New Ubiquiti setup! Still a work in progress.

milanmania2004

Reaction score
Pretty simple. Many guides on available online.
For my setup, i installed raspbian os on the pi, Java and the unifi itself.

Sent from Essential Products PH-1 using GAGT

ksksksks

Reaction score
Like to check if the set up is as same like any other routers.

Just that there is an additional POE injector in between ONT and the AP?

Is UAP nano HD or AC pro better for coverage (5 rm flat)

Totally new to this. Hope someone can guide me along.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Like to check if the set up is as same like any other routers.

Just that there is an additional POE injector in between ONT and the AP?

Is UAP nano HD or AC pro better for coverage (5 rm flat)

Totally new to this. Hope someone can guide me along.

The uap line are not routers they are access points. You will have to get a router and possibly a switch as well. Ubiquiti makes the whole stack but you can use your existing router.

On the ubiquiti subreddit I think they state that the nano HD has better range then the pro.

You will have to power it via PoE either via the injector or a PoE switch

ksksksks

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Will be setting up tonight :s12:

The uap line are not routers they are access points. You will have to get a router and possibly a switch as well. Ubiquiti makes the whole stack but you can use your existing router.

On the ubiquiti subreddit I think they state that the nano HD has better range then the pro.

You will have to power it via PoE either via the injector or a PoE switch

CyberMew

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
USG Router = $180
8 Port POE Switch = $185
AC Pro AP = $200

Maybe you like a in-wall unit for the master bedroom to cover 5ghz = $170.
Is the switch necessary? I also have one ac lr. My Asus router died and I’m wondering if just the USG would be sufficient for my needs? I’m assuming the router has dns and firewall stuffs and QoS and port forwarding and openvpn server capability? Or better off buying a new Asus ac86u router?

-Grift-

Reaction score
Is the switch necessary? I also have one ac lr. My Asus router died and I’m wondering if just the USG would be sufficient for my needs? I’m assuming the router has dns and firewall stuffs and QoS and port forwarding and openvpn server capability? Or better off buying a new Asus ac86u router?
Unless you need more than 2 Ethernet ports or POE I don’t see why you would need the switch. Note that the 2 ports on USG are on different LANs/IP ranges but devices have no issues talking to each other.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

The moment u use more than 1 port on the USG for Lan your switching speed will drop below 1Gbps since the USG has no switching hardware.

squarepipe

Reaction score
Looks like time for a fight with Singtel. Tks for the tip it can be done but only backend.
What type of scum ISP need to be threaten with cancellation before they will set their device to bridge mode?

I thought they cannot be worse with their DNS hijacking policies now this?

Why would any self respecting person knowingly sign up?

CyberMew

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yea I already have a Netgear GS308 switch connected to my devices. My current set up is like this N66U -> switch -> UniFi ac LR. Since my router died I’m looking for either a USG (the basic version) or a EdgeRouter to replace my Asus router but not sure if both is overkill. Does the USG have features that the Asus router have? And better performing with those features turned on?

Edit: I have 1gbps connection and does heavy downloading and uploading together at times

Farish

Reaction score
Yea I already have a Netgear GS308 switch connected to my devices. My current set up is like this N66U -> switch -> UniFi ac LR. Since my router died I’m looking for either a USG (the basic version) or a EdgeRouter to replace my Asus router but not sure if both is overkill. Does the USG have features that the Asus router have? And better performing with those features turned on?

Edit: I have 1gbps connection and does heavy downloading and uploading together at times

Were you using the N66U's wifi to supplement with Unifi's AP? If so, then u will need another consumer router with wifi built in. If not, then the USG will be more than ample for the 1gig connection (cannot switch on the IPS feature).

cloudwane

Reaction score
If you want to have a full unifi stack then you will want a USG (router) + unifi switch 8 or 16 port + unifi AP(s). As you have a synology nas, you can run the unifi controller as a docker container on it.

Hi All,

Apologies that I did not manage to follow up on this as I was too caught up with work lately.

Based on the feedback, I would need the following devices:
USG Router = $180
8 Port POE Switch = $185
AC Pro AP = $200

Is 1 AC enough for the house? I have appended my floor plan here for reference and it's an EA unit of about 135sm ~ 1453 sq feet.

