PSA Do not buy a Macbook that u can't replace that batteries with

Beepok

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u are looking to use your MacBook for 10 years, the hardware will be okay but the battery will die. When the battery die and the product is a vintage product and u can't replace that battery you're screwed. The processor will lock to 0.8ghz and even will fill your CPU with a cancer called kernel_task that use a few hundred % of cpu. The workaround is to delete a .plist kernel file. After that it won't be filled up with cancer but your processor will still be locked to 0.8ghz! Be aware of this, don't make the same mistake as me. Make sure that the battery can be replaced aftermarket if u want to use your MacBook for many years.

squarepipe

Reaction score
The only reason why laptops and smartphone have non user replaceable batteries is called planned obsolescence.

basically in 3-5 years time your battery will wear out and since it can't be replaced easily, you are more inclined to buy a whole new laptop/phone.

Apple is the pioneer for planned obsolescence. Last time a lot of laptops and phones have user replaceable battery. Now most manufactures got smarter and copied apple policy of built in battery to squeeze more money out of their customer down the road.

You can only pry my think pad and xiaomi note 4g both with user replaceable batteries off my cold dead hands.

Beepok

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cannot buy new batt from apple?

Cannot. Try buying battery for the 17 inch MacBook Pro. Cannot right. Luckily that one can change aftermarket one. But the newer MacBooks with Super complicated layout maybe change an aftermarket battery is going to be a huge challenge. Do research beforehand and make sure that u are capable of replacing the battery on your own down the road before buying

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
The only reason why laptops and smartphone have non user replaceable batteries is called planned obsolescence.

basically in 3-5 years time your battery will wear out and since it can't be replaced easily, you are more inclined to buy a whole new laptop/phone.

Apple is the pioneer for planned obsolescence. Last time a lot of laptops and phones have user replaceable battery. Now most manufactures got smarter and copied apple policy of built in battery to squeeze more money out of their customer down the road.

You can only pry my think pad and xiaomi note 4g both with user replaceable batteries off my cold dead hands.

What.. No it isn't planned obsolescence.. It is more of responsible sustainability, which Apple is well and far ahead of others when it comes to taking care of Our Earth with it's recycling and repairing program.

Unlike third party or even user fixing the device. Apple's authorized providers can ensure the quality, safety, and security of repairs for customers. And when products do reach the end of life, Apple takes responsibility for recycling them safely and responsibly and along with parts that you might want to be replaced as well.

Everything is getting smaller and smaller, there isn't much room for error these days. Something goes wrong and you can do more damage than good and when if such things do happen to a user/third party it will only cost more to repair. If it happens through Apple service and really an error was made. They will give you a whole new device or fix with parts on their end FOC.

squarepipe

Reaction score
What.. No it isn't planned obsolescence.. It is more of responsible sustainability, which Apple is well and far ahead of others when it comes to taking care of Our Earth with it's recycling and repairing program.

Unlike third party or even user fixing the device. Apple's authorized providers can ensure the quality, safety, and security of repairs for customers. And when products do reach the end of life, Apple takes responsibility for recycling them safely and responsibly and along with parts that you might want to be replaced as well.

Everything is getting smaller and smaller, there isn't much room for error these days. Something goes wrong and you can do more damage than good and when if such things do happen to a user/third party it will only cost more to repair. If it happens through Apple service and really an error was made. They will give you a whole new device or fix with parts on their end FOC.
Bro. Take a look at Louis Rossmann mac repair videos and you see apple will deliberately design its devices to be as inconvenient to repair for the user as possible. ps apple even tried to sue him to take down his repair guide but failed. linustechtips is also a channel that shows how hard it is to upgrade/repair the new iMac pro. Even apple themselves cant repair it...

In 2018 even hardcore apple fans will admit that apple products aren't design to last very long. Take a look at reddit.com/r/apple plenty of people there are the original apple enthusiast that used apple since the original apple 2 from 1980s not the new hipster user base that only use mac because windows sucks etc. Those people watch apple come from a niche computer company to the present day mass produced disposable gadget company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NU7yOSElE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwEInwvFbwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNl2q6YZXlA

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score

You sound like an apple evangelical that just convert when they saw the 1st iPhone announcement. Unfortunately times have changed, apple is getting more and more underhand with their techniques to boost sales. Planned obsolesce now is also done with slowing down the software. News of it you can google. Having shrinking electronics is not a valid reason to why it can't be repaired. Most malls in Singapore will have a couple of phone repair shops for proof. Apple on the other hand limits the availability of their spare parts forcing you to go back to them for repairs.

Its almost like buying a car and finding out you have to get servicing from the manufacturer even when warranty is over. this however is not uncommon as companies like BMW etc limits spare parts and software for running diagnostics to the dealers. Maybe you will see it as a good thing. But for car owners, they see it as a lack of choice. At least apple havent pulled a John Deere and start suing owners of their product for DIYing the repair.

Last edited:

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 2010 13" still in use, but the battery is dead, thought of changing the battery, but forget it... since I hardly use it except to watch youtube and surfing the net.

I've already replaced it with a 2016 15", working great, as for battery life... as long as it survives 5 years, my ROI would have worked itself out, I won't bother about it to 'how long' it can live.

Nothing lives forever, not even MBPs.

Beepok

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 2010 13" still in use, but the battery is dead, thought of changing the battery, but forget it... since I hardly use it except to watch youtube and surfing the net.

I've already replaced it with a 2016 15", working great, as for battery life... as long as it survives 5 years, my ROI would have worked itself out, I won't bother about it to 'how long' it can live.

