Do you switch your PSU on/off via the switch at the back every time you use your PC?

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Might be a bit of a duh question for some, I suppose? But do you?

For some reason I was thinking of something that Alev Tav said to me many years back when I called them about some problems I was facing regarding possible PSU failure on a Verudium PSU (yeah, remember those?), and I brought up to them that, when I switch the PSU on or off via the switch at the back of the PSU there’d be this electrical ”bzzzt” noise ... and the guy told me - quite matter-of-factly - that I shouldn’t be switching on / off via this switch in the first place, just leave it on and switch on / off at the power socket.

Does anyone here actually believe in that?

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually that switch will be remained ON all the time.

Unless want to do CMOS reset or remove the whole casing.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That puny switch actually has quite low cycling rating compared to other switches that you see.

Plus the bzzzt that you're hearing is arcing due to the low spring force and consequently low switch-closing speed.

NMSS_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Motherboard still need tickle charges to maintain the components. Always turn off your PC by shutdown in the windows. Never off the power completely.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Always leave switch in On position. Power on/off the wall mains switch as required.

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will only off the wall socket cos wanna off everything including monitor, speakers, etc....

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
When i need to replace any parts or disassemble, i will off the switch and remove the powercord. Most people dont do that and it makes me cringe.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I only do this when i need to open up my PC to change something. Else, it's always on the on position.

d3adc3II

Reaction score
I turn it on/off whenever I like, and never had issue before.

My last psu served me good for 8 years and I still could sell it off for $30 on Carousell.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I turn it on/off whenever I like, and never had issue before.

My last psu served me good for 8 years and I still could sell it off for $30 on Carousell.

I bet you didn't state you used for 8 years :s13:

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Motherboard still need tickle charges to maintain the components. Always turn off your PC by shutdown in the windows. Never off the power completely.

Which components need maintaining through trickle charge?

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will off/on the PSU switch, then off the main supply switch when I am doing the follow:

-Reset CMOS
-Changing/upgrading of components.
-Bootloop restart of computer when overclocking goes haywire
-Extended holiday and I turn off the main power supply.

Other than that it stay on. :)

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only when I need to access the internals for maintenance and/or upgrade bah :crazy:

NMSS_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which components need maintaining through trickle charge?

Motherboard components. Hardware can simply "died off" when when the PC is off from a long period of time. Same thing with phone or other electronic stuff. I believe technology hasnt changed much that we dont need to.

robbedzombie

Banned
Reaction score
Motherboard components. Hardware can simply "died off" when when the PC is off from a long period of time. Same thing with phone or other electronic stuff. I believe technology hasnt changed much that we dont need to.

wow so pro, my new guru

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Means cannot turn off the wall socket?

NMSS_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Means cannot turn off the wall socket?

Yes. try not to for long period of time. Similarly phone that was not charged will exhibit strange problems after years of unused. However, phone that was charged occasionally will not have such issues.

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. try not to for long period of time. Similarly phone that was not charged will exhibit strange problems after years of unused. However, phone that was charged occasionally will not have such issues.

I use my com almost everyday though so I guess it's alright. Yea, noticed some of my devices not working after not using them for a long time.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
IM curious to know too..
I always power off my main switch when not using.
My PSU switch I never touch.

For laptops how?

My laptop didn't switch on for two year, tried to turn it on last month and everything still working. I guess the myths circulating should not be taken seriously.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.