SINGTEL broadband ONR - cannot use my ASUS router

keentrader

Reaction score
Just got my new Singtel fibre optics installation today.

Could not get my ASUS router to work as per before.

After checking online, realised that Singtel gives ONR, which also act as wireless router. Hence conflicts with my ASUS.

I really need to continue to use some of my existing ASUS' advanced features.

Will appreciate any advice:

Is it possible to change ONR to ONT or use my old Huawei modem?

If cannot change the hardware, can ONR be configured/downgrade to work like a modem?

Thanks.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

After checking online, realised that Singtel gives ONR, which also act as wireless router. Hence conflicts with my ASUS.

If cannot change the hardware, can ONR be configured/downgrade to work like a modem?

Thanks.

ONR is a router, without the wireless feature. you can still use back your asus as an AP, but not as a router.

if you die die want to use it as a router, then you have to set up a bridge mode.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
ONR is a router, without the wireless feature. you can still use back your asus as an AP, but not as a router.

if you die die want to use it as a router, then you have to set up a bridge mode.
The ONR now supports bridge mode?

keentrader

Reaction score

Ya, I die die want to use my Asus router, do you have advice on how to set up a bridge mode?

Thanks

squarepipe

Reaction score

Eh I tot cannot use as bridge mode? Now can? Singtel turn over a new leaf ar?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s a complicated process and it comes with other implications as well. Do a search on how to configure it like disabling dhcp on onr, putting your Asus in dmz etc.

My advice is not to go to that extreme and use Asus as an ap and leave the routing functions to onr.

What is so compelling on Asus that you die die must use? :D

Ya, I die die want to use my Asus router, do you have advice on how to set up a bridge mode?

Thanks

ykeen

Reaction score

Thanks

Call up Singtel or use their online webchat with CSO to say u die die require ONR in bridge mode.

Give examples such as requiring bridge mode to establish VPN back to your office using your own dedicated hardware device. The ONR in NAT mode is interfering with your enterprise VPN and applications.

Good luck, it may drag 1 or 2 weeks as they ding dong here and there to different departments..

dryteletubby

Reaction score
It’s a complicated process and it comes with other implications as well. Do a search on how to configure it like disabling dhcp on onr, putting your Asus in dmz etc.

My advice is not to go to that extreme and use Asus as an ap and leave the routing functions to onr.

Eh that's not birdge mode. You will still have double NAT with the Asus in DMZ which won't happen if the ONR actually supports birdge mode.

TS may still use the NAS and VPN function on the Asus if it is set up to compensate for the double NAT. As for DDNS or the firewall functions,TS is out of luck.

uncle_josh

Reaction score

Thanks.

That's the price to pay for blindly subscribing to any ISP w/o doing your home work.

So far the only ISP that allow ONR to be configured to bridge or work like a modem is Whizcomms.

You are most likely ran out of luck.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If onr is indeed in bridge as per exact definition, it’s exactly an ont.

I’m saying that’s the next best one can do.

Eh that's not birdge mode. You will still have double NAT with the Asus in DMZ which won't happen if the ONR actually supports birdge mode.

TS may still use the NAS and VPN function on the Asus if it is set up to compensate for the double NAT. As for DDNS or the firewall functions,TS is out of luck.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
If onr is indeed in bridge as per exact definition, it’s exactly an ont.

I’m saying that’s the next best one can do.

No. Bridge mode is where the ONR has no routing functions(no NAT and DHCP) and strictly pass all traffic to the asus router without assigning a internal IP for each connected device.

Having the ONR pass through traffic to the Asus via DMZ means the ONR has to be in router mode to assign a IP address for the Asus and allow the Asus free access on that IP. This however causes what is know as a double NAT as the Asus wan IP is not the public facing IP but one assigned by the ONR.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don’t think so. Onr is still being deployed for the plan, so you can’t have another router for it too.

in hindsight, the only other way to ensure your ASUS can get an individual externally assigned IP is if you go for the Singtel 2GB (1 + 1) plan - then your ONR and ASUS can have seperately assigned IPs by singtel.

Upgrade i think don't need to pay any termination charges. Only downgrade need.

Open to correction by @SingTel

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I don’t think so. Onr is still being deployed for the plan, so you can’t have another router for it too.

Singtel use the ONR term too loosely

This is how they describe their 1+1Gb plan in another post

Our 1+1Gbps dual network comes with 2 x 1Gbps connection on our GPON Optical Network Router (ONR), where a 1Gbps bandwidth is dedicated for your gaming needs and another 1Gbps bandwidth can be shared among the rest of the family for daily Internet usage.

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. You’ll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

You can then set-up a third-party router (e.g. Razer Sila gaming router) for Port 4 via a wired connection. For WiFi connections, you are able to select between two WiFi Network SSIDs.

Seems port 4 straight pass our a wan IP address for your own router.

Strangely they don't have a 10G port for 2Gbps max on one line unlike other ISP. Maybe that's their way of preventing power users form choosing their plan.

squarepipe

Reaction score
Singtel use the ONR term too loosely

This is how they describe their 1+1Gb plan in another post

Our 1+1Gbps dual network comes with 2 x 1Gbps connection on our GPON Optical Network Router (ONR), where a 1Gbps bandwidth is dedicated for your gaming needs and another 1Gbps bandwidth can be shared among the rest of the family for daily Internet usage.

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. You’ll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

You can then set-up a third-party router (e.g. Razer Sila gaming router) for Port 4 via a wired connection. For WiFi connections, you are able to select between two WiFi Network SSIDs.

Seems port 4 straight pass our a wan IP address for your own router.

Strangely they don't have a 10G port for 2Gbps max on one line unlike other ISP. Maybe that's their way of preventing power users form choosing their plan.
Only in Singapore got first world problem of "gamer" internet. Probably broadband price drop a lot from several years ago and now ISP need recoup their profits.

P.s if you want better gaming internet, spend your $$ on Ethernet trunking don't fall for gaming router, broadband plan scam.

isadavmat

Reaction score
I use whizcomms(which uses singtel) ONR with my ASUS router with no problems at all. Only thing I changed was the LAN IP for the router.

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Do you know bridge mode you don't need the Asus router to DMZ , double NAT will happen.

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use whizcomms(which uses singtel) ONR with my ASUS router with no problems at all. Only thing I changed was the LAN IP for the router.

That's because Whizcomm provisoned their ONR in "bridge mode" while SingTel configure theirs in "router mode"

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.