Help! Black screen but still have backlight

ItsLame

Reaction score
Hi, so my Asus g550jk laptop seems to have a problem.

In the midst of typing something, or playing games, or watching videos my screen will just suddenly turn black even though the backlight’s still on.

To turn it back on I would have to press Fn+F7 to disable the screen, wobble the monitor, then press Fn+F7 again to enable the screen, this brings back the display back to normal, however few seconds/minutes later it will randomly turn black again and I had to do the Fn+F7 again.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And how it can be fixed?

If you guys are wondering, this is what the F7 key functions as:
kj2lz0b26qq11.jpg

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, so my Asus g550jk laptop seems to have a problem.

In the midst of typing something, or playing games, or watching videos my screen will just suddenly turn black even though the backlight’s still on.

To turn it back on I would have to press Fn+F7 to disable the screen, wobble the monitor, then press Fn+F7 again to enable the screen, this brings back the display back to normal, however few seconds/minutes later it will randomly turn black again and I had to do the Fn+F7 again.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And how it can be fixed?

If you guys are wondering, this is what the F7 key functions as:
https://i.redd.it/kj2lz0b26qq11.jpg

Most likely the screen is not working and may need to be replaced.

Try to connect via HDMI port to external monitor to see if the screen display is still working or not.

ItsLame

Reaction score
Most likely the screen is not working and may need to be replaced.

Try to connect via HDMI port to external monitor to see if the screen display is still working or not.

Plugging in it to an external display works fine.

I suspect it's a problem on either the ribbon/connector/cable, because when the display works, there isn't any dead pixels nor discoloration. I'm not really sure about this however since I'm not really an expert in these stuffs.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I suspect it's a problem on either the ribbon/connector/cable, because when the display works, there isn't any dead pixels nor discoloration. I'm not really sure about this however since I'm not really an expert in these stuffs.

In my case the screen seem to be moving horizontally with some flickering.

Hence i did the replacement of the laptop screen cost $145 for 13.3" screen of Toshiba laptop.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hardware issue with the display, possibly the flex , inverter portion. Head to Asus to get them to check it out.

Location as follows:
No.8 Burn Road, #11-16 TRIVEX Singapore 369977 (Supports: Carry-in only)

Last edited:

jerrygoh91

Reaction score
If you type things and you still hear sound, most likely will be the LED issue on the screen.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.