Home Cooking preferably LCHF Series - share ideas etc

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hope you get your blood work done regularly to ensure that your lipids are ok. Otherwise your risk for CHD will shoot up.

I have done a blood test half a year ago, eating normal diet carbs and everything resulted in very high triglycerides. Might as well try this, I need to lose 15-20kg of fats away anyway.

I have done keto before few years ago. lost maybe like few kg but stopped as found it tiring to cook Everyday then bring it to office, also almost no veggies then just meat. Thus why this time I choose Omad, after work then go home cook with vege and avocados.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Marika Sboros
‏@MarikaSboros
Following Following @MarikaSboros
More Marika Sboros Retweeted Dr Aseem Malhotra
Hmm. Are the prescription drugs you are taking a waste of time? Watch a cardiologist with REAL heart@ DrAseemMalhotra on that topic!

Dr Aseem Malhotra
@DrAseemMalhotra
Follow Follow @DrAseemMalhotra
More
Prescribed medication and health illiteracy of doctors is now a massive threat to public health. My BBC Radio 5 Live guest edit also features a heart attack patient who made an informed decision to stop all pills and change diet instead https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=b-spF3bIK20 … @martinmckee #NHScardiologist

11:26 PM - 12 Oct 2018

Lady sings The blues
3 days ago
John Ionnides Rocks! Please don't stop bringing us your particular brand of clarity and honesty, Dr. Malhotra, your message is getting through.

Okkä
‏@okkatop5
50s50 seconds ago
More
Replying to @DrAseemMalhotra @martinmckee and 10 others
As an AHP I find the phrase "health illiteracy of doctors" extremely worrying

JaneG
‏@JaneG8992
24m24 minutes ago
More
Replying to @DrAseemMalhotra @martinmckee and 10 others
Very interesting

Farmahond
‏@Farmahond
15m15 minutes ago
More
Zolang slechts 7% van het onderzoek aan de hoogste standaarden voldoet zijn het vooral patiënten die lijden. Of nog erger: door dubieuze adviezen en beleid worden consumenten patiënt gemaakt. Bigfood en Bigfarma trekken samen op.

Translated from Dutch by Microsoft
As long as only 7% of the research meets the highest standards, it is mainly patients who suffer. Or even worse: by dubious opinions and policies, consumers are being made patient. Bigfood and Bigfarma draw together.

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My IF Intermittent Fasting Food Log for today

My 18:6 IF lunch after 1pm today
Was the usual LC Fish Soup
Using another pic as didn't bother to take pic today
b0wVVrL.jpg

No pic of Tea time mug of tea n a peanut snack item

Dinner was simply this flavorful saltish Braised Brinjal Pork Tofu Heibi Salt Fish Cuttlefish + collagen-rich Black Fungus n Coral Seaweed bits All-in-One dish - I forgot to soak the salted fish as only soaked the heibi so it was slightly more salty than desired since didn't eat with any rice too
h0QoxZa.jpg

Don't have to tell me - it doesn't look too appetizing there but it's very flavourful/tasty
C7uHpUr.jpg

Luc09GG.jpg

After dinner shared platter of fruit n some of the 3rd tub Jap Mizu Yakon from last week - Red Bean Coral Seaweed Agar Jelly with Jasmine Osmanthus Goji
APYLCRj.jpg

All in STILL well within the Liberal LC limit 130g carbs !

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/well/heart-risk-doctors-lipoprotein.html

A Heart Risk Factor Even Doctors Know Little About

merlin_131898272_28501cff-60e8-473f-9b4b-4f6e86566274-jumbo.jpg

Bob Harper, the celebrity fitness trainer from the TV show “The Biggest Loser,” suffered a heart attack last year. He eventually found out the cause was a particle in the blood called lipoprotein(a), which few doctors test for.

By Anahad O’Connor
Jan. 9, 2018

To millions of Americans, Bob Harper was the picture of health, a celebrity fitness trainer who whipped people into shape each week on the hit TV show “The Biggest Loser.”

But last February, Mr. Harper, 52, suffered a massive heart attack at a New York City gym and went into cardiac arrest. He was saved by a bystander who administered CPR and a team of paramedics who rushed him to a hospital, where he spent two days in a coma.

When he awoke, Mr. Harper was baffled, as were his doctors. His annual medical checkups had indicated he was in excellent health. How could this have happened to someone seemingly so healthy?

