Insurance Policy Dilemma

switzerp800

Reaction score
Hi all, 3 years back I'd gotten for my dad an ILP from GE. Did not fully understand the numbers until recently when a relative fell sick.

The policy covers 50k death, 50k early CI (life), and 50k accident (expires 2034). Premium allocation to the investment component is near-zero as we only wanted the insurance component. Dad is 60 ANB, non-smoker, and only medical history is hypertension.

Currently the premium costs $3,050 per year and I'm thinking of cancelling the policy as the numbers don't look good, mainly due to the following reasons:

1. Death benefit not needed as he no longer has dependants
2. Coverage seems meagre compared to the premium cost. 3k compounded over 14 years at a modest 2% already yields 50k - making a simplistic assumption that we only get paid out on the 50k early CI component since it's the main focus; plus getting a CI within the next 14 years is not a sure event.
3. Existing private hosp shield plan would take care of hosp costs plus follow up for ~6 months if not mistaken

I'm thinking of either changing to a CI/ECI term plan or self-insuring though savings aren't substantial. Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

PsyClick

Reaction score
1. Take note that any replacement will not cover existing conditions, be prepared for additional loading of premiums
2. At this age early ci is very expensive, if still necessary consider Covering advance ci instead.
3. Accident plan can get stand alone. Can consider disability income plans.

Your existing ilp depending is backend or front end loading may have different implications if you surrender. Best you find a trusted agent to seek advice

Sent from Google PIXEL using GAGT

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, 3 years back I'd gotten for my dad an ILP from GE. Did not fully understand the numbers until recently when a relative fell sick.

The policy covers 50k death, 50k early CI (life), and 50k accident (expires 2034). Premium allocation to the investment component is near-zero as we only wanted the insurance component. Dad is 60 ANB, non-smoker, and only medical history is hypertension.

Currently the premium costs $3,050 per year and I'm thinking of cancelling the policy as the numbers don't look good, mainly due to the following reasons:

2. Coverage seems meagre compared to the premium cost. 3k compounded over 14 years at a modest 2% already yields 50k - making a simplistic assumption that we only get paid out on the 50k early CI component since it's the main focus; plus getting a CI within the next 14 years is not a sure event.
3. Existing private hosp shield plan would take care of hosp costs plus follow up for ~6 months if not mistaken

I'm thinking of either changing to a CI/ECI term plan or self-insuring though savings aren't substantial. Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

If you terminate this, your new CI/ECI will exclude hypertension, and almost certainly anything related to it as well.

Does your dad have any shield plan?

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Why did the agent recommend the ILP for your father when the insurance charge is so high?

coconut1

Reaction score

Agree, low value investment when no dependents.

Agree, use the savings to pay for a comprehensive hosp shield plan instead and still got substantial savings.

Agree, it will.

I'm thinking of either changing to a CI/ECI term plan or self-insuring though savings aren't substantial.

Can alternatively consider integrated shield plan rider but again is optional depending how risk-averse and ability to set some savings for co-payment/deductible.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Agree, low value investment when no dependents.

Agree, use the savings to pay for a comprehensive hosp shield plan instead and still got substantial savings.

Agree, it will.

I'm thinking of either changing to a CI/ECI term plan or self-insuring though savings aren't substantial.

Can alternatively consider integrated shield plan rider but again is optional depending how risk-averse and ability to set some savings for co-payment/deductible.

Did you forget that his dad has hypertension? Would you think the shield plan would cover that (if his dad hasn't already had one)?

tangent314

Reaction score
If you want to stop paying the $3k per year and still keep the insurance, you can convert the policy to being paid up. You no longer pay $3k per year, but the insurance company will sell off a small portion of your funds to pay for the insurance portion. This will continue until you fully cancel the plan or there is no more money left in the funds.

Alternatively, ask yourself if you really need the CI/ECI coverage. 50k is not a lot of money. If something were to happen that allows you to make a claim, is that money really going to make a significant difference?

If you really need CI/ECI coverage, are you prepared to go without coverage for hypertension? If so, then yes, it might be better to switch to a term plan. You may not necessarily lose coverage for hypertension, it would depend on a few things. It's best to check with your agent who would probably check with underwriting.

switzerp800

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone for your input. Yes, my dad is covered by a integrated shield plan (Totalhealth from GE up to Class A). Perhaps it's good to break it down into the various possible outcomes as some of you folks have highlighted the condition of hypertension. I will not attempt to blindly assign any specific probabilities but suppose it will help in dissecting this issue:

1. No major illnesses
2. Illness related to hypertension, perhaps a stroke or a cardiac disease: bulk of the costs should be covered by the shield plan; long term meds perhaps not too costly to warrant a CI plan. Any ops within the first 6 months are also covered by the shield plan IIRC.
3. Cancer: the costs will likely be too massive to be covered by the 50k anyway. His family also does not have a history of the illness.
4. Diabetes, others - not sure about the impact/possibility; but my dad is not obese so the risks might be lower.

I could be missing something here... Would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Yee Ping

Reaction score
Yes, I would think.

MOH says: "You are covered by MediShield Life even if you have a pre-existing medical condition."

Yes. MediShield Life will cover pre-existing illness, but there will be exclusion for ISP.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.