View Single Post
Old 14-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #651
BBCWatcher
Supremacy Member

Hey BBCW, what are your thoughts on the Dependents' Protection Scheme?
It's term life insurance, and assuming you need some (have at least one dependent), it can fit in well.

Pls pardon my ignorance but why are US stocks more actively sought after, despite the 30% dividend tax?
First of all, residents of most developed (and some other) countries don't pay a 30% dividend tax rate. They often pay 15%. U.S. persons don't pay 30% either; we pay at most 23.8% (top marginal federal rate, qualified dividends). It's you lucky residents of Singapore (who are not U.S. persons) who pay the 30% non-treaty rate. If you'd like to ask your MP to push Singapore to sign a tax treaty with the United States, you too could join the 15% club, probably.

Second, taxes are only one factor and not even a particularly important factor.

With the performance comparable to managed funds as well?
Actively managed funds, on average, do less well than passive index funds.

Just seems to me that a Biotech fund *for example* or even a regular customer oriented or healthcare fund bought say 5 or 7 years ago would have brought someone with a high risk appetite and significant surplus higher gains than a broad based ETF.
Hindsight is always 20-20.

Again, conditional on a high risk appetite aren't there are potentially higher rewards to be reaped?
Potentially.

On a related note, what advice would you give, BBCW, to someone like myself who was in the US (specifically, perhaps) for a long time, built up a US$50K equity portfolio via managed mutual funds like Vanguard or Fidelity, but is now in Singapore?
Those funds are in U.S. tax advantaged accounts -- 401(k) and/or IRA -- aren't they? If not, why not?

"Vanguard" and "Fidelity" don't really tell me much. Both of those firms can provide practically any/every security. Both are full service brokers. You'll likely have something like "Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares," to pick a random example -- some specific fund. The 3 to 5 letter trading symbols would be helpful if you'd like me to evaluate what you're holding.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote