[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doubt you'll need AiMesh for HDB if you are using such a powerful router.
AC88 alone is enough to cover 2-storey landed.
Even AC86 alone can cover entire 5-room HDB.
In the rare event you really need AiMesh, definitely can cover deadzone with proper placement.

This is an overstatement lol. No way man I am using 2x 88U and no way does it cover 5 room.

Riyas3009

Reaction score
Hi. I’m currently on singtel miotv and Fiber broadband. Up till today my connection is

Fiber point -> ont-> singtel router-> airties mesh 1-> (wireless ) airties mesh 2 -> miotv.

I had this set up because my master bed room have no data point and the mesh system worked well with my mio tv.

I wanted to replace my singtel router to Asus 88u. So my setup is

Fiber point -> ont-> Asus router-> airties mesh 1-> (wireless ) airties mesh 2 -> miotv.

I did enable vlan tagging in the router and connected my airties mesh 1 to port 4 of my Asus router. But my miotv is not starting up. Is there a way I can setup without running any trunking or using the singtel router. Please advise. Urgent. Thanks.

gign

Reaction score
hi all,

i am experiencing slow wifi speeds on this router even after upgrading from the DIR-865L.

Download speeds on wifi still average 1XX - 200mbps at most, but upload speed is about 400-600mbps.

is there a setting or configuration that i am missing or should enable/disable?

thank you!

murugaratham

Reaction score
This is an overstatement lol. No way man I am using 2x 88U and no way does it cover 5 room.

+1 this, I'm using 3 routers in fact.. there's a particular dead spot that I tend to use my phone, coz of the newer bto store room being in the middle of the house, WiFi signal can't pass thru that store at all. But for the small dead spot I only use a cheapo free router

DOINK1

Reaction score
Hi Shifu,

I've got a RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U router. I have created a mesh network with these two router (RT-AC88U - Main router and 5300 - Node).

Just wanna know if I need to upgrade any future firmware, do I have to upgrade the main router only or both my router?

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score

I used to use just one 88U for 5-rm (DBSS). Covers the whole area leh.
After that shift it to a 2-storey landed still covers the whole house (except the garden).
You have many things blocking or interfering with wifi signal ?

Last edited:

-Grift-

Reaction score
hi all,

i am experiencing slow wifi speeds on this router even after upgrading from the DIR-865L.

Download speeds on wifi still average 1XX - 200mbps at most, but upload speed is about 400-600mbps.

is there a setting or configuration that i am missing or should enable/disable?

thank you!
Try set channel width 80Mhz and channel 153

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to use just one 88U for 5-rm (DBSS). Covers the whole area leh.
After that shift it to a 2-storey landed still covers the whole house (except the garden).
You have many things blocking or interfering with wifi signal ?

Maybe many walls but i did aimesh so its ok. Gonna get ac5300 soon too. Not sure to use ac5300 for main or node though. Got 2 more ac88u

outrun100

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same problem too, I can't connect via mobile, but desktop is fine. tried reset and also downgrade the firmware but doesn't work. Anyone can help?

Finally resolved, the router was faulty, change to another router and working perfertly. Going to RMA now

dryteletubby

Reaction score
+1. i using 1x88u, 2x68u as aimesh nodes and yet at end of kitchen, totally no signal.

My guess is that the nodes are not placed in an ideal location.

Maybe you should consider running ethernet trunking in your house and use wired backhaul.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
+1. i using 1x88u, 2x68u as aimesh nodes and yet at end of kitchen, totally no signal.

Try to place the nodes where there's minimal walls in between.I can easily cover my entire 4 rm flat with a ac5300+ac68 combo.

Last edited:

editay

Reaction score
Good day would like to ask for advice for the below setting

ONT --> TP Link Switch --> AC 88 ( Router)(Living Room)
- -> (Study room)
- -> Bedroom 1 and 2)
Kind of no connection for my ac88u wireless router and others living rooms too... with a router after ONT i can get good signal. My point here is, can i use a switch immediately after ONT? Tks and hope for good advice

squarepipe

Reaction score
Yes, if you are a Network Guru like HMAN
Check out his thread here : https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...up-without-loop-back-lan-wire-db-5749611.html

No.

You have to use a router. I suggest a mikrotik hex 750gr3
https://s.lazada.sg/s.Zx9Z

If you are on Singtel this router supports vlan tags.

Else you can use it as a normal router in replacement of your switch.

Most people neckbeard not long enough to configure a mikrotik router or a level 3 switch

editay

Reaction score
One more noob question.
ONT --> AC66U --> AC88( wireless, only manage 400+)
--> Ethernet point(study room, direct to my PC, i am able to get 900+ download and upload speed)

Why i cant get wireless speed close to hardwire, ethernet port when i am just next to the router? Not even half!!! I am on M1 1gb plan.

Any guru on this can help.....

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One more noob question.
ONT --> AC66U --> AC88( wireless, only manage 400+)
--> Ethernet point(study room, direct to my PC, i am able to get 900+ download and upload speed)

Why i cant get wireless speed close to hardwire, ethernet port when i am just next to the router? Not even half!!! I am on M1 1gb plan.

Any guru on this can help.....

400mbps very fast already for Wi-Fi devices...
When you get 802.11ax router+devices, maybe can reach near wired speeds.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.