iPhone Xs Max as iPad Mini replacement? 2in1 solution - anyone tried?

rvyne7

Reaction score
I would just like to ask if anyone actually bought a iPhone Xs Max as iPad mini replacement at the same time?

I'm quite not sure if this is actually fix my issue with not having iPad and need a manga reader but not sure if Apple even launching new iPad mini in near future.

Currently own iPhone x right now using it as streamer + manga reader although streaming movies + reading text from browser like forums seems okay but feel short as manga viewer.

I wanted to try out iphone 6.5" solution compare to 7.9" of iPad mini but not sure if the comparison is too big difference.

And anyways if i push for this oversize phone quite not sure if 64gb is enough lol

qyc_91

Reaction score
I would just like to ask if anyone actually bought a iPhone Xs Max as iPad mini replacement at the same time?

I'm quite not sure if this is actually fix my issue with not having iPad and need a manga reader but not sure if Apple even launching new iPad mini in near future.

Currently own iPhone x right now using it as streamer + manga reader although streaming movies + reading text from browser like forums seems okay but feel short as manga viewer.

I wanted to try out iphone 6.5" solution compare to 7.9" of iPad mini but not sure if the comparison is too big difference.

And anyways if i push for this oversize phone quite not sure if 64gb is enough lol

How rich are you

rvyne7

Reaction score
How rich are you

:p so anyone can afford iPhone already considered rich? planning to buy new and resell current phone la..since also need iPad (old my iPad pro few months ago so got some extra to buy for iPad)

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iPad mini is very outdated.
It has iPhone 6 chip so playing games will lag

My mini 4’s sitting on my table for a long time and has not been used ever since I got my 10.5” Pro in May.

rvyne7

Reaction score
My mini 4’s sitting on my table for a long time and has not been used ever since I got my 10.5” Pro in May.

I'm still hoping for miracle actually if any this month.. but already looking for alternative like iphone xs max haha... I feel the iPad mini size is perfect if only if they can release 9" screen with a body of current iPad mini lol

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for miracle actually if any this month.. but already looking for alternative like iphone xs max haha... I feel the iPad mini size is perfect if only if they can release 9" screen with a body of current iPad mini lol

I strongly doubt the mini will be refreshed, more like discontinuing. But the Xs Max is a lot more expensive and screen still 1.4" smaller than the mini.

rvyne7

Reaction score
I strongly doubt the mini will be refreshed, more like discontinuing. But the Xs Max is a lot more expensive and screen still 1.4" smaller than the mini.

ya this is actually more like :p is it an option? haha buying wise I'm still gonna wait if any apple event soon.. if they bring same X's feature on ipad for sure it will either screen get bigger or the size getting smaller

chinnian

Reaction score
I own the iPhone 7 and iPad mini 4.
Thought about the idea of replacing iPhone 7 with Max, also use it as a iPad mini 4 replacement.

But after trying the Max out, nope. The Max is too heavy and huge for me.
As a phone, the largest form factor I'd go with is the X/XS.

The Max screen size is also too small for me to read papers on, While the iPad Pros are not handy enough for me to read.

So I'd go for the iPhone XS for phone replacement, and keep the mini.

And yes, I think it'd be perfect if Apple updates the mini with a bezeless one. Having the same size, but bigger screen would be perfect.

I know there are iPhone Max/iPad Pro users here, but that's not ideal for my case use and preference.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apple will not be releasing any new iPad Mini in the near future.

Moving ahead, only new iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" will be released and low cost iPad 9.7" will be continued.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya this is actually more like :p is it an option? haha buying wise I'm still gonna wait if any apple event soon.. if they bring same X's feature on ipad for sure it will either screen get bigger or the size getting smaller

I own the iPhone 7 and iPad mini 4.
Thought about the idea of replacing iPhone 7 with Max, also use it as a iPad mini 4 replacement.

But after trying the Max out, nope. The Max is too heavy and huge for me.
As a phone, the largest form factor I'd go with is the X/XS.

The Max screen size is also too small for me to read papers on, While the iPad Pros are not handy enough for me to read.

So I'd go for the iPhone XS for phone replacement, and keep the mini.

And yes, I think it'd be perfect if Apple updates the mini with a bezeless one. Having the same size, but bigger screen would be perfect.

I know there are iPhone Max/iPad Pro users here, but that's not ideal for my case use and preference.

I don't think the Xs Max will make a good replacement for the mini 4. An iPad and iPhone are different altogether and reading news wise, usually I'll use my iPad Pro 10.5. Even on my X it's also quite comfortable enough for reading news.

Though the mini 4's not very suitable for gaming now, but news reading is still fine.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree that it is not a good replacement for the iPad Mini. Hardware wise, the XS Max is clearly a few notches above the dated iPad Mini 4. However, the screen size of the iPhone is nowhere near the 8 inch on the iPad Mini. And because of the massive notch aka Cyclops eye, the actual usable screen estate is smaller than 6 inch if I am not mistaken.

rvyne7

Reaction score
I've dropby at Orchard yesterday just to check the size and I feel not comfortable holding that as massive cant easily use 1 hand.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i thought XS is same size as iPhone 8plus? So difficult to carry?

Xs Max same size as 7/8 Plus, just that the screen is stretched edge-to-edge. My colleague has one and I fins no diff to carry from my 7 Plus.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've dropby at Orchard yesterday just to check the size and I feel not comfortable holding that as massive cant easily use 1 hand.

Oh. Reason I feel strange is because ppl keep talking about the big size. Didn’t try mi max 2 before? Haha

rvyne7

Reaction score
Oh. Reason I feel strange is because ppl keep talking about the big size. Didn’t try mi max 2 before? Haha

last oversize phone I own was Note 2 lol.. until now I never had any use of that extra size... but since I dun have mini just thinking if this type of solution can be 2n1 solution lol

The Xs Max?

Yes... too big for a phone.. since X series corner to corner is actually gesture this is not convenient for oversize phone like Xs Max.. Unless you have massive hand or habit of using 2 hand when typing or using phone

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I feel best is to use iPhone XS + iPad Pro 10.5. U have the best of mobility and big screen. (2 devices)

xS max is a compromise if you can only carry 1 device out for convenience

chinnian

Reaction score
Different people have difference preferences. Those who find the Max huge are mostly those who never went for Plus size phones in the first place. I'm one of them.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes... too big for a phone.. since X series corner to corner is actually gesture this is not convenient for oversize phone like Xs Max.. Unless you have massive hand or habit of using 2 hand when typing or using phone

I've the 7 Plus and it's the same size of holding the Xs Max, just that screen size is 1" smaller. To me, I've no issues with the Xs Max's size or 6.5" screen size as I've also the Note 9 at 6.4" so it's almost the same.

I'm not buying either the Xs or Xs Max as only last year I've re-contracted for the X on Singtel's launch event. The X/Xs screen size and physical size is very comfortable for a mobile phone and one-handed use is also easy. Using my Note 9 is quite similar to a phablet, as the Xs Max would also but still manageable. But one-handed use is not possible.

If I've a choice, I'd go with Xs Max as I already have the X and the Xs is just innards improvement within the same size. So it really boils down to personal preference.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.