(Official Tengah NOV 2018 BTO Thread) Consolidate all research here!

kingboonz

Reaction score
Having spent 100 over hours researching Tengah, I shall present my findings here and ask for opinions.

Information References:
HDB Tengah General info site: http://www20.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10349p.nsf/tengah/index.html
LTA Jurong Regional Line info site:
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/public-transport/projects/jurong-region-line.html
NOV 2018 Tengah Map:
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/doc/bto-nov-18-tengah-map
Tengah Masterplan: http://www20.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10349p.nsf/tengah/pdf/PEAK_IntroSection_C.pdf

Relevant Images and videos:
District Maps:
QINNBLh.jpg

Previously, the area was largely forest and scrubland and was mainly used as a military training ground. Though relatively undeveloped today, Forest Town Tengah has great potential and will offer fresh experiences for future residents
The town is surrounded by lush greenery and has five planned housing districts, each with a unique character;It has the first "car-free" town centre, providing a safe environment for walking and cycling;
Plantation District: the home of community farming, with a Community Farmway running through the precincts. There will be opportunities for facilities like organic markets and farm-to-table dining.
Garden District: framed by Tengah Pond and Central Park. This picturesque setting will be complemented by the garden-themed farmway where healthy and active living will be encouraged.
Park District: positioned as the hub and heart of the Forest Town. It includes the vibrant town centre which will be car-free. The district will be surrounded by lush landscape and the Forrest Corridor
Brickland District: the district will have unobstructed views towards the Forest Corridor, where urban living synergizes with nature
Forest Hill District: surrounded by the Forest Corridor and greenery and is stone's throw away from the Town Centre.
Future residents can look forward to convenient modes of transport within and outside the town. They will benefit from the future 24km Jurong Region Line in their commute. Mobility corridors will also be planned;
Located near the upcoming Jurong Innovation District
HDB Masterplan:
L4nVVPf.png

This is the first BTO launch in Tengah, Singapore's first new town in more than 20 years since Punggol. This BTO launch will offer 1,620 units of 2-Room Flexi, 3-Room, 4-Room, 5-Room and 3Gen flats. Bounded by the Kranji and Pan-Island Expressways, Bukit Batok Road and Brickland Road, Tengah is located between the existing towns of Jurong East, Choa Chu Kang and Bukit Batok. Tengah is expected to grow to about 700 ha, roughly the size of a Bishan town, and to be fully developed into a town with 42,000 new homes in two decades.
Another Map:
0xRGwYl.png

Prices will be projected to be around
HDB 3 Room: $170,000-$200,000
HDB 4 Room: $250,000-$320,000
HDB 5 Room: $320,000 - $390,000

MRT Jurong Regional Line Masterplan:
Aks3Nrk.png

The 24-kilometre long Jurong Region Line (JRL) will add 24 stations to the existing rail network, including three interchange stations at Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang and Jurong East MRT stations, which will link to the North-South Line and East-West Line.
The JRL will open in three stages starting 2026:

Phase 1 (2026): JRL (West) comprises 10 stations linking Choa Chu Kang to Boon Lay and Tawas;
Phase 2 (2027): JRL (East) comprises seven stations providing connection between Tengah and Pandan Reservoir; and
Phase 3 (2028): Extensions into NTU in the west and Jurong Pier in the south, completing the JRL (West) route.

Note that Tengah will be the central interchange for JRL (West) and JRL (East).
This line is confirmed to be above ground.

Tengah Transport system
SF86ufK.jpg

Blue represents JRL (MRT)
Red represent a dedicated bus road. Details unclear whether cars can be allowed on the same road.
Yellow will be a dedicated express road for PMDs.

There will be dedicated walking and cycling paths on both sides of the roads in Tengah.
Buses are planned to facilitate connections to amenities and to nearby MRT and workplaces.

I6bs9L2.jpg

Last edited:

