[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Synology newbee question...

Trying to move data from my old WD MyCloud NAS (6TB and 8TB) to Synology DS918+, can I just take the WD red drive out of case and plug them into Synology's drive bay? Will Synology recognize WD's file system and data?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Nope.
Only Syno to Syno OK.

Trying to move data from my old WD MyCloud NAS (6TB and 8TB) to Synology DS918+, can I just take the WD red drive out of case and plug them into Synology's drive bay? Will Synology recognize WD's file system and data?

i-Movies

Reaction score
Nope.
Only Syno to Syno OK.

OK. What if I connect WD's hard disk to Synology's USB port via SATA-to-USB adapter? Will I be able to browse WD disk and copy data to Synology's disk?

My 2 WD NAS are dead, I am trying to find a way to save the data to a new NAS...

yamashita

Reaction score
OK. What if I connect WD's hard disk to Synology's USB port via SATA-to-USB adapter? Will I be able to browse WD disk and copy data to Synology's disk?

My 2 WD NAS are dead, I am trying to find a way to save the data to a new NAS...

Not clear on your problem.

"Your 2 WD NAS are dead" - You are referring to the NAS enclosure or the 2 WD red hard disks from WD NAS?

I assume your WD NAS enclosure has more than 1 hard disk and you are on RAID. If it is not RAID 1 mirroring, how do you intend to connect all hard disks from the RAID setup to your Synology? Another RAID enclosure?

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

From what I checked, WD mycloud is using ext4 so MIGHT be compatible. If you can sacrifice one for testing, just slot it into the DS and see whether it can detect. :p

i-Movies

Reaction score
Not clear on your problem.

"Your 2 WD NAS are dead" - You are referring to the NAS enclosure or the 2 WD red hard disks from WD NAS?

I assume your WD NAS enclosure has more than 1 hard disk and you are on RAID. If it is not RAID 1 mirroring, how do you intend to connect all hard disks from the RAID setup to your Synology? Another RAID enclosure?

I have 2 WD MyCloud, one 6TB and one 8TB, both are single bay NAS, both are Red drive. Hard disks are fine but NAS failed to boot, guess motherboard issue. I am getting a new NAS and trying to directly access or copy data from these 2 Red drive. so I have few methods:

1. simply plug Red to Synology,
2. use SATA-to-USB to connect Red to Synology's USB port

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If it is unable to read WD Red, will it auto-reformat it?

Most likely it will prompt and warn you first. Assuming you had WD my cloud with raid 1, both drives would have mirrored contents so I'd sacrifice one of them. But to be safe, I'd copy everything using a PC first.

If reckless and like to take risks, just ram both drives into synology ds and fingers crossed. :D

i-Movies

Reaction score
Most likely it will prompt and warn you first. Assuming you had WD my cloud with raid 1, both drives would have mirrored contents so I'd sacrifice one of them. But to be safe, I'd copy everything using a PC first.

If reckless and like to take risks, just ram both drives into synology ds and fingers crossed. :D

Single bay NAS, not raid, no mirror...

yamashita

Reaction score
I have 2 WD MyCloud, one 6TB and one 8TB, both are single bay NAS, both are Red drive. Hard disks are fine but NAS failed to boot, guess motherboard issue. I am getting a new NAS and trying to directly access or copy data from these 2 Red drive. so I have few methods:

1. simply plug Red to Synology,
2. use SATA-to-USB to connect Red to Synology's USB port

For (1), Synology will need to download DiskStation Manager (NAS OS) first. I suspect your data will be formatted to facilitate the OS installation.

For (2), might be a better option but you will need to acquire new hard disk for the NAS to install DiskStation Manager first.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks! Is it good for streaming video outside of my home network?

All Nas should allow you to stream videos outside your network regardless if it's a Synology Nas, freenas machine or even a usb disk attach to a raspberry pi.

You could use either Plex or remote into your home network via vpn to stream the videos

midlusionz

Reaction score
All Nas should allow you to stream videos outside your network regardless if it's a Synology Nas, freenas machine or even a usb disk attach to a raspberry pi.

You could use either Plex or remote into your home network via vpn to stream the videos

Thanks, basically I want to use the nas for data backup primarily and also to streams shows on TV and outside of the network. Would also like to try hosting a simple VM on it .. Nv own a nas before thou.. :s13:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks, basically I want to use the nas for data backup primarily and also to streams shows on TV and outside of the network. Would also like to try hosting a simple VM on it .. Nv own a nas before thou.. :s13:

I don't own that Nas but I am quite sure you won't be able to run a VM on a system that has only 512 MB or ram and a low powered arm CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.