The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
yup, the other side is single vision. I actually used a progressive lens due to cataract ops.. i had expected the IV or even FV or NV to not match single vision but was quite shocked that currently the IV seems to be blurry to the point that i cannot read words on computer.

the NV when i force my eyeball glance to most bottom area then i manage to find a point that seems to be clear. but the area is extremely small like maybe just 1 or 2 lines of whatsapp..

really hope would be able to troubleshoot to at least let me see properly..

Im guessing the frame width might be abit too large.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im guessing the frame width might be abit too large.

btw you mentioned office lens. May i ask if this lens actually purely provide IV range like a reading glasses that is a single vision at NV?

i google and came up with a brand of lens specifically saying office lens actually can cover NV and IV. does this type of lens require looking into diff segment like progressive to get NV and IV range clear? or worked like a single vision.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
btw you mentioned office lens. May i ask if this lens actually purely provide IV range like a reading glasses that is a single vision at NV?

i google and came up with a brand of lens specifically saying office lens actually can cover NV and IV. does this type of lens require looking into diff segment like progressive to get NV and IV range clear? or worked like a single vision.

Yes, office lens is designed to have a clear distance within office environment.
Room, desktop and even documents (reading)

yes it works like a progressive but it is useful for a smaller range of distance which is why the area of clarity is larger than a conventional progressive.

sometimes it is not just the lens, practitioners have to ask many questions to determine the best type of lenses for you. takes experience to do that ;)

wishxtreme

Reaction score
Was at KSL and ask the prices of their Zeiss. After discount, their PC +digital lenses is rm861.

Is it cheap?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Was at KSL and ask the prices of their Zeiss. After discount, their PC +digital lenses is rm861.

Is it cheap?

anything across the border definitely cheaper. :s13:
but let me ask you, for such lenses which are not so straightforward, if you have problems with it like user sibeheng in the replies below, are you okay to head back and forth to solve the problem? :s13:

just my opinion:s12:

MultiSystemAtrophy

Reaction score
Thumbs up to gangsterkia. Me and my wife got our glasses two weeks ago from him.

He's young (relative to me) but quite open to questions and education. Careful with the checks. Willing to go the extra step. Good service.

daniel798

Reaction score
Is it very common for shops to quote frame + lens?

Any recommendations on shops in the west or cbd that will quote seperately? Reson being that my company covers lens only so need seperate to claim.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2S using GAGT

Reaction score
Is it very common for shops to quote frame + lens?

Any recommendations on shops in the west or cbd that will quote seperately? Reson being that my company covers lens only so need seperate to claim.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2S using GAGT

Thats interesting. Most shops usually quote frame & lenses separately :s13:

mercenary_sg

Reaction score
Can shop owners here pm me your shop? Need to get a set of specs.
Looking for blue light filter, single vision, multicoat, transition for the lens. Frame wise, preferably branded.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My degrees about 600 for both sides. Got quoted $300+ for hoya 1.67. Is that normal or what?

I find it really ex.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
True to a certain extent!
Depending on the frame you choose and the size(length).
Full frames with thicker rims will hide the thickness of your frame unless you choose a metal ones(usually thin).
The bigger the frame, especially if you are myopic, the thicker the lens will be. Thus if possible choose a frame that is smaller and fit you of course.(if weight and thickness is the concern).

Not sure but ur lens will be damn thick and heavy

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there such a lens as a 1.74 photochromic lens aka transition type lens in Singapore? Interestingly, I did buy a pair of specs with such a lens about 3 years ago, online, but the online shop has since closed. I did not, I stress, I did not spend a fortune.

How much does it cost locally? Did anyone try also in JB? I am thinking of buying a new pair.

Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there such a lens as a 1.74 photochromic lens aka transition type lens in Singapore? Interestingly, I did buy a pair of specs with such a lens about 3 years ago, online, but the online shop has since closed. I did not, I stress, I did not spend a fortune.

How much does it cost locally? Did anyone try also in JB? I am thinking of buying a new pair.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm not sure how much you actually paid for the lenses but based of local brands that are usually requested, it cost from about 630-820 in general.
I'm not too sure about owndays,Zoff prices..

Hope this helps.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
For varilux maybe consider starting off with physio 3.0 or if you want a wider reading and better intermediate field area, go with the x-series lenses.
For zeiss, I would recommend starting off with their Asiana design/precision plus. Followed by their superb series or individual 2.

Hi. Any recommendations for progressive lens? Looking at Varilux or Zeiss.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.