Favourite RAW editor?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I am currently using the free version of capture one for sony for editing RAW files of my a6000.

I will soon be required to edit RAW files from a Nikon D850.

I have 2 ideas in mind. Firstly is to upgrade capture one to the pro edition to edit the Nikon's RAW or reinstall adobe lightroom which I have experience using a couple of years before.

Any one have any recommendations for a RAW editor?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am currently using the free version of capture one for sony for editing RAW files of my a6000.

I will soon be required to edit RAW files from a Nikon D850.

I have 2 ideas in mind. Firstly is to upgrade capture one to the pro edition to edit the Nikon's RAW or reinstall adobe lightroom which I have experience using a couple of years before.

Any one have any recommendations for a RAW editor?

Adobe Camera RAW which you can use in both Lightroom or Photoshop. Otherwise you can consider DxO Photo Lab. One more will be ON1 Photo RAW

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Adobe Camera RAW which you can use in both Lightroom or Photoshop. Otherwise you can consider DxO Photo Lab. One more will be ON1 Photo RAW

I think I have a old version of DxO photo lab. It probably doesn't support the Nikon raw. Also tried darktable and unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle compared to capture one or lightroom.

Still weighing my options.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I have a old version of DxO photo lab. It probably doesn't support the Nikon raw. Also tried darktable and unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle compared to capture one or lightroom.

Still weighing my options.

Nikon is like one of the oldest brand, why should it be not supported? I have been using it since D300, D3, and D3S. It is supported in their earlier software named Optics Pro. Photo Lab is their latest offer.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Nikon is like one of the oldest brand, why should it be not supported? I have been using it since D300, D3, and D3S. It is supported in their earlier software named Optics Pro. Photo Lab is their latest offer.

Unless I am mistaken most cameras have proprietary raw formats each tailored to an individual model. I seen quite a number of YouTube reviews claiming they can't test the raw performance of the new camera as lightroom or whatever editor they are using haven't been updated to work with the raw files.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken most cameras have proprietary raw formats each tailored to an individual model. I seen quite a number of YouTube reviews claiming they can't test the raw performance of the new camera as lightroom or whatever editor they are using haven't been updated to work with the raw files.

There are within the same branding of cameras where RAW are different across *series*, not models.

Nikon is using NEF across all its models so far which can produce RAW outputs. I could be mistaken, but for Nikon I am not aware that there is another RAW format.

Canon was using CR2, but recently there is CR3 released, and Sony only have ARW, I think.

For DxO there is 2 versions ELITE and ESSENTIAL. ESSENTIAL will provide most entry levels DSLR body + lens profiles, but ELITE will support more for pro models and lens combination.

Which model of Nikon are you using ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.