kingboonz

Reaction score
Key Facts about Nov 2018 Tengah BTO

• The land has been cleared. HDB stated the NOV 2018 flats will be ready in 4-5 years.
  • It will be 100m to 460m away from the Tengah Plantation MRT.
  • It will be next to the Tengah Plantation Neighbourhood Center. (i.e) There will be a small shopping mall, Community Club, food center.
  • It is 270m - 600m away from a proposed childcare and school.
  • There will be a vertical strip of land for farming called the plantation farmway.
  • It is next to Bukit Batok road, a medium busy road.
  • HDB will sell 9 plots of residential areas in Plantation district in the next 2-4 years. (BTO/Private unknown)
  • The only significant primary school within 1 km radius is Princess Elizabeth Primary School (Ranked 45)
  • Schools nearby (Within 6 km radius) include:
    - Bukit Batok Secondary School
    - Milennia Institute
    - Jurongville Secondary School
    - Bukit View Secondary
    - Keming Primary (Rank 63)
    - Fuhua Secondary
    - Hong Kah Secondary
    - Hong Kah Primary (Merged)
    - Jurong Junior College
    - Lianhua Primary
    - Hillgrove Secondary
  • It is 500m away from Dulwich college, an international school catering kids from ages 2 - 17.
  • There is no sound of jets from Tengah Airbase as it is far away.
  • Less than 3 minutes drive to PIE, which leads to major destinations.
  • Far enough from PIE that there is no sound.
  • Nearby prexisting amenities include:
    (At least 20 mins walk, 30 mins bus ride)
    - West Mall
    - Yuhua Village Market
    - Bukit Batok Street 11 Food Centre

Last edited:

kingboonz

Reaction score
PROS and CONS

Transport Concerns
  • [PRO] Nov 2018 is directly next to Tengah Plantation MRT, which will link to Jurong East in 4 stops.
  • [CON] Tengah Plantation MRT is not an interchange for JRL. You need to transfer trains at Tengah MRT (1 stop away) to go to Boon Lay/Choa Chu Kang/NTU.
  • [PRO/CON] Nov 2018 is 300m away from the bus priority road, which I expect most major arterial buses should ply.
  • [CON] Tengah is blocked off from Jurong by major expressway PIE. Only Bukit Batok road currently serve as a direct route which is likely to be jammed once Tengah is in full swing. (but it is a very wide road)
  • [PRO] If you are able to cycle and if Tengah implements PMD/Bike sharing well, getting to major amenities like Town Center (Tengah MRT) will be around 3-5 mins.
  • [CON] Only 1 nearby petrol station (Shell). Those that are being planned are quite out of the way.
  • [PRO] 3-4 mins drive from PIE, which is a major plus.

Design Concept
  • [PRO] Nov 2018 will be next to the community center and farming plots, which include farmers markets and
  • [CON] Are Singaporeans civic-mindedness enough to be able to organise communal farming? Or will the farming plots be an ugly gated community?
  • [CON] No indication that roads will be underground for NOV 2018. Car-free vision is a myth.
  • [CON] 1280 units for the plot size indicates that the maximum height of the flat should be 10-20 storeys. Most people would prefer a higher rise living. (Either low-rise or there is plenty of living space in the design)
  • [PRO] The design concept of the childcare is attractive - A childcare with plenty of roaming spaces and a dedicated land instead of being cramped under HDB flats nowadays.
  • [PRO] Space space and more space + greenery is what Tengah offers.
  • [CON] There should be a major mall 500m away from NOV 2018.
  • [CON] Extremely long waiting time for amenities to be built. (2028 for JRL, WTF?)
  • [CON] MRT is aboveground and noise pollution/privacy will be a problem for some units.
  • [PRO] Tengah Airbase is nearby but NOV 2018 is unlikely to be affected by the sound as it is too far.
    Investment approach
  • [PRO] Can Jurong Innovation District be the One-north of the west?
  • [CON] People working in Jurong Innovation district will want to rent the homes nearer to JID.
  • [CON] All things being considered, Tengah MRT is the town center of Tengah, not Tengah Plantation MRT. 2 massive shopping malls will be planned near Tengah MRT, which is a major transport interchange. There are 5 plots of land near Tengah MRT that should be more attractive for buyers that are not in a hurry to get a flat/looking to buy a HDB to flip years later.
  • [PRO] You will be buying at the literal price floor for Tengah (As more amenities gets built, Tengah center will rise in value)
  • [CON] There are no top 20-30 primary/secondary/tertiary schools nearby within 2 km range. Bad for investment.
  • [PRO] Hospital planned 1.2km away
  • [CON] There is nothing attractive about plantation district that appeals to young people.
  • [CON] There is nothing major being planned for Tengah outside of JID - Don't expect any property effects spillover from Jurong Business District into Tengah - It is simply too far.

Last edited:

kingboonz

Reaction score
SUMMARY OF MY THOUGHTS

Tengah seems like a very liveable place if HDB executes their vision of a smart estate and a forest town properly.
However, the first few flats will be an absolute guinea pig for this experiment. It can go south too.

I believe there are better plots of land in Tengah that will be nearer to planned major amenities. (Near Tengah MRT).

