What happen when Medisave account hits the max?

Nofear40

Reaction score
Hi all, my SA account is still below the current $171k FRS, but my MA monthly contribution flows to my OA. Does anyone know why? I have done a 7k top up to SA this year. Not sure if I will still get income tax relief?

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my SA account is still below the current $171k FRS, but my MA monthly contribution flows to my OA. Does anyone know why? I have done a 7k top up to SA this year. Not sure if I will still get income tax relief?

This is strange. Can you show a screenshot of the statement?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you attempt to make a directed, Medisave-only cash top-up when your Medisave Account had already reached the Basic Healthcare Sum (BHS)?

maple96

Reaction score
If I can top-up means should be ok

Do you have cpfis SA account with balance?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your eligible top-up of 7k (assuming no refund for excess top-up) to SA this year will only be granted tax relief against this year’s income to be submitted next year.

According to CPF, once your MA reaches BHS, your medisave savings will flow to either your SA or RA.

If the top-up does not bring your SA to 171k, then your monthly MA contribution (above BHS) should flow into your SA.

Last edited:

Nofear40

Reaction score
Your eligible top-up of 7k (assuming no refund for excess top-up) to SA this year will only be granted tax relief against this year’s income to be submitted next year.

According to CPF, once your MA reaches BHS, your medisave savings will flow to either your SA or RA.

If the top-up does not bring your SA to 171k, then your monthly MA contribution (above BHS) should flow into your SA.

I forgot my SA investment
With this, I hit FRS

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I forgot my SA investment
With this, I hit FRS

Like that, you may not be eligible for tax relief on your top-up.

"Only cash top-ups within the following caps, which are computed based on the current Full Retirement Sum (FRS) and the recipient’s CPF savings, will be eligible for tax relief:

Below age 55 - Current FRS less the sum of Special Account (SA) savings and net SA savings withdrawn under CPF Investment Scheme for investments that have not been completely disposed of"

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.