The culprit, in turned out, was a fatty particle in the blood called lipoprotein(a). While doctors routinely test for other lipoproteins like HDL and LDL cholesterol, few test for lipoprotein(a), also known as lp(a), high levels of which triple the risk of having a heart attack or stroke at an early age.

For most people, lp(a) is nothing to worry about. Levels are strongly determined by genetics and the majority of people produce very little of it.

But up to one in five Americans, including Mr. Harper, have perilously high levels of it in their blood. Studies show that diet and exercise have almost no impact on lp(a), and cholesterol-lowering drugs only modestly lower it.

“People don’t know about it, physicians don’t know about it, and we have to get an education program out there, but that’s expensive,” said Dr. Henry N. Ginsberg, the Irving Professor of Medicine at Columbia University and a leading expert on lp(a). “I would say that somewhere between 15 to 20 percent of the population would clearly benefit from knowing that this is their problem.”

Lp(a) was discovered in 1963 by a Norwegian scientist, Kare Berg, who noticed that it was especially common among people with coronary heart disease. No one knows precisely what purpose lp(a) serves in the body, though some scientists speculate that it may have a beneficial role such as helping to repair injured cells or preventing infections by binding to pathogens in the blood.

But the downside of excessive lp(a) is clear: It accelerates the formation of plaque in the arteries, and it promotes blood clots.

“It’s sort of a double whammy,” said Dr. Donald Lloyd-Jones, a cardiologist at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine who helped write the American Heart Association’s cholesterol guidelines. “Biologically, lp(a) both gets into the artery wall and causes damage there more easily.”

Studies suggest that the threshold for high lp(a) begins around 30 milligrams per deciliter of blood. Heart disease risk jumps for those in the 80th percentile, with lp(a) levels above 60, and climbs sharply for the 5 percent of the population with lp(a) levels between 150 and 300, according to Dr. Ginsberg at Columbia. “Those people can be disasters in terms of cardiovascular risk,” he said.

Yet many people at high risk do not fit the typical profile of a person with heart disease. Sandra Revill Tremulis was a health-conscious medical device executive who moonlighted as an aerobics instructor, followed a strict diet, and maintained 16 percent body fat, equivalent to that of an elite athlete. Her LDL and total cholesterol levels were low, and at age 39, her Framingham risk score, which gauges heart disease risk, put her odds of having a heart attack in her 40s at just 1 percent.

But when she started experiencing extreme fatigue and struggled to finish her workouts, she went to an interventional cardiologist and asked for a thorough work-up — which revealed that she had a 95 percent blockage in one of her coronary arteries.

“I was imminent to have a widow-maker heart attack at age 39,” she said.

Further testing showed she had high lp(a), which she believes she inherited from her father, who died of a heart attack at age 50. Determined to raise awareness, Ms. Revill Tremulis started a nonprofit, the Lipoprotein(a) Foundation, and now travels the globe advocating for wider testing.

“Only a small percentage of physicians know about this,” she said. “The biggest challenge for patients is finding knowledgeable physicians who know about this and can help them.”

Dr. Lloyd-Jones at Northwestern said that testing for lp(a) should be considered for people with early-onset cardiovascular disease — which means younger than age 50 for men and age 60 for women — or a strong family history of it. Since high lp(a) is hereditary, those who have it often have a parent, sibling or grandparent who suffered a premature heart attack or stroke. When one person has it, it’s important to test other family members too.

“It’s what we call cascade screening, looking for affected first-degree relatives,” Dr. Lloyd-Jones said.

Once high lp(a) is identified, doctors try to mitigate its effects by controlling other risk factors. They aggressively lower patients’ LDL cholesterol, optimize their blood pressure and blood sugar, and strongly encourage healthy diet and exercise habits.

Two medications, niacin and a class of drugs known as PCSK9 inhibitors, have been shown to modestly reduce lp(a) levels. But niacin, a B vitamin, has many side effects, and PCSK9 inhibitors, which are not approved for lp(a) lowering, are not usually covered by insurance for that purpose and can cost as much as $14,000 a year.

At least one drug company, Akcea Therapeutics, a spinoff of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, is developing a drug specifically to combat lp(a), but the drug is still in mid-stage testing and it could be years before it reaches the market.

Since his heart attack, Mr. Harper of “The Biggest Loser” has embarked on a newfound mission to raise awareness about heart disease and to urge people to get tested for lp(a).

