[Club Discussion]AMD Ryzen Members Club

Red_herring

Reaction score
more threads on Ryzen can greatly improve on the converting time.

idk about handbrake but using x264 cli and x265 cli i typically see the following average figures for transcoding bah

~33fps for x264 1080p
~11fps for x265 1080p

also, 1700 o/c'd to 3.7ghz all core (basically a fake 1800X)
max cpu usage

Thanks both. Looks like ryzen is a better choice for me. :D

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I’m asking stoopid question

I’m currently using an 5yr old amd processor with 7950
And I’m thinking of upgrading my cpu mb and ram , keeping 7950 for the time being.... no particular games that I wanna play now
Which Ryzen would you recommend?

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I’m asking stoopid question

I’m currently using an 5yr old amd processor with 7950
And I’m thinking of upgrading my cpu mb and ram , keeping 7950 for the time being.... no particular games that I wanna play now
Which Ryzen would you recommend?

You best bet would be the 2600/x.

But the 7950 is starting to show its age. Why not save a bit more and do a 1x good one overhaul?

Nelia8686

Reaction score
Anyone experience major improvements moving from Intel to ryzen for the below type of usage?

Handbrake - mainly converting my blu rays/DVD (30% usage) - blu rays sometimes takes about 1 1/2 hr to finish....
Gaming - 40% of the time
Doing simple ms office work - 10%
Surfing net / youtube - 20%

Currently using i7 6700 but motherboard giving problems. Was thinking whether to just change m/b or take chance to switch to ryzen 5/7.

Basically for Productivity work - Ryzen
For Gaming - Intel

Handbrake- ryzen will be better because of more cores and threads

Gaming - Intel will be better for most games because of higher clock speed because games tend to favour more higher clock speed then more cores

Doing simple ms office and surf net youtube - Does not require much processing power so either ryzen or intel will be ok. For this type of work load a budget intel G5400 or the new athlon 200GE or ryzen 2200G will be sufficient.

Frankly speaking your i7 6700 is fine for your workload. Just change motherboard will do but if hand itch want to try new stuff and buy new toy to play can get ryzen 2700

Last edited:

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You best bet would be the 2600/x.

But the 7950 is starting to show its age. Why not save a bit more and do a 1x good one overhaul?

I actually abit reluctant to do full overhaul since I probably not going to play any game, nothing interest me at this point of time... itchi backside to upgrade...haha

Red_herring

Reaction score
Basically for Productivity work - Ryzen
For Gaming - Intel

Handbrake- ryzen will be better because of more cores and threads

Gaming - Intel will be better for most games because of higher clock speed because games tend to favour more higher clock speed then more cores

Doing simple ms office and surf net youtube - Does not require much processing power so either ryzen or intel will be ok. For this type of work load a budget intel G5400 or the new athlon 200GE or ryzen 2200G will be sufficient.

Frankly speaking your i7 6700 is fine for your workload. Just change motherboard will do but if hand itch want to try new stuff and buy new toy to play can get ryzen 2700

:s13: that part plays a big part.

I do think my gaming will start to drop down a fair bit and use more handbrake.

Getting too old to keep up with those young kids with faster reflexes.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience major improvements moving from Intel to ryzen for the below type of usage?

Handbrake - mainly converting my blu rays/DVD (30% usage) - blu rays sometimes takes about 1 1/2 hr to finish....
Gaming - 40% of the time
Doing simple ms office work - 10%
Surfing net / youtube - 20%

Currently using i7 6700 but motherboard giving problems. Was thinking whether to just change m/b or take chance to switch to ryzen 5/7.

Based on your usage, the video encode/decode will certainly benefit greatly from the extra cores and threads.

Gaming wise, Intel is still better, but AMD is catching up and the gap is closing.

For the remaining 2 usages, you will not experience any meaningful improvement regardless whether you are using Intel or AMD. Benchmarks may claim one is better than the other, but that is just some numbers that you cannot experience in actual usage.

Red_herring

Reaction score
forgot to mention the settings

those are medium/crf18

Thanks for sharing these details. I'm only converting to h264 and not even using crf. :D If I use crf and h265, I think my hair all white already by the time I finish converting them all. Good thing any Intel is that I can rely on the onboard gfx. So I'll usually do 1 DVD & 1 blu ray together. 1 relying on CPU, 1 relying on Intel onboard gfx. :D

Based on your usage, the video encode/decode will certainly benefit greatly from the extra cores and threads.

Gaming wise, Intel is still better, but AMD is catching up and the gap is closing.

For the remaining 2 usages, you will not experience any meaningful improvement regardless whether you are using Intel or AMD. Benchmarks may claim one is better than the other, but that is just some numbers that you cannot experience in actual usage.

Thanks. Yup. Looking to get 2700 soon but ram prices are crazy.... Not sure whether my current 2133 rams can be reused or not....

Zink00

Reaction score
only 3200 cl14 works for me :(
dLPjPz9l.png

Ur ** score is at what clock and cooler? Me using stock with 3200cl14 only 181X

Golden_Fox

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using INTEL CORE I3 4130 now. Which is the lowest Ryzen that is an upgrade from what I'm using?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2200g

10char
Really good processor for day to day light load stuff like office, email and web surfing. Can do some casual esports at 1080p 60fps for DOTA2, Fortnite and CS:GO alike.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

quiksive

Reaction score
IMG_0794.jpg

Finally. Anyway i would like to check if i only put 32GB of ram am i under utilize threadripper?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMG_0794.jpg

Finally. Anyway i would like to check if i only put 32GB of ram am i under utilize threadripper?
Depends on your usage? Which TR you bought and for what purpose?

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am using 1920X. Will be getting Asus zenith extreme.
Using it for Mainly lightroom, autocad and gaming.

32gb should be sufficient for most of the usage. >>>>>

Doing lightroom photo stitch, photoshop, video editing and rendering, games.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.