Play (trust me i tried both and Google is more flexible after the 1st-2nd refund).
  • Lots more features when you need it - dual SIM, quick charge, dash charge, fingerprint scanner etc and things like notification light are really damn good. Apple took many years to implement dual SIM (which is not even a true dual sim in local sets).

Sorry please dont flame me :s13:

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe I change to iPhone 8 next year or 2020 liao

If can’t then like above go to Samsung liao

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
yep.. been using Samsung for many many years before i switch back to iphone.
Love how I could customize and do many things with it, until I got sick of lag.
I can reboot the phone, do nothing with it.. and after a while the RAM get used up to 70%-80% for no reason at all.
Samsung's solution? Switch to better cpu and add even more RAM with every iteration lor... instead of Google optimizing the OS.

Specs alone, iphone may have a "slower" cpu and less ram. But it's strength is responsiveness that gives the illusion that it's v smooth and fast.

My only gripe with iPhone is there is no "True multitasking"..
Apps (e.g. Dropbox) that need to run constantly in the background (for photo upload) have problems working as intended since iOS will suspend the background apps EVEN IF you enable "background app refresh".
Thus, sometimes my photos are not uploaded and I will have to manually open the app and keep it open.

aztech44

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ever wondered, why android flagship tend to have <6gb of rams while iphone kept it as min as it can?

Iphone knew they doesnt need so much of rams to sustain thier software as much as they could while android throwing rams as much as they want to sustain the software that was not known if thier hardware could engage it.

Correct me if im wrong :o
Oh and nobody asking you to upgrade your iPhone annually. The software is tokong for more than 2Yrs. Proven :o

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ever wondered, why android flagship tend to have <6gb of rams while iphone kept it as min as it can?

Iphone knew they doesnt need so much of rams to sustain thier software as much as they could while android throwing rams as much as they want to sustain the software that was not known if thier hardware could engage it.

Correct me if im wrong :o
Oh and nobody asking you to upgrade your iPhone annually. The software is tokong for more than 2Yrs. Proven :o

Because unlike iOS, it is impossible to optimize for thousands of hardware combinations from multiple companies.

Pixel can do with just 4GB RAM as well.

That's just the way it is, similar to Windows vs Mac.

Pros and cons for either way but having a closed system allows Apple far more control and power over their consumers.

Reaction score
easier? Android now v9 liao still can’t fix e issue of backup n restore properly 🙄

not sure wat u mean abt issue of backup n restore, i did the processes on my Xperias phone upgrade with ease. The backup is done thru the google drive

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not sure wat u mean abt issue of backup n restore, i did the processes on my Xperias phone upgrade with ease. The backup is done thru the google drive

app data is not restored properly or at all even. if u only have basic stuff like sms, contacts then sure. iOS is 1-1 restore.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
iPhone for the last 10 years and I think it’s time to give up this nasty habit of buying apples.

1) how is android security
2) is it easy to switch?
3) I dreamt of using Note 9

Security is mostly user end. Android does not get as timely updates for sure. But as Long as you don’t install all sorts of nonsensical apps or apps outside of Google play store it is fine.

Yes with Samsung Smart switch it is. But WhatsApp is a common app that requires a paid app to transfer data. Everything else server side is easy.

Don’t expect as good standby battery life like iOS. Expect things to be more manual and user handled.

Also give this article a read.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90236195/forget-the-new-iphones-apples-best-product-is-now-privacy

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
iphone this year also 4GB memory. Same as android phone.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yep.. been using Samsung for many many years before i switch back to iphone.
Love how I could customize and do many things with it, until I got sick of lag.
I can reboot the phone, do nothing with it.. and after a while the RAM get used up to 70%-80% for no reason at all.
Samsung's solution? Switch to better cpu and add even more RAM with every iteration lor... instead of Google optimizing the OS.

Specs alone, iphone may have a "slower" cpu and less ram. But it's strength is responsiveness that gives the illusion that it's v smooth and fast.

My only gripe with iPhone is there is no "True multitasking"..
Apps (e.g. Dropbox) that need to run constantly in the background (for photo upload) have problems working as intended since iOS will suspend the background apps EVEN IF you enable "background app refresh".
Thus, sometimes my photos are not uploaded and I will have to manually open the app and keep it open.

Apple A series chipset is not slow by all means. Qualcomm still has a lot of things to do before they can eventually equaled A series chipset. Don’t say about beating them yet lol

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Apple A series chipset is not slow by all means. Qualcomm still has a lot of things to do before they can eventually equaled A series chipset. Don’t say about beating them yet lol

On that note, kirin as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.