His days no longer revolve around intense and grueling workouts, he said. Instead he believes the key to being healthy is managing stress, getting proper sleep, eating a balanced diet and enjoying life because it could end at any moment, an approach he has outlined in his new book, “The Super Carb Diet.”

“Being healthy is not about what you can do in the gym,” Mr. Harper said. “It’s not about what you can do on the outside. It’s what’s going on in the inside. I really needed to find out what was going on with me, and that’s what this did. It woke me up.”

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The TRUTH about MILO - a balanced breakfast in SA ???

Hmmmm what about our HPB n Halimah then in SG .....

https://twitter.com/MarikaSboros/status/1051001167940112384

Marika Sboros
‏@MarikaSboros
Following Following @MarikaSboros
More Marika Sboros Retweeted EATegrity
Wonder if @DietitianClaire, @ADSA_RD and @SAHeartStroke would promote this with a straight face? Marika Sboros added,

EATegrity
@EATegrity_Sonia
Are you kidding me? #Milo being promoted as a balanced breakfast ?? @HealthZA really needs to start doing some work on this please. @ncdalliance @NCDFREE @un_ncd https://twitter.com/nestlesa/status/1050274287691722752 …https://twitter.com/nestlesa/status/1050274287691722752 …

11:46 PM - 12 Oct 2018

EATegrity
@EATegrity_Sonia
More
Replying to @MarikaSboros @DietitianClaire and 2 others
we know who supports #BigFood bad health products & why so suspect they would promote it ~unashamedly- oooh but problem - where’s the #fibrerich claim that they like to hang their approval on? Gosh we are in a shocking state in South Africa when #Milo can openly make health claim

EATegrity
‏@EATegrity_Sonia
46m46 minutes ago
More
need to focus on accountability or lack thereof & failure of Consumer Protection Act via government in keeping citizens informed & safe ~ we are in a pitiful state in South Africa ~ citizens purposefully kept in the dark about #realfood nutrition vs #processed fakefood @NCDFREE

EATegrity
‏@EATegrity_Sonia
43m43 minutes ago
More
Replying to @MarikaSboros @DietitianClaire and 2 others
Nestle Admits Milo Isn’t Healthy By Dropping Its Health Star Rating https://www.elitereaders.com/nestle-australia-milo-health-star-rating/ … “Health advocates claim the brand has been “tricking” consumers into believing Milo is actually nutritious.”
n83hnMnE

Fat is our Friend
‏@fatisourfriend
25m25 minutes ago
More
About time too!

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/genaughton57/status/1051110426283528192

Nina Teicholz
‏@bigfatsurprise
6h6 hours ago
More
The U.S. government has had to retract a lot of bad nutrition advice over the years. Maybe, says @baylenlinnekin, the government should get out of the nutrition advice biz #dietaryguidelines
aqIrAEuv

https://reason.com/archives/2018/09/22/new-research-confirms-we-got-cholesterol
New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong
The U.S. government has pushed a lot of bad nutrition advice over the years. Maybe it should stop advising us on what to eat.

Jerry Naughton
‏@genaughton57
Follow Follow @genaughton57
More
Replying to @bigfatsurprise @baylenlinnekin
But they don’t really retract, do they? They “update the guidelines” or find that some foods are “no longer a concern,” or eating LCHF is “now approved.”

They’ve never exhibited an ounce of @ProfTimNoakes integrity to plainly state “that was wrong.”

And they never will.

7:00 AM - 13 Oct 2018

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong

The U.S. government has pushed a lot of bad nutrition advice over the years. Maybe it should stop advising us on what to eat.

Baylen Linnekin | September 22, 2018

A comprehensive new study on cholesterol, based on results from more than a million patients, could help upend decades of government advice about diet, nutrition, health, prevention, and medication. Just don't hold your breath.

The study, published in the Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology, centers on statins, a class of drugs used to lower levels of LDL-C, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, in the human body. According to the study, statins are pointless for most people.

"No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading physicians have claimed" in the study, reports the Daily Mail. The Express likewise says the new study finds "no evidence that high levels of 'bad' cholesterol cause heart disease."

The study also reports that "heart attack patients were shown to have lower than normal cholesterol levels of LDL-C" and that older people with higher levels of bad cholesterol tend to live longer than those with lower levels.

This is probably news to many in government. But it's not news to everyone.

