IWDA/VWRA/ISAC ETF - Some of the Best ETF

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
If im investing sgd500/month.
To be hitting the min comm. I should be doing yearly of 6000sgd?

Thank you

Assuming you are referring to SCB,

The min comm is in USD in this case.
If you want to hit the min comm in 1 single transaction, it'll have to be a >= 4000USD. Will that be 6000SGD? That depends on the exchange rate.

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah understand that unless i can invest more monthly

It doesn't have to be strictly monthly. Neither do you need to hit the min comms.
You can bunch up your 500SGD and buy every 3 months or so.

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All, can someone share the summary how to get about IWDA ETF? :o I want to get but unsure which broker to use. :o Beside IB, which broker to use? :o

Initiatives

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and started investing in IWDA today.

Just to check, the stamp duty will not be charged for the fee right?

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
Any others? Scb?

ST's suggestion is that if your investable amount is <1k per month, bunching it up in SCB might be better.
You can do a rough simulation to see which is more suitable.

Also, IB has better fx rate than SCB as per others' replies.

Not too sure about other brokerages outside IB and SCB since they either charge higher comms and/or require custodian fees.

Reaction score
https://alvinpoh.com/the-best-index-fund-portfolio-mix-for-non-us-investors/

Can I use IB to buy IWDA + EIMI through LSE

For non-US investors, buying ETFs domiciled in the US has several disadvantages that make it a pretty lousy deal:

Dividends are taxed. For Singaporeans, it’s going to be 30%.
If you own a total of more than USD60,000 of US assets (stocks, ETFs, properties, etc), you’ll face an estate tax. For Singaporeans, it’ll be a fixed sum PLUS around 18% to 35% of your assets. Just as a fun piece of trivia: if you are a US national, your limit is not USD60,000, but around USD5,000,000.

caesium5

Reaction score
Do we need to pass any test from SGX before allowed to invest in these ETFs?

Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For non-US investors, buying ETFs domiciled in the US has several disadvantages that make it a pretty lousy deal:
Dividends are taxed. For Singaporeans, it’s going to be 30%.
Stock dividends, yes. Distributions from U.S. bond funds can be tax free, depending on what the bond fund is holding and/or how the fund manager reports interest.

If you own a total of more than USD60,000 of US assets (stocks, ETFs, properties, etc), you’ll face an estate tax.
You won't face anything (except a pine box or urn); you'll be a dead body at that point. Your estate pays the tax after you're gone.

For Singaporeans, it’ll be a fixed sum PLUS around 18% to 35% of your assets. Just as a fun piece of trivia: if you are a US national, your limit is not USD60,000, but around USD5,000,000.
This information is a bit out of date. The top marginal estate tax rate was raised to 40% a few years ago (deaths in 2013 onward). The exemption for U.S. persons is US$11.18 million in 2018 (up from US$5.49 million in 2017); or unlimited if the heir is a U.S. citizen spouse (same or opposite sex) and as long as the deceased is not a former U.S. person, when special "covered expatriate" rules may apply. If the surviving spouse acquires U.S. citizenship within 9 months of his/her spouse's demise, that's good enough to qualify for the unlimited spousal exemption -- and many U.S. resident non-citizen spouses do exactly that if they're about to inherit a large estate.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do we need to pass any test from SGX before allowed to invest in these ETFs?
No. You don't have to pass an Android test to buy an Apple iPhone either. The London Stock Exchange and the Singapore Stock Exchange are completely different stock markets.

Ch3tah_39

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and started investing in IWDA today.

Just to check, the stamp duty will not be charged for the fee right?

yes, no stamp duty. If you happened to use SCB, stamp duty will be reflected when placing order. But actually, no amount is charged, only the higher of US$10 or 0.2% cost and GST is charged when you buy.:D

mousepad_88

Reaction score
Sorry newbie here in buying stock/ETF. IF i were to buy say $1000 worth of IWDA every 3 months, how do i key it in? It only allows me to key in the quantity of shares i want to buy and not the amount and i cant seem to give a good figure so that it is worth exactly $1000 of IWDA.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry newbie here in buying stock/ETF. IF i were to buy say $1000 worth of IWDA every 3 months, how do i key it in? It only allows me to key in the quantity of shares i want to buy and not the amount and i cant seem to give a good figure so that it is worth exactly $1000 of IWDA.

1) Find the equivalent USD of your $1000 which is in SGD
2) Divide the USD amount by the share price of IWDA that you are going to purchase on the trading day
3) Round down your number of shares into a whole number

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.