New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Lawlen

Reaction score
You have to do 3 things:

1. disable the router function of the second wireless router by not connecting to the WAN port, ie. connect to LAN port.

2. turn off DHCP in the 2nd router.

3. Set up ip address for 2nd router. The address should be in the same subnet, but outside the dhcp range of the first router.

Wah,

Hi Gregory

I get what you mean but all said is too cheem.

I think you know what I want

Something basic, to just have 2 AP points in my house

a) 1 from the Riser Box or Living room

b) 1 from the Master Bedroom

Ideally, as I play games, other than a wireless AP in MBR, the router shd also allow me to connect via Wired connection to my Desktop (Ideal but optional, i am ok with just wireless)

In view of the above, can you advise me what is the best Cost effective way for me to do it?

RIght now I am on VQ plan and only have a pure VQ modem and a Netgear AC1200 router with 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports (This wouter has a on / off button for wireless connectivity)

ALternatively, if u stay near Sembawang, can I get you to assist me to connect the stuff after advising me what to buy and I pay you abit for your services / time?

Please advise

giraffey

Reaction score
Hmmmm...

1) My VQ Modem is a pure modem and I have a seperate Router with a WAN Port and 4 Lan port

1a) If I stick to my plan and accept not optimal wireless in living room area as wifi router is in enclosed Riser Box, then above is true right? Leave Wireless function on for lower wireless connectivity

I say the above becos at this moment I only intend to buy 1 more Wifi Router due to budget contraints.

Or

1b) Am i better off now with the most basic stuff, which is:

TP > ONT > D1 port in Riser Box > D1 port in Living Room > Existing Wifi ROuter and let whole house wireless connection be from there

When when I have more budget, buy 2 more routhers, switch off wireless functions in the router in Riser box and connect 2x new routers (1 in living room) and 1 in Master room)

2) So from the Data point in Master room, I connect to 1 of the 4 LAN ports in router? not wo WAN port? I ask becos I intend to have BOTH wireless in Master room for phone and wife laptop, in addition, my desktop I want to use wired connection.

SO

2a) Connect MBR wall data point to WAN port in router for wireless and connect my Desktop to Lan port in router for wired?

Or it is wrong? and I should

2b) Connect MBR wall data point to 1 of the 4 LAN port in router for wireless connectivity and for my desktop wired connection, connect it to a second LAN port in MBR router?

Please advise

Thank You

If the device is set as the router, it will be connected to the WAN port. Meaning, the other end of the WAN port is the ONT.

If the device is set as an access point, it is connected to the LAN port.

--

On whether you need 1 or 2 wireless APs/Routers, it depends on house layout. you have to trial and error as well. If possible, put the wireless router/ap in the middle of the house. Perhaps, you can see if you can put the wireless AP outside the cabinet first.

Lawlen

Reaction score
If the device is set as the router, it will be connected to the WAN port. Meaning, the other end of the WAN port is the ONT.

If the device is set as an access point, it is connected to the LAN port.

--

On whether you need 1 or 2 wireless APs/Routers, it depends on house layout. you have to trial and error as well. If possible, put the wireless router/ap in the middle of the house. Perhaps, you can see if you can put the wireless AP outside the cabinet first.

Hi Giraffey

So based on what you say, I have 3 options:

Option 1:

Use the most basic way, with only my existing equipment with no additional purchase

TP > ONT > D1 in Riser Box > D1 in Living Room > Wireless Router in Living Room

(From Living Room D1 Wallpoint, connect to WAN or LAN port in Wireless Router?)

This option means the most traditional way whereby everyone in the house get Wireless connection from that 1 Router in Living room

Option 2:

Buy an addition 1 Wireless Router

TP > ONT > LAN port in 1st Wireless Router in Riser Box to serve as 1st AP (wireless function switched on) and connect 3 other LAN ports to Data points in Riser box to enable connectivity in 3 rooms

Use the other newly bought Wireless Router in MBR, connect it to wall datapoint using its LAN port for MBR wireless coverage.

This option will see both Routers in Riser Box and MBR acting as Wireless APs (both wireless function switched on) although the wireless connectivity from the router in the enclosed riser box may not be good

Option 3:

Buy 2 more additional wireless routers

TP in riser Box > ONT > riser box's Router's WAN PORT (with wireless function switched off)

Then connect the 4 LAN ports in this Router with wireless function switched off to the 4 Lan ports in the "Build-in" Data points in riser box so that all 4 rooms' Data points have internet capability

Place 1 of the 2 newly bought Router in living room, connect it from the wall Data point to 1 LAN port to act as AP in Living room

Repeat the same for MBR in the other end of the house for AP number2

Above correct?

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Giraffey

Option 1:

Use the most basic way, with only my existing equipment with no additional purchase

This option means the most traditional way whereby everyone in the house get Wireless connection from that 1 Router in Living room

Option 2:

TP > ONT > LAN port in 1st Wireless Router in Riser Box to serve as 1st AP (wireless function switched on) and connect 3 other LAN ports to Data points in Riser box to enable connectivity in 3 rooms

Use the other newly bought Wireless Router in MBR, connect it to wall datapoint using its LAN port for MBR wireless coverage.

