Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ty for comprehensive reply!

my chui bike is budget 2002 avalanche 2.0

its old rim vbrakes.

i like the idea of 1x since its 1 less component should be more robust.
think it should be fine for pavement/commuting, just duno how jialat would a 1x8/1x10/1x11 be for trail climbs

the 1x10 xtrada 6 i am looking at also is not full deore i think.. 849

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/best-gear-ratio-climbing-794363.html
in the above link i am thinking some of those posts are seasoned or regular MTBikers on trails so i think if you can acheive 1:1 ratio for your lowest gear for a 1x drivetrain ought to be fine for all/most? Example i would think a 36-38T single chainring upfront and 11-40T rear on a 1x8 should be good to go for any terrain unless the cyclist super strong/fit and 36 : 11 is too slow for flats :s13:

egnaro911

Reaction score
I would suggest Shimano over Litepro but only because more familiar with former. Actually if not in a hurry Rodalink has sales often and parts like crankset are also on sale ^^

I do pretty like Rodalink, will keep a look out on them.

Thanks

Charles_Chi4

Reaction score
Just bought travelo folding bike, and realised it has no mud guard / fenders.

Where to get one? Prefer it lightweight and get it installed by the seller (workshop)

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score
lol just sent bike to service

he also tell me not worth changing my chui bike's the whole groupo (cass, crankset, Ds, shifters) to current deore + doing new wheelset.. might as well just buy a new stock bike with deore

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score
any decent floor pump to reco? that topeak joe blow or something i see like 60~70 bucks lol

now still got ppl ride on*one steelies or not?

egnaro911

Reaction score
any decent floor pump to reco? that topeak joe blow or something i see like 60~70 bucks lol

now still got ppl ride on*one steelies or not?

Can check out Giyo... Got cheap and good option. Cheap = plastic. Best with pressure indicator.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Byx? That sell bianchi. See what brands you interested in? Giant and Specialized is Tay, Merida is Hup Leong, Cannondale is Cannasia, Cervelo and Focus is Bikes n Bites, B'Twin is Decathlon.

aidenkong777

Reaction score
Newbie guide to bicycle hobby

Hey all, I am new to the hobby of cycling. I do know how to cycle but I feel like joining groups to cycle long distance and get myself a decent road bicycle with thin tyres to start. Anyone can share with me how much budget to set aside and where to get it?

Some recommended buying second hand road bicycles.

Currently I am residing in central area near Toa Payoh.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to the hobby of cycling. I do know how to cycle but I feel like joining groups to cycle long distance and get myself a decent road bicycle with thin tyres to start. Anyone can share with me how much budget to set aside and where to get it?

Hmm have you done some fairly long distance cycling before and have road confidence on a bicycle? Well you set the budget and yes going used is fine if you know what to look out for =:p

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Try to have a budget of 2k for a very decent beginner road bike. 3k to 4k will give u a reasonably good and competent bike. 6k will get u an above average bike. 8k will give u excellent bike. 10k n above a superb one.

As for group rides esp long distances, they may roll at a minimum speed of 28kph. If you cannot catch up with them, u may ended up riding alone or get lost somewhere. You will still have to train up on your own in the beginning for maybe 2 or 3 months. When u are free, learn some cyclist hand signals from YouTube or cycling websites before you join the group rides.

Posted from PCWX using BLA-L29

Last edited:

Jhyun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Nowadays people prefer fat tyres

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nowadays people prefer fat tyres

for road bikes usually 25mm or 28mm. Many seasoned cyclists are still using 23mm as they are already so used to it.

Jhyun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for road bikes usually 25mm or 28mm. Many seasoned cyclists are still using 23mm as they are already so used to it.

Find it quite hard to go down to 23 after trying 25 and 28. There's abit of drag when using 28 but once you start rolling the comfort benefits more than make up for it, especially during long rides.

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Find it quite hard to go down to 23 after trying 25 and 28. There's abit of drag when using 28 but once you start rolling the comfort benefits more than make up for it, especially during long rides.

to me the sweet spot is 25mm. 23mm a bit more difficult to handle.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really cannot use normal wd40 on the bicycle chain?

WD-40 doesn't really lubricate much of anything. It's actually a de-greaser, so it will remove any lubricant from bicycle chains? Believe it or not i used singer oil as lube and it actually works ok but need to apply fairly often haha

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought this to try.
2jg9cfq.jpg
WD-40 doesn't really lubricate much of anything. It's actually a de-greaser, so it will remove any lubricant from bicycle chains? Believe it or not i used singer oil as lube and it actually works ok but need to apply fairly often haha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.