Where to purchase the Unifi equipment? In additional, my wife would still wants to have the Starhub TV where we are currently on cable and I understand that we have to upgrade to Starhub Fibre TV going forward? Is it possible to run two networks as I'm currently using ViewQuest Fibre.

jKRHHBK.png

I intend to setup all my equipments marked at the green box and the access point installed in the false ceiling (orange circle) where I intend to pull a data cable as well. There will be data points going to each of the bedrooms. For the masterbed room, there will be two cable points, one at the study area and another one at the TV area.

cloudwane

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies that I did not manage to follow up on this as I was too caught up with work lately.

USG Router = $180
8 Port POE Switch = $185
AC Pro AP = $200

Is 1 AC enough for the house? I have appended my floor plan here for reference and it's an EA unit of about 135sm ~ 1453 sq feet.

Where to purchase the Unifi equipment? In additional, my wife would still wants to have the Starhub TV where we are currently on cable and I understand that we have to upgrade to Starhub Fibre TV going forward? Is it possible to run two networks as I'm currently using ViewQuest Fibre.

jKRHHBK.png

I intend to setup all my equipments marked at the green box and the access point installed in the false ceiling (orange circle) where I intend to pull a data cable as well. There will be data points going to each of the bedrooms. For the masterbed room, there will be two cable points, one at the study area and another one at the TV area.

Hi All,

Need to seek the advise on the equipment I would need to purchase and where about can I get it as well.

Appreciate the help and advise in advance.

DiscMan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need to seek the advise on the equipment I would need to purchase and where about can I get it as well.

you wont be getting a cloud key? Actually u can try to use Unifi Cloud Controller software to estimate the coverage of the AC Pro over your floor plan for 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. My rough estimate is that your layout may need 2 AC Pro to cover the entire house. But since u have data points at the rooms, u can consider adding on In Wall units later on if the wireless coverage is really that bad.

Farish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I usually get mine from Carousell.. seller is sublime.telecom. Good prices and support from him. Quite a few shops in SLS is also selling the Unifi solution.

You current shortlisted equipment list looks ok but you might need an additional AP at your Living area.

cloudwane

Reaction score
you wont be getting a cloud key? Actually u can try to use Unifi Cloud Controller software to estimate the coverage of the AC Pro over your floor plan for 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. My rough estimate is that your layout may need 2 AC Pro to cover the entire house. But since u have data points at the rooms, u can consider adding on In Wall units later on if the wireless coverage is really that bad.

I usually get mine from Carousell.. seller is sublime.telecom. Good prices and support from him. Quite a few shops in SLS is also selling the Unifi solution.

You current shortlisted equipment list looks ok but you might need an additional AP at your Living area.

Thanks for the kind advise. However, I still have concern if I need to run two networks (Starhub for IPTV and ViewQuest which I'm using now).

Is that possible with the switch and USG router?

fanflo_08

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

USG Router = $180
8 Port POE Switch = $185
AC Pro AP = $200

jKRHHBK.png

You will probably need 2 APs.

fanflo_08

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just got mine set up

USG-PRO-4
US-16-150W
UAP-AC-PRO
UC-CK
Mounted on a 6U Startech wall mount, bought a 1U PDU (UK PLUG), hid it inside a small closet which used to house my AC68U router.

For those using viewqwest, when you switch to the new USG, please call their technical hotline 3102 0000 and inform them you are switching to a new networking device. They will check from their end and "clear" the old MAC ID from their system.

Upgraded both switch and AP but the USG i just leave it as it is because I want to monitor if there are any random reboots. My USG was tested in April 2018. Not sure if the problem was fixed by then. I also changed to 2 Noctua fans. Tried the original fans and it was ridiculously loud. The Noctua fans are very silent but my hardware are running hot. Monitoring for a few days first before buying a small USB fan to cool it.

Also saving up to buy a rackmount NAS (still thinking about it though) but for now the internet is temporarily settled till the inch starts again. :D

Hi.

I am using a full ubiquiti setup as well.
On M1 1 gbps.

USG
US-8-150W
UAP-AC-PRO
getting the cloud key gen2 plus.
planning to get a nas when my current setup is full.

My USG is pretty warm. Anyone using this has the same experience?

Can share what are some of the setups to optimise performance?

squarepipe

Reaction score
Hi.

I am using a full ubiquiti setup as well.
On M1 1 gbps.

USG
US-8-150W
UAP-AC-PRO
getting the cloud key gen2 plus.
planning to get a nas when my current setup is full.

My USG is pretty warm. Anyone using this has the same experience?

Can share what are some of the setups to optimise performance?

skip the cloudkey as you can run the controller on your nas as docker container

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.