Iphone xs/xs max with or without contract

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually if people re-contract with telcos instead of buying without contract at 2k plus.

it will be cheaper with a contract at 1k plus.why are people still so angry and say won’t buy a 2k phone?

derkaiser94

Reaction score
Did the math comparing my corporate starhub xs plan vs circle life's base plan. I get 20% off with starhub as well as free caller ID. I need to top up an additional $6 for 3GB extra data so as to cover my monthly usage as well as make it a like for like comparison with circles life's base plan. But starhub is definitely cheaper over the two years when you factor in the subsidized phone cost.

But I'm sure this varies person by person. Maybe the other way holds true for someone who requires a huge amount of data each month.

Last edited:

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
You need to factor in how much will you be paying each month too.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually if people re-contract with telcos instead of buying without contract at 2k plus.

it will be cheaper with a contract at 1k plus.why are people still so angry and say won’t buy a 2k phone?

iPhone Xs
Singtel Combo 1
64GB $1,248.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $1917.6
256GB $1,468.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $2137.6
512GB $1,748.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $2417.6

Unless you have a CIS plan.. Telco pricing will be higher.

iNotion

Reaction score
For me, i need huge data. 15gb per month but i'm paying only $40 flat per month.
I have been buying phones without contract for a long while..

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Understood but no matter what we still need a phone and a contract which we are paying each month.

What I meant was even though buying without contract they will still be paying for telco services each month too.

We can always re-con for a cheaper new iPhone then buy it without contact?

You need to factor in how much will you be paying each month too.

jaymessofly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Understood but no matter what we still need a phone and a contract which we are paying each month.

What I meant was even though buying without contract they will still be paying for telco services each month too.

We can always re-con for a cheaper new iPhone then buy it without contact?

Getting a SIM only plan + a phone is almost always definitely than the plans telco bundle with phones. Unless you have CIS/CES.

radzkal

Reaction score
i calculated singtel's 1-yr sim-only 30gb plan w 64gb xs max and it costs more than 2-yr combo xo w same phone. why like that

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CIS plan with iPhone more wuhua. Telco usually subsidies 500$ with reference to singtel combo2

qwerty_hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, i need huge data. 15gb per month but i'm paying only $40 flat per month.
I have been buying phones without contract for a long while..

If you add in phone prices and spread the cost over 24 months, your monthly expenses would be $40 + (phone price / 24) appro 70plus per month?

derkaiser94

Reaction score
If you add in phone prices and spread the cost over 24 months, your monthly expenses would be $40 + (phone price / 24) appro 70plus per month?

Yeah for me I'm paying roughly $96 a month for the 256 XS with starhub's $48 CIS plan. with circles life and a full cost iphone it will average out to be $106 over 24 months.

jaymessofly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have to depend on your individual plans & needs.

I do not have any CIS/discounts etc with any telcos.

In my case, I’m using Circles.Life base plan $28/month. Bought phone from Carousell BNIB - from people who recontract, so I do get some savings again from SRP.

Calculated before and I do get some savings compared to signing a plan to get phone with telco.

Last edited:

qwerty_hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah for me I'm paying roughly $96 a month for the 256 XS with starhub's $48 CIS plan. with circles life and a full cost iphone it will average out to be $106 over 24 months.

Yeah! The best case would be CIS or multi-line discount.

Typically, telcos offer rewards system or potential recontract vouchers. Hence it might not be true that SIM-only plan offer the most value for money.

derkaiser94

Reaction score
Have to depend on your individual plans & needs.

I do not have any CIS/discounts etc with any telcos.

In my case, I’m using Circles.Life base plan $28/month. Bought phone from Carousell BNIB - from people who recontract.

Calculated before and I do get some savings compared to signing a plan to get phone with telco.

Yeah it certainly vary by individual. best is still do your own calculations and see what makes sense for you.

Yeah! The best case would be CIS or multi-line discount.

Typically, telcos offer rewards system or potential recontract vouchers. Hence it might not be true that SIM-only plan offer the most value for money.

oh yeah good point on the re-contract voucher bro. With that factored in, it will bring my cost per month down to $95 LOL. but im sure once I get my own house with my own internet/spouse phone line the voucher they offer will also be greater. i stress really must do your own calculations please.

Last edited:

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
i have 35 percent discount on my m1 line, making my $62 plan to become $40+. I still can claim mobile bill from company....so yea its a good deal to get via contract. Buy the phone and sell it away.

yrh0413

Reaction score
iPhone Xs
Singtel Combo 1
64GB $1,248.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $1917.6
256GB $1,468.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $2137.6
512GB $1,748.00 + $669.6($27.90 X 24) = $2417.6

Unless you have a CIS plan.. Telco pricing will be higher.

Yup that's what I notice too. I did my math and the Combo plan end up more than sim-only. Even with telco handset discount voucher sim-only plans will still be cheaper across 2 years. My contract just ended and I jumped from Combo2 to sim-only.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Did you factor in the combo plan discount even as a non CIS customer?

Circles for ST
MSS for M1
Hubber for SH

Yup that's what I notice too. I did my math and the Combo plan end up more than sim-only. Even with telco handset discount voucher sim-only plans will still be cheaper across 2 years. My contract just ended and I jumped from Combo2 to sim-only.

yrh0413

Reaction score
Did you factor in the combo plan discount even as a non CIS customer?

Circles for ST
MSS for M1
Hubber for SH

Nope I'm only interested with the postpaid mobile combo plan as other family members have their own preferences/existing plans.

i have been with Singtel postpaid mobile for 10 years and every 2 years I recontract their combo plans. I already noticed combo plan pricing is only slightly cheaper than sim+phone 2 years ago when I recontracted my iPhone7 Plus but this year sim-only end up being cheaper by $200 on a 2-years TCO.

derkaiser94

Reaction score
Nope I'm only interested with the postpaid mobile combo plan as other family members have their own preferences/existing plans.

i have been with Singtel postpaid mobile for 10 years and every 2 years I recontract their combo plans. I already noticed combo plan pricing is only slightly cheaper than sim+phone 2 years ago when I recontracted my iPhone7 Plus but this year sim-only end up being cheaper by $200 on a 2-years TCO.

nice good for you. pays to not be lazy and do your own math

yrh0413

Reaction score
combo plans still have its crowd even if one is not under CIS/Circle. the upfront payment is lesser

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.