"In fact researchers have known for decades from nutrition studies that LDL-C is not strongly correlated with cardiac risk," says Nina Teicholz, an investigative journalist and author of The New York Times bestseller The Big Fat Surprise (along with a great recent Wall St. Journal op-ed highlighting ongoing flaws in federal dietary advice). In an email to me this week, she pointed out that "physicians continue focusing on LDL-C in part because they have drugs to lower it. Doctors are driven by incentives to prescribe pills for nutrition-related diseases rather than better nutrition—a far healthier and more natural approach."

Cholesterol in our diets comes from animals and animal products—including eggs, meat, fish, and dairy. The government told us for decades that these foods were, to varying degrees, dangerous.

Federal dietary policy is shaped by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), which meets every five years to update its findings. The government touts the DGAC and the dietary guidelines it develops as "an important resource to help our Nation reach its highest standard of health."

The federal government's war on cholesterol, as early DGAC recommendations suggest, dates back decades. For example, the 1995 DGAC report stressed the dangers of dietary cholesterol.

"Most people are aware that high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are linked to increased blood cholesterol levels and a greater risk for heart disease," it declares. "Choosing foods with less cholesterol and saturated fat will help lower your blood cholesterol levels."

Only in 2015 did federal dietary guidelines (mostly) halt the assault on cholesterol. Many hailed the news, while still stressing that high cholesterol levels in our bloodstreams is still a danger.

"There's a growing consensus among nutrition scientists that cholesterol in food has little effect on the amount of cholesterol in the bloodstream," a Harvard Medical School blog post noted that same year. "And that's the cholesterol that matters."

"The government's new stance on dietary cholesterol is in line with that of other nations, which do not single out cholesterol as an issue," the Washington Post reported following the release of the most recent dietary guidelines in 2016. "Yet it should not be confused with officials' continued warning about high levels of 'bad' cholesterol in the blood—something that has been clearly linked to heart disease."

But this most recent study is throwing cold water on many of those continued government warnings about blood cholesterol.

What's more, if bad cholesterol isn't so bad, then the benefits of so-called good cholesterol are also under assault. Recently, *HDL, the so-called "good" cholesterol, was itself deemed suspect in some cases.

Dietary fat also appears not to be the danger the government says it is. Another new study, reported on by Ron Bailey this week, suggests, as he writes, that the federal government's warnings to avoid dairy products that are high in fat "is bunk."

I'm not a nutritionist. I don't know if the science on cholesterol is settled. But the federal government has warned us for decades about cholesterol in our bodies and in our food. The fact those warnings are now changing means the government has, despite what I'm sure are the good intentions of everyone involved, been handing out poor dietary advice and developing regulations that reflect that poor advice.

I'm one of many who has called out the DGAC and the federal government for foisting "decades of confusing and often-contradictory dietary advice" upon the American public. I also suggested, in a column last year, that one way the government might back up its claims to possess invaluable and unparalleled expertise in the areas of food policy and nutrition would be stop regularly reversing or altering its recommendations.

"The reason that we don't know about these huge reversals in dietary advice is that the nutrition establishment is apparently loathe to make public their major reversals in policy," Teicholz says. "The low-fat diet is another example: neither the AHA or the dietary guidelines recommend a low-fat diet anymore. But they have yet to announce this to the American public. And some in the establishment are still fighting to retain the low-fat status quo."

I am not your doctor, nor your nutritionist. I have no idea what you should eat. Maybe the government should adopt that mantra, too.

*Correction: This sentence initially referred to LDL as the "good" cholesterol. LDL is widely considered to be an unhealthy cholesterol, while HDL is conventionally considered good.

Baylen Linnekin is a food lawyer, scholar, and adjunct law professor. He's the author of Biting the Hands that Feed Us: How Fewer, Smarter Laws Would Make Our Food System More Sustainable (Island Press 2016). Linnekin serves on the board of directors of the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund.

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
binbinpon should read The Big Fat Truth https://www.nature.com/news/the-big-fat-truth-1.13039

Walter Willet (The Ancel Keyes of 2018) of his favourite ARIC Study HIDES [simplifies/twists ?] truth/data for his (vegan) agenda so really cannot be trusted at all & guilty of being a hypocrite for Double Standards etc .... !