This option will see both Routers in Riser Box and MBR acting as Wireless APs (both wireless function switched on) although the wireless connectivity from the router in the enclosed riser box may not be good

Option 3:

TP in riser Box > ONT > riser box's Router's WAN PORT (with wireless function switched off)

Then connect the 4 LAN ports in this Router with wireless function switched off to the 4 Lan ports in the "Build-in" Data points in riser box so that all 4 rooms' Data points have internet capability

Place 1 of the 2 newly bought Router in living room, connect it from the wall Data point to 1 LAN port to act as AP in Living room

Above correct?

all 3 correct, except that for 2 & 3, you have to log in to the router to do what I mentioned in my earlier post.

It is not difficult to configure router.

for option 2&3, you will have 3 spare lan ports per router for you to connect to computers.

Lawlen

Reaction score
all 3 correct, except that for 2 & 3, you have to log in to the router to do what I mentioned in my earlier post.

It is not difficult to configure router.

for option 2&3, you will have 3 spare lan ports per router for you to connect to computers.

Option 3 is straight forward, my current router has a physical on/off wireless function button that I can switch off as the router in my riser box. Therefore, no need to log in anythign online right?

As for option 2, both Router (1 in riser box and 1 in MBR will both act as active AP with wireless function switched on) and therefore, no need to login online / website to do anything right?

And for most basic option 1, though i will know by trial on that day, from Wall's Datapoint, connect to Router's WAN ot LAN port?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Option 3 is straight forward, my current router has a physical on/off wireless function button that I can switch off as the router in my riser box. Therefore, no need to log in anythign online right?

As for option 2, both Router (1 in riser box and 1 in MBR will both act as active AP with wireless function switched on) and therefore, no need to login online / website to do anything right?

And for most basic option 1, though i will know by trial on that day, from Wall's Datapoint, connect to Router's WAN ot LAN port?

you need to log in to the 2nd and 3rd router to do some simple configuration.

if you want it to be easier,buy wireless ap and install it at the mbr. Most likely you don't have to do configuration.

giraffey

Reaction score
Hi Giraffey

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Above correct?

yes, correct. =)

Lawlen

Reaction score
yes, correct. =)

So Giraffey

For option 1, the most basic option, from D1 in Living Room > Wireless Router in Living Room

From Living room's Wall Data port, Should i plug in the router's WAN or LAN port?

Last edited:

giraffey

Reaction score
So Giraffey

For option 1, the most basic option, from D1 in Living Room > Wireless Router in Living Room

From Living room's Wall Data port, Should i plug in the router's WAN or LAN port?

WAN, since it is acting as a router.

bovi77

Reaction score
In the same scenario as Lawlen (4rm bto same layout) just that my network box has to be converted. I believe it has 1 original data point to TV console. Would appreciate help understanding the various connections including PoE if I use unifi AP (use PoE to minimise need for wall power)

I wish for ethernet datapoints in all 4 rooms to be "live" (aka connected to internet) and have a Unifi AP placed somewhere in the living area or tv console. Digital voice line. I think there are 5 possible data points, 5th being in the bomb shelter.

In my current understanding for this setup,

(Riser Box) TP, ONT & Router

Router > 4 patch cables out into the 4 converted Data points in Riser. tv, mbr, bed2, bed3

(tv area)
would I need a router or switch at this location if I have 2 devices requiring ethernet?
1 *ethernet for tv etc
1 *ethernet for Wireless AP (where does the PoE injector connect to?)

(bed 3)
need ethernet for 1* desktop PC,
just straight connect PC with 1 lan cable to the wall data point?
if adding a 2nd desktop PC wanting internet via ethernet I would require a switch?

thanks!

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
In the same scenario as Lawlen (4rm bto same layout) just that my network box has to be converted. I believe it has 1 original data point to TV console. Would appreciate help understanding the various connections including PoE if I use unifi AP (use PoE to minimise need for wall power)

I wish for ethernet datapoints in all 4 rooms to be "live" (aka connected to internet) and have a Unifi AP placed somewhere in the living area or tv console. Digital voice line. I think there are 5 possible data points, 5th being in the bomb shelter.

Router > 4 patch cables out into the 4 converted Data points in Riser. tv, mbr, bed2, bed3

(tv area)
would I need a router or switch at this location if I have 2 devices requiring ethernet?
1 *ethernet for tv etc

(bed 3)
if adding a 2nd desktop PC wanting internet via ethernet I would require a switch?

thanks!

PoE is a method to supply the access point with power over the ethernet cable instead of a seperate AC adapter. The unifi access points can only be powered by PoE so you will have 2 options,1st is a PoE injector which takes the unpowered ethernet cable form your router/switch and powers it via an injector connected to your wall electrical socket

Outdoor_WiFi_Antenna_AP_1661.jpg

2nd is a PoE switch that supplies power for your access point via the switch port.

