Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

LexusIS

Reaction score
yes. agree that age and stage of life is key consideration. i was obssessed with fd rates in the past, not daring to venture beyond it in terms of investment even when i was younger. the whole point of my rant is that for people with lesser than 200k to park, the SSB is the only place to do it (100K each with spouse),...use FD only when waiting for chance to park into SSB..it takes care of liquidity, give good rates and is safe. no fd comes close. for those with more money than that, get yourself accredited and access higher yielding instruments (no stocks, no structured instruments) with not much increase in risk. do not be like me who just chase FD in the past nia. :o....lucky something click inside my brain the last 2 weeks and now smarter liao..:s13:

Can consider Maxigain which is good. So while those highly rated bonds are good, do take care that bonds are inversely related to interest rates. As interest goes up it might impact bond prices

yongsaver

Reaction score
Can consider Maxigain which is good. So while those highly rated bonds are good, do take care that bonds are inversely related to interest rates. As interest goes up it might impact bond prices

yes. thats a consideration. thats why must get those bonds which either have a fixed maturity date or if they are perps, there is a good chance they will be redeemed either on first call date or there is a reset or step-up to adjust the rates or force redemption. Also when ir rates rise, for new bond issues, the coupons have to go up also. e.g. HDB cant be expecting to issue new bonds at below 3% going forward if ir goes way up. :s22:

To me the most key consideration is default risk, not so much interest rate risk. the issuer is the most important thing for me as i am super kiasi..:s13: i worry more about them not paying than the price of bonds dropping. :D

My goto page for initial bond selection....only company listed there qualify for further analysis. :s13:

https://www.temasek.com.sg/en/what-we-do/our-portfolio.html

LexusIS

Reaction score
yes. thats a consideration. thats why must get those bonds which either have a fixed maturity date or if they are perps, there is a good chance they will be redeemed either on first call date or there is a reset or step-up to adjust the rates or force redemption. Also when ir rates rise, for new bond issues, the coupons have to go up also. e.g. HDB cant be expecting to issue new bonds at below 3% going forward if ir goes way up. :s22:

To me the most key consideration is default risk, not so much interest rate risk. the issuer is the most important thing for me as i am super kiasi..:s13: i worry more about them not paying than the price of bonds dropping. :D

My goto page for initial bond selection....only company listed there qualify for further analysis. :s13:

https://www.temasek.com.sg/en/what-we-do/our-portfolio.html

Good that you consider everything. :)

Interest rate is expected to trend up for the next few years with expected 1 rate hike this yr and 2-3 next yr. This will affect bond prices and when rates goes up, chances of it getting called will also decrease as their cost of borrowing will be higher if the company/Govt called it and borrow from market.

So just need to plan for alternative cash holding, if not you might be hit with drop in bond price when you need cash (eg property investment, emergency etc)

yongsaver

Reaction score
Good that you consider everything. :)

Interest rate is expected to trend up for the next few years with expected 1 rate hike this yr and 2-3 next yr. This will affect bond prices and when rates goes up, chances of it getting called will also decrease as their cost of borrowing will be higher if the company/Govt called it and borrow from market.

So just need to plan for alternative cash holding, if not you might be hit with drop in bond price when you need cash (eg property investment, emergency etc)

agree. one should not dump everything into just one instrument, it should form part of the overall portfolio. my portfolio used to be overweighted in cash till couple of weeks ago when i kicked myself for overly kiasi...:s13:

last time
40% - real estate
60% - cash

my plan:
40% - real estate
20% cash
40% - Bonds
less than 1% in stocks..kiasi...:s13:

the interesting thing about SG IR is that it tracks the USD/SGD exchange rate...so there are ups and downs eventhough the general expectation of ir is up. i suspect that is partly the reason why the net effect on retail FD rates is very slow and we in this thread kpkb why retail FD rates move up so slow....worse, some even move down when u thought its going up...e.g. ICBC last month offering 1.85% FD rate for 1 year, this month went down to 1.65%.:s22: so IR movement is not so straightforward..and a perpetual bond with low coupon rate may still have a chance to be called. :D

kookymonster

Reaction score
yes. agree that age and stage of life is key consideration. i was obssessed with fd rates in the past, not daring to venture beyond it in terms of investment even when i was younger. the whole point of my rant is that for people with lesser than 200k to park, the SSB is the only place to do it (100K each with spouse),...use FD only when waiting for chance to park into SSB..it takes care of liquidity, give good rates and is safe. no fd comes close. for those with more money than that, get yourself accredited and access higher yielding instruments (no stocks, no structured instruments) with not much increase in risk. do not be like me who just chase FD in the past nia. :o....lucky something click inside my brain the last 2 weeks and now smarter liao..:s13:

Hi, can share how to become accredited investor?

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Need to go down to branch to sign a form. Very troublesome.
That's easy yo .... but UOB sure got some catches somewhere .... not known to be generous with their offerings. Usually will skip their ads one. Ha ha ....

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Bonds the maturity so long .... my investment horizon is not exceeding 3 years. By then, don't know whether still alive or not .... 哈哈。

yongsaver

Reaction score

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
I think those who bought Hyflux bonds issued by DBS Bank now already GG liao .... ha ha .... Govt linked corporation also what .... now how?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.