I wouldn't trust Willett or any Study Idea Conclusion etc that he's involved with !

https://twitter.com/GHGGuru/status/1050785851288895491

Frank Mitloehner
‏@GHGGuru
Follow Follow @GHGGuru
More
Remember the journal “Nature” strongly reprimanding Prof Walter Willett? This is the same Willett that just senior-authored the Nature article trashing animal protein. Sorry, but this individual stands for many things but “unequivocal consensus views”.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0594-0
8kA0uIZv

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2013/05/27/top-science-journal-rebukes-harvards-top-nutritionist/#d60e9e3173b0

Top Science Journal Rebukes Harvard's Top Nutritionist

9:30 AM - 12 Oct 2018

NYFarmer
‏@NYFarmer
6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
Massachusetts has lost so many livestock farms and dairy farms that it’s grassland bird species populations are crashing. Good milk was the product of these lands. Fed Boston. But this idiot preaches against good milk. 😡

Elizabeth Ward
‏@EWardRD
6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru @NYFarmer
Do you have the link to the most recent Nature article by Willett?

Alison Van Eenennaam
‏@BioBeef
5h5 hours ago
More
https://www.nature.com/news/shades-of-grey-1.13029 … and
https://www.nature.com/news/the-big-fat-truth-1.13039

Elizabeth Ward
‏@EWardRD
3h3 hours ago
More
Interesting! Thank you so much.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0594-0

Amanda ZZ©
‏@AmandaZZ100
1h1 hour ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru @ProfTimNoakes
The Ancel Keyes of 2018

NYFarmer
‏@NYFarmer
6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
Here in the Northeast, a regional beautiful rain fed grasslands, we have watched as HarvardSPH has trashed dairy and the beautiful landscapes it supports. Driving loss of green open spaces. What a shame

Peter Ballerstedt
‏@GrassBased
6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
You can always tell a Harvard man...
DpZIEBzUcAABGeT.jpg

mark robbins
‏@dugmartsch
Oct 12
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
What in the world is going on.

Peter Ballerstedt
‏@GrassBased
4h4 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
And SOMEHOW they couldn't address Mottet, et al. (2017) "Livestock: On our plates or eating at our table? A new analysis of the feed/food debate" https://goo.gl/MeftVE (unless I missed it)...

Euphori© BreaⓀ
‏@markva71
19h19 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru
"Bout time!

Dahlia N Bubbles ⚖️ 🌹
‏@dahliaNbubbles
6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @GHGGuru @NYFarmer
There are plenty of studies showing IGF1 found in Animal protein is a key driver in cancer, and that Animal based saturated fat is a factor in heart disease, diabetes....

©️ 🌊 Stronger Together
‏@TerriDF
4h4 hours ago
More
Not true at all. Comments like yours are why so many are dying from heart disease and complications from diabetes because they follow advice about eating lots of grains/other carbs. There are thousands/millions of people who have reversed both with ketogenic and carnivore diets.

Dahlia N Bubbles ⚖️ 🌹
‏@dahliaNbubbles
4h4 hours ago
More
Humans aren’t carnivores.... but thanks for playing.

©️ 🌊 Stronger Together
‏@TerriDF
2h2 hours ago
More
Our digestive tract is more similar to canines than anything else and funny enough, humans only require two 'essential' nutrients: protein and fat. There is no such thing as an 'essential' carbohydrate for the human body. We can tolerate some plants 'seasonally' but not essential

Dahlia N Bubbles ⚖️ 🌹
‏@dahliaNbubbles
1h1 hour ago
More
Eating too much raw meat has given you brain worms. Your beloved queen’s own husband who ate Big Macs in the 90s all to have several massive heart attacks then turned vegan and reversed heart disease... or is extreme short term memory required for Hillbots.

©️ 🌊 Stronger Together
‏@TerriDF
1h1 hour ago
More
lol...wow Trumpies are so ignorant. Meat has never caused a heart attack or cancer or anything of the sort or you wouldn't be alive today. Your ancestors were carnivores for much of the time because that's the only way the human brain grew to the size it is today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2013/05/27/top-science-journal-rebukes-harvards-top-nutritionist/#6c15d38c173b

Top Science Journal Rebukes Harvard's Top Nutritionist

Trevor Butterworth
May 27, 2013,

In an extraordinary editorial and feature article, Nature, one of the world’s pre-eminent scientific journals, has effectively admonished the chair of the Harvard School of Public Health’s nutrition department, Walter Willett, for promoting over-simplification of scientific results in the name of public health and engaging in unseemly behavior towards those who venture conclusions that differ to his.

