Primary school education

Asd787

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my son is going primary one next year.
Understand now there’s no streaming in p4. They change it to standard and foundation subjects.

Anyone of u send your child to tuition? Is it too early to start tuition at p1?
How’s the primary school curriculum nowadays? Is it many homework and stressful kind?

And also, you guys send your child to student care? Is it better for them to go student care than come home and watch tv etc?
Still got...but subtlety...unannounced....weaker students are grouped in 1 class so as not to hinder the progress of stronger students thus each can ptogress at their respective pace....

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still got...but subtlety...unannounced....weaker students are grouped in 1 class so as not to hinder the progress of stronger students thus each can ptogress at their respective pace....

Yes thr is still a subtle streaming process.... Worse still, some schools push students to take standard subjects though their basics are very weak....

Sometimes i wonder, is it the right age to stream them and subject them to such intense pressure ?

Dream catcher

Reaction score
Kills the joy of learning ... sigh! Poor kids ... and the new PSLE 2021 new grading system not helping.

Yes thr is still a subtle streaming process.... Worse still, some schools push students to take standard subjects though their basics are very weak....

Sometimes i wonder, is it the right age to stream them and subject them to such intense pressure ?

freewilly5000

Reaction score
Yes - I’m English teacher in SG. Have to say the PSLE is extremely difficult for bilingual children

smiletutor

Reaction score

Despite being in the tuition industry, I completely agree that students are under too much pressure in Singapore. I don't really think its right for students to be placed in a be-all and end-all high stakes education.

At primary 6, it's not right to say all students have developed and are ready to tackle PSLE. Some students do better in secondary school/ poly but if they do badly for PSLE, poly may not even be a choice they get to make in the future.

Yowe55 mini

Reaction score
Dear all,

Please kindly advise and recommend good experience English mentor/tuition teacher for primary school children.

I am exploring and searching for an effective learning for two primary school children.

Confidence for the future...
Thank you.

basicbrenda

Reaction score
I took my kids to Jan&Elly - they are phonics based for young ones and then they do class for P1 to P6 to practice for PSLE

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My kid is pri 2 in 2019. He excels in English and maths (and even science as he is very interested in science and reads tons of books) but he hates his mother tongue and the also the mother tongue teacher. He doesn't want to talk but still copes with writing. I tried to help him in every way but no success.

Are there any parents in similar situation? I wish we have a option to pull him out from mother tongue language; because at this rate he may soon start to hate school...

sadsad123

Banned
Reaction score
I think for mother tongue we need to try and create and interest for the language first.

If it is Chinese, I would suggest maybe some comic books in that language, cartoons, games or history/mythology of China. Most of our kids are bad in Chinese because we seldom speak to them in Chinese, so no choice, need to think of creative solutions so that can improve.

Dream catcher

Reaction score
Now with ALL exams and weighted assessments for P1 and P2 pupils removed. Also mid-year exams for P3 and P5 as well as Sec 1 and Sec 3 levels scrapped, is there really a need for parents to send kids for tuition? Isn’t this new initiative by MOE to move away from grades what most parents have been asking for? Maybe parents should give their kids a chance to learn not to be so reliant on tuition, encourage them to pay attention in class, complete their hmwk/revision on time. Spend more time with your kids to understand and supervise their learning journey so that they don’t feel too left out or alone. And you’ll be surprise at how much more resilient and capable your kids are than you thought.

Last edited:

Metrix

Reaction score
Ask him why he hates it. Do you like your MT?

My kid is pri 2 in 2019. He excels in English and maths (and even science as he is very interested in science and reads tons of books) but he hates his mother tongue and the also the mother tongue teacher. He doesn't want to talk but still copes with writing. I tried to help him in every way but no success.

Are there any parents in similar situation? I wish we have a option to pull him out from mother tongue language; because at this rate he may soon start to hate school...

RRGALS

Reaction score
My girl is in P4 and I kind of regretted not sending her to tuition earlier since P1/2. The basic foundation is not built and she is having a lot of difficulty catching up in class now.

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now with ALL exams and weighted assessments for P1 and P2 pupils removed. Also mid-year exams for P3 and P5 as well as Sec 1 and Sec 3 levels scrapped, is there really a need for parents to send kids for tuition? Isn’t this new initiative by MOE to move away from grades what most parents have been asking for? Maybe parents should give their kids a chance to learn not to be so reliant on tuition, encourage them to pay attention in class, complete their hmwk/revision on time. Spend more time with your kids to understand and supervise their learning journey so that they don’t feel too left out or alone. And you’ll be surprise at how much more resilient and capable your kids are than you thought.

kid r kid . need to push in order to study, if not play all the way. WE been through that

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.