(Official Tengah NOV 2018 BTO Thread) Consolidate all research here!

Gaddy23

Reaction score
Its close to JE MRT area. Good for ppl with parents in the west side. Punggol imo is even more far flung. Bad thing is the MRT logjam at JE in the future. I can't imagine it. Its also relatively close to DTL at Bukit Panjang. 20min bus ride or so.

SuperZ

Reaction score
Are you thinking of balloting for a unit at Tengah? In that case maybe you might want to look at a different estate for your own piece of mind?

Where I ballot is none of your business. We are here in this forum to discuss facts and observations and draw logical deductions and conclusions from possible outcome of situations. These would assist us in making our choices.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Where I ballot is none of your business. We are here in this forum to discuss facts and observations and draw logical deductions and conclusions from possible outcome of situations. These would assist us in making our choices.

Yes where you want to ballot is none of my business. I also agree wholeheartedly with you about the purpose of this forum. However, aren't you being hypocritical about saying that by shooting down my views?

I was just giving you a suggestion since you seem to be worrying about this issue. It looks to me that if you ballot for a unit at Tengah, you are going to be worrying about the mosquito issue from the very day that you pick your unit until the very day that you move out of it.

Just like the people who want to ballot for Punggol but yet worry about the air quality issue from Pasir Gudang. Wouldn't it be better for them to just pick somewhere further away if they are going to worry about it?

You seem to be staying quite happily at BP, really interested about why you want to give yourself a hard time by balloting for Tengah.

SuperZ

Reaction score
Hey Fat something ..... let me be clear. I did not shoot down anyone's view. I am just using logical deduction to draw from TS statement "Mosquitos aplenty in communal farms" to Tengah situation. And do not call anyone hypocritical when you did not read carefully.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Hey Fat something ..... let me be clear. I did not shoot down anyone's view. I am just using logical deduction to draw from TS statement "Mosquitos aplenty in communal farms" to Tengah situation. And do not call anyone hypocritical when you did not read carefully.

Ah I apologise about that. You did not shoot down my views. You were just being really mean about the advice/suggestions that I had offered to you. I'm sorry my kindheartedness was misplaced on you.

SuperZ

Reaction score
Listen! Fat Something .... first you offered a sarcastic unsolicited reply. Then you called people "hypocritical", later you called people "mean". Are you trying to stir trouble here by writing another sarcastic reply?

Meinu96

Reaction score
I’ve lived in Jurong West Extension for all my life; 22 years. Have seen the area develop from the time when there was very limited amenities, so I know roughly how the pioneer batch of Tengah residents would have to go through...

A little background info
1. I was born in 1996.
2. Jurong West sports complex only opened around December 2006. Before that, have to go to Jurong East sports complex or Bukit Batok swimming complex.
2b. My primary 4 sports day, in April 2006, before Jurong West stadium opened, was in Singapore Poly stadium, at Dover. Point is, imagine having to go to elsewhere for the amenities, as they are not yet available at Tengah.
3. Jurong West library was at Jurong Point level 4 before moving to the Frontier CC in 2006.
3b. Boon Lay Bus Interchange, Boon Lay MRT Extension (Pioneer & Joo Koon), plus Jurong Point Extension...
3c. Point: the central area of Jurong West Extension was a construction site for a period of time, from 2005 to 2009.

... the con of living in an entirely new town is there.

Sure, some road connections to PIE and Bukit Batok is there, and public bus connections to surrounding MRT station(s) at Bukit Batok, Jurong East, Chinese Garden, etcetera. will be available whenever the new flats are ready.

But the pioneer batch of Tengah residents have to be prepared to travel long distances to other towns for amenities, such as grocery shopping, sports complex, polyclinic, etcetera.

Nearest shopping centre is no doubt West Mall at Bukit Batok, and the more-renowned JEM and West Gate at Jurong East. There’s 160 to Jurong East, and several buses to Bukit Batok. Around 20 minutes ride. So, that’s the alternative.

Whereas people (eg. Jurong West residents) usually take around 10 minutes to travel to town centre to take MRT or buy things, the pioneer batch of Tengah residents have to take around 20 minutes to travel further to Bukit Batok or Jurong East to take MRT or buy things. This is the negative of being the pioneer batch of an entirely new town.

Also, about the construction site, it’s legit. Construction sites all over. For sure security will be in place to make sure the construction workers won’t disturb the residents. But the dust and noise confirm will be there.

Better to buy Punggol if you want new flat and set up family at the same time. Punggol is more family friendly. Tengah will take a while for it to be develop and be family friendly, whereby the infrastructure is there and services readily available to serve the community.

Community amenities may seem little to the adults. But to the children who spend most of their time in the neighbourhood, I don’t think it’s healthy for them to be in an under-construction town all the time, whereby everyday is just school and home... and confirm family time also have to travel out.

Of course, the pro is that because Tengah is an entirely new town, the price is at its lowest. But in my opinion, it’s good for long-term investment only, but not good for setting up family.

Setting up family would be better in Punggol. Of course Tengah as a new town would still be new by the time the pioneer batch of Tengah children become adults, like the people like me who were the first generation of “Jurong West Extension children”... but, considering there are other places that are more established, with amenities already available, like Punggol, Canberra, etcetera. Wouldn’t it be better to buy housing apartment over there, as compared to Tengah?

Just saying...

Last edited:

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^^ I think FatPat is just responding to your many concerns about mosquitoes. Certainly do not think anyone is trying to insinuate anything. I personally feel mosquitoes will breed anywhere. My friend put up mosquito nets at the window and he stays further down at the BTOs around Keat Hong. They say the big forest opposite brings in many mozzies. Personally I will not do that as it reduces the draft that comes into the flat and I like the breeze.

Appreciate the nice discussion going on here. Tengah's main pool of interests will come from those who have parents in the West and want to continue to be around the area. I believe Tengah will be the main source of non mature BTOs in the west in the years to come as most other areas are already pretty full. Any further east and we are looking at mature estate prices (ie 5 Room becomes unaffordable for those newly starting a family).

Nice to see we have a small community of people interested in a place here, the west has never been a hot spot for anything in general. Haha.

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Took a pic of the land on which the first Tengah plantation launches will be built some weeks back. If you look carefully you can see part of the future road has already been built.

nZ1Vjo3.jpg

@Bill@710

Reaction score
Nice one deskoh91.. This really give us a real perspective to our future home. Well done.. 👍👍👍

TheAlphaLion

Reaction score
Took a pic of the land on which the first Tengah plantation launches will be built some weeks back. If you look carefully you can see part of the future road has already been built.

nZ1Vjo3.jpg

So much for "Forest Town".... they cut down all the trees :s22:

@Bill@710

Reaction score
😀Actually it is greener than expected.. U should see the satellite image of the site.. It is totally brown..

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

nZ1Vjo3.jpg

Kinda sad that the big patch of forest is gone..

@Bill@710

Reaction score
Kinda sad that the big patch of forest is gone..

Agree it is sad to see greenery reduce.. But we have to give credit to hdb to try to improve our living Area with more green.

Tengah bto development might well be the turning trend to make our SG even more green.

Our population increase we need more living space.. So more tree have to go.. But if we can integrate green to our living it is a win win..

Just my two cents opinion.. 😀

@Bill@710

Reaction score
cant wait for the ballot to start!

Should be in a month time.. Maybe we will get more news then. I m v cautious regarding car free town. How they implement it when only a section of tengah is build.. Hmmm

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.