Connecting Google Wifi to existing router

kimura

Reaction score
Hi,

I've gotten 2 Google Wifi sets and connected one of them as Primary Wifi. I also connected the existing old Linksys router to Primary Google Wifi to use the router as a switch.

After doing so, it seems that there is intermittent disconnection. The wifi point is detected at times but also not found once I moved myself to another room.

Could it be the router causing the intermittent disconnection? Do I need to change any configuration for the router or just simply connect the router to the Google Wifi?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
It is more advisable that you use a switch than a router.
Just go lazada , search for gigabit switch. Cost only $29 - $33

If you still want to use a router to double up as switch,
1. make sure you disable all the dhcp on the router.
2. connect the to the lan port of the router
3. disable all wifi radio on the router.

kimura

Reaction score
Thanks! What about the port forwarding rules and the mac addresses set up in router? Do I keep this in router or configure them in google wifi?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! What about the port forwarding rules and the mac addresses set up in router? Do I keep this in router or configure them in google wifi?

Since the Google Wifi is the primary router then all routing features & functions may have to set accordingly, if any.
> Google Wifi help do explain everything as like manual.

Using addition router as AP & switch would not have any routing features &or functions.

Might as well use a (dummy) switch to have more lan ports for more wired connections.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Google wifi is a new generation router. You can configure port forwarding just like your router . Just follow their guide here :
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6274503?hl=en-SG

Sorry do not understand what you want with regards to the mac addresses.

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you keep the router as the one connected to the ont/modem, then keep the settings. Connect the Google Wi-Fi to the router, and use it to expand your Wi-Fi coverage.

If the setup is Google Wi-Fi #1 to router (switch), then all the settings need to remove from router and replicated in Google Wi-Fi.

kimura

Reaction score
If I use router as the primary device, and then connect google wifi to the router, does that mean the 2nd google wifi mesh will not work?

kimura

Reaction score
I have tried disabling the dchp and ssid broadcast in the router as the switch. The wired connection works but for a while. The error says it can’t find a valid ip.

What else did I not do in the router? I can’t edit any settings in google Wifi except to enable the ipv6

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tried disabling the dchp and ssid broadcast in the router as the switch. The wired connection works but for a while. The error says it can’t find a valid ip.

What else did I not do in the router? I can’t edit any settings in google Wifi except to enable the ipv6

Router as primary device/router do required DHCP (and IPv6) but not for other router/mesh on AP.

That's the primary router has to do the routing even if it act as switch.

Whereas SSID is optional if not needed.

kimura

Reaction score
I think u misunderstood. I’m trying to make the router as AP by disabling the dhcp and WiFi. So that google Wifi can be the primary router connected to another router as AP.

But the wired connection does not work. What did I do wrong?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
When you use Google Wifi, you are using its mesh system to your advantage.
It is not advisable to introduce an AP into the environment.
Like I said in post #2, get a switch.

If you die die still want to use a router with it, then put the Linksys router as primary, then Google Wifi as secondary router. Some ppl tried and the double NAT doesn't seems to have a great impact.

kimura

Reaction score
If I put google wifi as secondary, does that mean i cannot introduce a 2nd mesh into the network?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think u misunderstood. I’m trying to make the router as AP by disabling the dhcp and WiFi. So that google Wifi can be the primary router connected to another router as AP.

But the wired connection does not work. What did I do wrong?

Most of the solutions are available in the Google Wifi help website.

You may have to set up the 2nd Google Wifi next to 1st Google Wifi prior moving to final location.

Example;
> ONT -> Router |-> Google Wifi -> Google Wifi (2)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I still got 2 units of this with the plastic wrapping intact.

Not sure on how I want to integrate them into my existing network.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en-SG

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you are happy with your current network setup, sell it off lor. :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en-SG

Am I able to use the 2 Google WiFi as AP only by setting them to bridge mode and connect one of them to my existing router by cable?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am I able to use the 2 Google WiFi as AP only by setting them to bridge mode and connect one of them to my existing router by cable?

When using mesh either in AP or Router ( double nat ) node, 1 of the nodes always has to be connected to the existing router by cable.

Router -cable- Node #1 - wireless - Node #2 - wireless - Node #3
ONT -cable- Node #1 - wireless - Node #2 - wireless - Node #3

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
When using mesh either in AP or Router ( double nat ) node, 1 of the nodes always has to be connected to the existing router by cable.

Router -cable- Node #1 - wireless - Node #2 - wireless - Node #3
ONT -cable- Node #1 - wireless - Node #2 - wireless - Node #3

Yes the first scenario is what I want.

I will probably disable the wireless on the router, and just use the Google Wifi for the wireless network.

lot286

Reaction score
can i know if it works?
i am considering buying a mesh (TP LINK) but i have no idea how to integrate into my current network. i am on starhub fiber-> Modem -> Linksys Router

if i buy the Tplink m5, and if i want to keep the router (which is pretty new), do i place the M5 before the Linksys Router and then make the Linksys Router mode AP (Access point), and switch off all its WIFI radios? I have several Cat cables running from the Router to my rooms in which i will then hook up the rest of the m5s for Ethernet backhauls

need some expert advise on this

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.