If you can wait a few more years (5-10 years) before BTOing, then go for Tengah MRT plots.
If you can only wait for 1-2 more years, wait for a better plot in the Tengah plantation district. (I am eyeing the one opposite the current NOV 2018 plot, which should be in next year's exercise.
If you must apply for this current one, it isn't a bad choice too.

It is likely that there will be lesser and lesser BTO plots released in mature estates of the west in the future (i.e) Jurong, Clementi, Queenstown, Redhill, Bukit Timah.

I recall a saying that goes like this -

If you don't have good feelings about a property, you don't have to go for it. There will always be other opportunities.

Last edited:

saboking55

Reaction score
useful info bro. wondering why you feel the plot opp the nov 18 one is a better choice?

Milo Van

Reaction score
Good job there, thanks and appreciate your time in writing up these useful info.

Do you think for the next 2 years, all the BTO projects will only be for Plantation district? Or there will be release for Garden, Park, etc districts in between?

fotoudavid

Reaction score
All plans on future bto on Tengah, I think will depends on take up rates for the Nov bto. If cannot get satisfied application how to launch future bto?

So I strongly believe the Tengah bto will be cheap in pricing.

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks like mega project sio

those hdb within 1-2km gg sia

kingboonz

Reaction score
useful info bro. wondering why you feel the plot opp the nov 18 one is a better choice?

I feel that it is nearer to the town center (cyclable distance) and directly next to mrt. There will also be shop houses directly below so there will be more hustle and bustle.

kingboonz

Reaction score
All plans on future bto on Tengah, I think will depends on take up rates for the Nov bto. If cannot get satisfied application how to launch future bto?

So I strongly believe the Tengah bto will be cheap in pricing.

Cheap yes! But I feel that hdb will stick to their plans... Else this is going to go wrong

Were there any bto that was undersubscribed in recent years?

SuperZ

Reaction score
With the "Forest Town" theme, my major concern in this development is mosquitoes. If there will be many places with plants and trees, there will be some places where puddle of stagnant waters exist. This will be breeding ground for mosquitoes. Remember dengue fever in West Jurong.

fotoudavid

Reaction score
Cheap yes! But I feel that hdb will stick to their plans... Else this is going to go wrong

Were there any bto that was undersubscribed in recent years?

This is a new estate. I did spoke to some, even contractor... They kinda reluctant to shift to Tengah given the chance. They say so ulu and forest around many insects.

kingboonz

Reaction score
This is a new estate. I did spoke to some, even contractor... They kinda reluctant to shift to Tengah given the chance. They say so ulu and forest around many insects.

excellent insight. any move here must really be for the long term, a 20-30 year horizon to see tengah being developed.

kingboonz

Reaction score
Good job there, thanks and appreciate your time in writing up these useful info.

Do you think for the next 2 years, all the BTO projects will only be for Plantation district? Or there will be release for Garden, Park, etc districts in between?

Only for plantation for the next 2-3 years. Because they haven't cleared other plots of land.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing selflessly the huge amount of research you have put in. I am actually really relieved that you brought up some really good points about the plot that previously I was thinking whether I'm the only one who thinks that way.

Transport Concerns
[CON] Tengah Plantation MRT is not an interchange for JRL. You need to transfer trains at Tengah MRT (1 stop away) to go to Boon Lay/Choa Chu Kang/NTU.
*Peak hour crowd is going to suck, tbf its the same as everywhere else

[PRO/CON] Nov 2018 is 300m away from the bus priority road, which I expect most major arterial buses should ply.
[PRO] If you are able to cycle and if Tengah implements PMD/Bike sharing well, getting to major amenities like Town Center (Tengah MRT) will be around 3-5 mins.
*Elderly and mobility-impaired residents will be affected negatively due to Tengah being a car lite/free town instead.

[CON] Tengah is blocked off from Jurong by major expressway PIE. Only Bukit Batok road currently serve as a direct route which is likely to be jammed once Tengah is in full swing. (but it is a very wide road)
*The masterplan does show they will build 2 more entrances into the PIE from Tengah estate itself to alleviate anymore buildup traffic into Bukit Batok Rd.

[CON] Only 1 nearby petrol station (Shell). Those that are being planned are quite out of the way.
*Currently other nearby one is near BBDC, near Yuhua Village and near Parc Oasis. But for drivers really not that much of a con lah, they can just top up petrol at various places before going home.