PoE-Switch.png

If possible do have more then 1 ethernet cable to each room. This provides redundancy and you won't need a switch in a room.

giraffey

Reaction score

(tv area)
1 *ethernet for tv etc

(bed 3)

thanks!

If your TV area and each of the rooms require more than 1 LAN point, you would minimally need a switch for each. A router (configure as a non router such as ap mode) can be used as well if you have 1 lying around and doing nothing).

if your wireless ap is at a LAN point that has more LAN connected devices, perhaps, using a switch with POE (or a router not configured as a router mode) could be a better option.

bovi77

Reaction score
If your TV area and each of the rooms require more than 1 LAN point, you would minimally need a switch for each. A router (configure as a non router such as ap mode) can be used as well if you have 1 lying around and doing nothing).

if your wireless ap is at a LAN point that has more LAN connected devices, perhaps, using a switch with POE (or a router not configured as a router mode) could be a better option.

Good to know router can be used as LAN switch too.

The poe power for the AP @ tv area, can it be provided at the riser box? (Poe adapter at riser's router)

I just checked and i actually have 6 lan points. If i want all 6 to have internet then i'd need a router with 6 lan out points? Because most routers i see only have 4 lans and 1 wan. For the remaining 2 lan i use a switch?

Appreciate the help

Last edited:

miloaisdino

Reaction score

The poe power for the AP @ tv area, can it be provided at the riser box? (Poe adapter at riser's router)

I just checked and i actually have 6 lan points. If i want all 6 to have internet then i'd need a router with 6 lan out points? Because most routers i see only have 4 lans and 1 wan. For the remaining 2 lan i use a switch?

Appreciate the help
Can and yes

giraffey

Reaction score

Appreciate the help

yup, just use a switch. but use one that supports 1000mbps. same for your other rooms.

bovi77

Reaction score
thanks guys. to clarify,

scenario A
with a 4 LAN port router,
router lan 1- tv area > switch > tv, AP
router lan 2- living rm
router lan 3- mbr
router lan 4- switch > bed 2, bed 3, shelter

vs

scenario B

router lan 1 - switch > tv area , living rm , mbr, bed 2, bed 3 & shelter. where tv area has another switch for tv & AP.

if scenario B is possible, then I can put a small router (even non wireless) in the riser box & a switch. Instead of a big router with 6 lan ports.

For my intention of tv area having lan to tv & poe to a AP (unifi lite etc), would it be more elegant work to use the unifi AP IW (in wall) - so that I won't need a switch there?

I need voip phone too, how does that affect the setup?

adding a newb question: PoE power transferable?
If my router can supply PoE or I attach a PoE adapter to the router Lan port, then subsequently connect it to my riser box lan point which then routes to tv area lan point. Will an AP at this tv area receive the PoE power still?
Do I also assume correctly that PoE power from router will not pass over to a switch?

thanks

Last edited:

squarepipe

Reaction score
thanks guys. to clarify,

scenario A
router lan 1- tv area > switch > tv, AP
router lan 2- living rm
router lan 3- mbr
router lan 4- switch > bed 2, bed 3, shelter

vs

scenario B

router lan 1 - switch > tv area , living rm , mbr, bed 2, bed 3 & shelter. where tv area has another switch for tv & AP.

if scenario B is possible, then I can put a small router (even non wireless) in the riser box & a switch. Instead of a big router with 6 lan ports.

For my intention of tv area having lan to tv & poe to a AP (unifi lite etc), would it be more elegant work to use the unifi AP IW (in wall) - so that I won't need a switch there?

I need voip phone too, how does that affect the setup?

adding a newb question: PoE power transferable?
If my router can supply PoE or I attach a PoE adapter to the router Lan port, then subsequently connect it to my riser box lan point which then routes to tv area lan point. Will an AP at this tv area receive the PoE power still?
Do I also assume correctly that PoE power from router will not pass over to a switch?

thanks

PoE cannot be daissy chain!! If you put Poe into an unsupported router, you will break it.

squarepipe

Reaction score
daisy chain, that's the term!

where should i set up/start the PoE injector ? router is at riser (& also a switch if need be).

Only can poe power the poe device! nothing else less you destroy your device. If you got more then 1 poe device get a poe switch.Ubiquiti makes a 8 port poe switch capable of powering all 8 poe devices from its ports

bovi77

Reaction score
Only can poe power the poe device! nothing else less you destroy your device. If you got more then 1 poe device get a poe switch.Ubiquiti makes a 8 port poe switch capable of powering all 8 poe devices from its ports

thanks for saving me.

with this ubiquiti 8 port poe switch, must it only be used for poe devices? sorry, just really noob.

Because I'll only require 1 poe to the AP. But i need a switch since need to connect to 5 Lan points around the house via the riser box (e.g. to my desktop).

I was thinking the PoE switch can use for POE and non-POE. i.e. it will auto detect if end device needs PoE or not, if it's a desktop nic then it will not supply power just data. re: US-8-60W Ubiquiti

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.