Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bufpuf

Reaction score
This will be our first trip to a snow country.

I am quite confused over the jackets we need to prepare for Hokkaido.
Will be there ard 2nd week of Dec with our 2 children.

My friend keep insisting that we should get down jacket.
Down is the popular choice merely because of the light weight?

My SIL gave us some North Face jackets which are 100% polyester and they look really thick/warm. Some come with reversible fleec (furry material..so i think is fleec) and padded polyester on the other side. Some are polyester on both side.

Inner wear + long sleeve shirt + fleec/polyester jacket should be sufficient?

thwysg

Reaction score

My SIL gave us some North Face jackets which are 100% polyester and they look really thick/warm. Some come with reversible fleec (furry material..so i think is fleec) and padded polyester on the other side. Some are polyester on both side.

I’ve not been there in Dec, but been there this Feb with the mister. -20°C was the coldest when we were at Otsu-kaigan in Obihiro. Body warmers, North Face Triclimate jackets (2-pc jacket), base layer (top and bottom) and, jeans with tee. Gloves as well, ours have two layers - fleece and waterproof. Bring along thermal flasks for warm drinks. They help a lot if you can’t take the cold.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

From your description, the North Face jackets are good enough for winter.

I have a similar jacket which I wore to Finland in winter at -24deg - fleece on the inside (detachable jacket), padded polyester (windproof and waterproof) on the outside. It's good enough for the wind and cold, but I have a normal tee + a zipped knitted sweater underneath the jacket. No thermals except for bottoms (bottom thermal inner wear + jeans). Wool socks with mid-cut winter boots. Gloves also a must of course. Add on a beanie to pull down to cover your ears if the wind is strong and harsh.

(P.S. Hokkaido in Dec won't be as cold, so I'm just letting you know the above setup is good enough for an adult at minus twenty-something degrees. For your reference only. Must remember that everyone's cold tolerance is different.)

My recommendation is always don't go for thermal inner wear if you are just city hopping (aka going in and out of trains/buses/cars and heated malls/shops). Instead, go for layers. Layers that are easy to take off when indoors if required. Use thermal inner wear only if you are doing winter activities like skiing or snowboarding or hiking for the entire day.

Last edited:

9N1Y9N1Y

Reaction score
1 month to my trip was trying to reserve the Narita Express ticket on their official site but i cant select the collection place. it keep pop up that venue need 2 days before travelling date. my selection is narita airport. any advise

and for Ghibli Museum was trying to book 4 Nov ticket which only open today but show sold out since this morning. Is there other place to purchase?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
1 month to my trip was trying to reserve the Narita Express ticket on their official site but i cant select the collection place. it keep pop up that venue need 2 days before travelling date. my selection is narita airport. any advise

and for Ghibli Museum was trying to book 4 Nov ticket which only open today but show sold out since this morning. Is there other place to purchase?

The Lawson website likely shows the actual situation of the tickets liao. You can try Airfrov but I think it's too late for that. I got my Ghibli tickets by requesting in Airfrov two months in advance. I also provided alternative dates for the traveller who took up my request...

You can try to down to JTB to ask if they still have tickets for 4th Nov or not. If they do, you will have to book at least one night of accommodation with them before they will sell you the Ghibli tickets (their accomodation prices super marked up one). I personally feel it's bo hua but if you die die must visit Ghibli, can give JTB a try...

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think klook and KKday are also selling? Can try with them.

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don’t think need to reserve Narita express ahead of time since I think a lot of people don’t actually use it ......

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NEX need reserve one? That time I land just go counter buy the round trip ticket and board the next one out..

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Planning to take the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka to meet my family.

May I know, as a Singaporean, is there any discount for this one way trip ? Is there any place in Singapore I can buy this ticket as I scare no more by the time I am in Japan.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Down jackets are lighter, eg. those from uniqlo. i was in sapporo in 3rd week of dec 2 years back. temp around 8c. fine for me and family using uniqlo jackets. it all depends on ur tolerance level.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to take the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka to meet my family.

May I know, as a Singaporean, is there any discount for this one way trip ? Is there any place in Singapore I can buy this ticket as I scare no more by the time I am in Japan.

Thank you so much.

Order online la. Discount? I doubt it.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shinkansen no discount for tourist..Only JRP is available as discount for tourist(Depending on how u use it)..

Last edited:

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I am going to Tokyo from 5-10th November.

I guess a normal wool material Uniqlo jacket will do? Not gonna haul my Nordic wear there - Seems like overkill. Hahaha..

By the are there any nice hotels hovering about 100SGD to intro? Some nice convinient ones. Figure out that I wont be in them for much of the time. Dont want to spend big on hotels stay.

Thanks.

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I guess a normal wool material Uniqlo jacket will do? Not gonna haul my Nordic wear there - Seems like overkill. Hahaha..

By the are there any nice hotels hovering about 100SGD to intro? Some nice convinient ones. Figure out that I wont be in them for much of the time. Dont want to spend big on hotels stay.

Thanks.

toyoko-inns are very decent & are around that price in Tokyo

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Depends on your cold level thou..

Was there around the same period back in 2015..one heattech and one sweater..

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i think its the Wind. When in Europe i was faced with rains n wind. Nv been to Japan. i think if its sunny n all i should be fine even in normal clothes during the day time.

I guess the furry type of Uniqlo with heat tech should do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.