Design Concept
[CON] Are Singaporeans civic-mindedness enough to be able to organise communal farming? Or will the farming plots be an ugly gated community?
*I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening any other way

[CON] No indication that roads will be underground for NOV 2018. Car-free vision is a myth.
*I really hope that its at least something like Punggol waterway, let cars have access to right underneath each block, thereby fulfiling car-free vision on the surface and letting car dependents not be impeded.

[CON] 1280 units for the plot size indicates that the maximum height of the flat should be 10-20 storeys. Most people would prefer a higher rise living. (Either low-rise or there is plenty of living space in the design)
*All the housing blocks I've seen in pictures and the various videos haven't been really tall, around 12-14 floors I think. Thought that was going to be the case liao

[PRO] Space space and more space + greenery is what Tengah offers.
*Can't agree more. If HDB don't offer tons of space (between blocks, don't expect they will offer larger flats), the main appeal totally gone liao.

[CON] There should be a major mall 500m away from NOV 2018.
*You're talking about Le Quest right? How is it a con here though? Unless you meant IT'S 500M AWAY? Walking there and back means a 1km journey and if it rains means honggan already.

[CON] Extremely long waiting time for amenities to be built. (2028 for JRL, WTF?)
*Yah WTF. But deep down we all know that they announce the line so early if not the reception for Tengah will be a whole lot more lukewarm

[CON] MRT is aboveground and noise pollution/privacy will be a problem for some units.
*This one if the homeowner chose a unit beside the line is his/her own choice liao.

[PRO] Tengah Airbase is nearby but NOV 2018 is unlikely to be affected by the sound as it is too far.
*I served at LCK camp previously so I do have some inkling of the situation. Even though Tengah estate share the same name as the airbase, the various projects are pretty far from the flight path of the runway. Even Forest Hill or Garden shouldn't really be affected by the sound at all.

Investment approach
[CON] People working in Jurong Innovation district will want to rent the homes nearer to JID.
*With the future rail network, they don't necessary want/need to rent near their workplace when the transport is "efficient/reliable"

[CON] All things being considered, Tengah MRT is the town center of Tengah, not Tengah Plantation MRT. 2 massive shopping malls will be planned near Tengah MRT, which is a major transport interchange. There are 5 plots of land near Tengah MRT that should be more attractive for buyers that are not in a hurry to get a flat/looking to buy a HDB to flip years later.
[PRO] You will be buying at the literal price floor for Tengah (As more amenities gets built, Tengah center will rise in value)
*Very true, pay lesser for a lousier location but get flat earlier or pay more for better location though only god knows when can get the flat though.

[CON] There are no top 20-30 primary/secondary/tertiary schools nearby within 2 km range. Bad for investment.
*Wouldn't btos near good schools normally be in matured estates already and hence command way higher prices?
Edited: The relatively new btos beside Jurong Point have River Valley and Rulang within 2km, but I feel that while its super convenient to stay there its hard to get a nice rest there being its such a busy area.

[PRO] Hospital planned 1.2km away
*Won't know exactly when it will be built, it could be after Tengah fully developed? NTF hospital quite near leh.

[CON] There is nothing attractive about plantation district that appeals to young people.
*The low prices and the high probability of being able to get a flat since going to have launches there for the next few years might sway some hearts.

[CON] There is nothing major being planned for Tengah outside of JID - Don't expect any property effects spillover from Jurong Business District into Tengah - It is simply too far.
*All the JBD/JLD hype is made by agents to sell props one lah. HDB prices in JE, TG, JW area all quite constant. Only the WC condos up price cos of the combined hype + the HSR then now delay liao no more hype anymore.

Last edited:

Fatpat

Reaction score
With the "Forest Town" theme, my major concern in this development is mosquitoes. If there will be many places with plants and trees, there will be some places where puddle of stagnant waters exist. This will be breeding ground for mosquitoes. Remember dengue fever in West Jurong.

Actually isn't the worst area in recent years located in Tampines? Wouldn't plants and trees mean the water gets absorbed into the soil and hence lesser stagnant water compared to water that gets trapped on concrete ground/ blocked drains?

Current NEA website have dengue clusters at even at concrete urban areas like East Coast and Serangoon, I think maybe your concern misplaced bah.

SuperZ

Reaction score
Current NEA website have dengue clusters at even at concrete urban areas like East Coast and Serangoon, I think maybe your concern misplaced bah.

I do not think my concern is misplaced. You are talking about concrete area. If you have been reservoir areas, you will find puddles especially after rains. I don't think HDB will "landscape" the entire Tengah area to ensure no stagnant pools of water.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.