That's the issue with me. MacBook are very similarly specced. I spent $4k+ in 2012 for a 17 inch MacBook pro and now it's bogged by a dead battery severely limiting performance to 0.8ghz. even browsing web Carousell is a pain because there is input lag of 1 second for every scroll or keyboard letter typing. The hardware is 100% okay. I took it apart and reapplied thermal paste and change an Intel 730ssd. Theoretically it should be extremely fast in day to day task. However because of a removed battery it's stuck at 0.8ghz across 4 cores. No way to disable. Hence the PSA.

I have a 2011 MacBook air and that thing is still blazing fast to use although lower in spec. If u have a new battery and new SSD I can guarantee u will not wanna upgrade. Unless because of the crappy dotty screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyNameIsNas

Reaction score
What you need is just a battery replacement... Battery is consumable part mahh... Try calling apple service provider see if they still have stock before considering third party

squarepipe

Reaction score
This is why you don't buy a laptop with a build in non user replaceable battery... I have a thinkpad x230 for 6 years. Bought a new battery from eBay pop it in and now good as new :)

Marcus19

Reaction score
My 7 year old macbook pro still working just fine...battery still >80% and still running on the original battery. But yeah it’s not my main laptop now

007Mi6

Reaction score
That means left only ThinkPad that suits you. T480 with removable battery and most other ThinkPad will offer easy to replace batteries.

hyperpower

Reaction score
I got a 2015 macbook pro 13 inch, used for 2 years plus and now the battery starts to bloat. This is the second time. First time was last year and apple changed it for free for me. Now it happen again I wonder what I should do about it

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2012 model battery can replace

That's the issue with me. MacBook are very similarly specced. I spent $4k+ in 2012 for a 17 inch MacBook pro and now it's bogged by a dead battery severely limiting performance to 0.8ghz. even browsing web Carousell is a pain because there is input lag of 1 second for every scroll or keyboard letter typing. The hardware is 100% okay. I took it apart and reapplied thermal paste and change an Intel 730ssd. Theoretically it should be extremely fast in day to day task. However because of a removed battery it's stuck at 0.8ghz across 4 cores. No way to disable. Hence the PSA.

I have a 2011 MacBook air and that thing is still blazing fast to use although lower in spec. If u have a new battery and new SSD I can guarantee u will not wanna upgrade. Unless because of the crappy dotty screen.

pinkdior

Reaction score
Does anyone knows other than the battery replacement cost listed on the apple website, do they charge any other service fees? my 2013 mbp battery is bloated, and it stated it cost $288 to replace the battery. Wanted to compare the cost before i decide if i want to try to DIY it.

pyu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In 2018 even hardcore apple fans will admit that apple products aren't design to last very long.

Let's be fair. I think that is exaggerated given the fact that the average lifespan of modern portable electronic products with lithium batteries in general are measured in 2/3 year blocks now and not in decades. I have a 4, a 5s and a 6s Plus that are still working, not to mention a iPad mini and my Macbook Pro from 2013 that I recently replaced the battery.

I do agree with Rossman's point that Apple products are hardly the greatest example of a product designed to be repaired by third parties but if I compare Apple products with other competitors, I think it is fair to say under normal usage, they are going to last longer than other competing products from Android phone manufacturers or Windows laptop users.

If you want something that can really lost that long, perhaps can look at getting a desktop computer given that there is no consumable part in one - save perhaps the write limit of a SSD or when the capacitors or power coil will blow out. :s22:

Does anyone knows other than the battery replacement cost listed on the apple website, do they charge any other service fees? my 2013 mbp battery is bloated, and it stated it cost $288 to replace the battery. Wanted to compare the cost before i decide if i want to try to DIY it.

No other service fee. It is $288 because the original battery is glued to the top part of the laptop and when they replace it, they replace the entire assembly.

Last edited:

squarepipe

Reaction score
Let's be fair. I think that is exaggerated given the fact that the average lifespan of modern portable electronic products with lithium batteries in general are measured in 2/3 year blocks now and not in decades. I have a 4, a 5s and a 6s Plus that are still working, not to mention a iPad mini and my Macbook Pro from 2013 that I recently replaced the battery.

I do agree with Rossman's point that Apple products are hardly the greatest example of a product designed to be repaired by third parties but if I compare Apple products with other competitors, I think it is fair to say under normal usage, they are going to last longer than other competing products from Android phone manufacturers or Windows laptop users.

If you want something that can really lost that long, perhaps can look at getting a desktop computer given that there is no consumable part in one - save perhaps the write limit of a SSD or when the capacitors or power coil will blow out. :s22:
I have an issue with the build in battery policy as that is the part most likely to wear out in its lifetime.

In my case I have an iPad 2, a thinkpad x230 and my mom xiaomi phone all bought around the same time 2012ish. Both the laptop and phone had its battery replaced and is still in use to this day. The iPad however has been a paperweight for over a year. Not to mention every IOS update had made my iPad slower and slower :mad:

thisisnotme1212

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

how chiu noes its stuck at 0.8ghz?
moi also gotch a 7yo mbp.
upgraded to ssh and ram once.
still pretty speedy for normal usage.
battery cannot rast long without power only.

Beepok

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how chiu noes its stuck at 0.8ghz?
moi also gotch a 7yo mbp.
upgraded to ssh and ram once.
still pretty speedy for normal usage.
battery cannot rast long without power only.

Intel power gadget. Better change your battery soon. Once the health drops to Please Service Battery, your professor stuck at 0.8ghz

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
r u sure it's not yr thermal paste losing its function? 6yr MacBook leh :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.