AppleCare+ vs 1 year limited warranty for iPhone XS

chinnian

Reaction score
If I don't buy AppleCare+ for the iPhone XS and if within a year, I need a screen replacement, is the repair cost still $42, and other damages $148?

Only after the 1st year, it becomes $418/$818?

So the benefit of AppleCare+ vs no AppleCare+ is basically just the extended year, and the express replacement (which is not available under limited 1 year warranty)?

Coming from a iPhone 7 now. Is calculating the cost/"risk factor" of not buying AppleCare+ this time as it's a lot more ex than iPhone 7.

Thanks!

jaymessofly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Without AppleCare+, repair costs will be $418/$818 even within the one year warranty period.

Only with AppleCare+ do you get to enjoy $42/$148 repairs throughout a 2-year period.

The screen repair at $42 is only limited to two repairs within the 2 year period if I remember correctly.

derkaiser94

Reaction score
Without AppleCare+, repair costs will be $418/$818 even within the one year warranty period.

Only with AppleCare+ do you get to enjoy $42/$148 repairs throughout a 2-year period.

The screen repair at $42 is only limited to two repairs within the 2 year period if I remember correctly.

It's essentially an insurance. Basically if you are someone who is careful with your personal items you are better off self-insuring.

bendwolf

Master Member
Reaction score
Dropped my X a few times from waist height. No cracks. No damage.

With casing in place.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I dropped and crack my iPhone X screen, but didn’t have time to send for screen replacement, and the crack become wider and longer after a few weeks. The damage is so bad until they cannot repair the screen except to replace it

End up paid $800+ for a replacement

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I don't buy AppleCare+ for the iPhone XS and if within a year, I need a screen replacement, is the repair cost still $42, and other damages $148?

Only after the 1st year, it becomes $418/$818?

So the benefit of AppleCare+ vs no AppleCare+ is basically just the extended year, and the express replacement (which is not available under limited 1 year warranty)?

Coming from a iPhone 7 now. Is calculating the cost/"risk factor" of not buying AppleCare+ this time as it's a lot more ex than iPhone 7.

Thanks!

Wrong, if you don't buy AppleCare+, your screen replacement from accidental damage will cost $418 even within the first year. The cost of $42/148 will apply if you're covered under AppleCare+'s 2 x accidental damage within the AppleCare+ coverage (2 years).

If your screen or phone happen to become faulty within 1 year without any drop or obvious damage, it's free to get it repaired under warranty..

flikmy

Reaction score
All my Apple products I never buy Apple care, until today all my iPhones/iPads/Apple Watch which exceeds 2 years still in good working condition.

I guess it depends on the user and how they protect their items (shock proof case etc).

My wife had applecare on her iphone 6 but accidentally cracked her screen 3 times. We replaced via applecare and the final time, just decided to throw/sell the phone away and get an iphone 7 instead. She now has a spigen shock proof case for the iphone 7.

I've had an iphone 5, 5s, 6 and 7. Didn't get any issues on the first 3 and so didn't bother with applecare, but my 7 dropped to the ground from my car accidentally by a family member. Gave a crack on the the top right of the screen, with glass bits dropping out. This was with a leather case on the phone. The screen still works though it can be unsightly. If I had applecare, I could have replaced the damage for $42. But instead, I've just lived with the crack for the past year.

I guess for a person that might like to keep their iphones naked (no case), it might be more prudent to have applecare. Especially in Singapore where floors tend to be tiles/cement instead of wood or carpets.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.