Willett, who is one of the most frequently quoted academic sources on nutrition in the news media, appears to have crossed a Rubicon when he denounced Katherine Flegal, an epidemiologist at the US National Center for Health Statistics, for publishing a study that showed people who were overweight (but not obese) lived longer than those deemed normal weight. “This study is really a pile of rubbish, and no one should waste their time reading it,” he told National Public Radio.

Flegal had derived this conclusion from a meta-analysis of 97 studies covering 2.88 million people, and it had been published in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). What concerned Willett – and other public health experts, who as Nature reported, later staged a symposium to criticize it – was that it seemed to counteract the general message that people should lose weight. As the journal noted:

“Studies such as Flegal's are dangerous, Willett says, because they could confuse the public and doctors, and undermine public policies to curb rising obesity rates. ‘There is going to be some percentage of physicians who will not counsel an overweight patient because of this,’ he says. Worse, he says, these findings can be hijacked by powerful special-interest groups, such as the soft-drink and food lobbies, to influence policy-makers.”

Willett is well know for being forthright in his views; but describing Flegal’s work as a “pile of rubbish” appears to have ticked off obesity researchers and biostatisticians alike, for this isn’t the first study to arrive at such a finding – and researchers lined up to tell Nature why it was plausible: a little extra weight for those who were older or older and ill, could help rather than hurt. Moreover, Flegal herself responded with some sharp statistical criticism of Willett’s “rubbish” thesis.

There was also a spectacular irony in Willett’s complaints about Flegal’s study that will not have gone unnoticed in scientific circles, namely that Willett was the co-author of a study published last fall that generated enormous controversy when its dramatic conclusions were retracted at the last minute by the publicity team at Harvard’s teaching hospital, Brigham and Women’s. The study had been promoted to the media as showing a link between aspartame and cancer: “The truth isn’t sweet when it comes to artificial sweeteners,” said the press release. But the truth was that the statistical findings were so weak and confusing that no such claim could be supported, especially given that many systematic reviews of the evidence on aspartame had not found any such link.

At the time, Dr. Steven Nissen, chair of the Cleveland Clinic’s cardiovascular medicine department told NBC News: “Promoting a study that its own authors agree is not definite, not conclusive and not useful for the public is not in the best interests of public health.” As NBC’s Robert Bazell put it, “the situation is a great example of why the public often finds science confusing and frustrating.”

It also emerged that the study had been rejected by six journals, before being published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, where Willett is a member of the editorial board. “I do think this finding is strong enough to justify further study on aspartame and cancer risk,” Willett told NPR.

In other words, findings, no matter how vague, are still good when Willett is involved in the study, even though they muddy the public health message on aspartame, which is that it is safe; but findings, even if they are stronger – as with Flegal’s – are bad when they muddy the public health message on weight gain.

This is more than merely unsporting: Such a brazen double standard is a warning that what counts as “science” in public health is a mixture of data – good, bad and middling –, methodological limitations, and interpretation. The goal – to save the public either from themselves or external threats – influences what is researched and how that research is interpreted. Given the complexities of the problems and the challenges of measurement (think about how much “evidence” is generated in nutrition from people recalling what they eat), the political need for clear conclusions and recommendations, combined with the academic need for findings to be published in scholarly journals that want positive findings, means that public health messages are often scientifically weaker than they sound. And, as Nature noted in its editorial,

The problem with simple messages and black-and-white statements is that they tend to be absolutes and so the easiest to falsify… It is easy to see why those who spend their lives trying to promote the health of others gnash their teeth when they see complex findings whittled down to a sharp point and used to puncture their message. It is more difficult, from a scientific perspective, to agree that these findings should not be published and discussed openly, warts and all, purely because they blend uncertainty into a simple mantra. Make things as simple as possible, Einstein said, but no simpler. And simple, black-and-white messages can cause confusion of their own. All things in moderation — and that should include the language we use.

Science is complex, and Willett’s message to his fellow scientists appears to be that the public can’t be trusted with this complexity (except, as noted, when it might be something that he thinks is worthy of research); the question, which the public might ask in turn, is whether Willett can be trusted with complexity given his apparent intolerance for it in other scientists?

Options for keeping the food system within environmental limits

Article | Published: 10 October 2018

Abstract

The food system is a major driver of climate change, changes in land use, depletion of freshwater resources, and pollution of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems through excessive nitrogen and phosphorus inputs. Here we show that between 2010 and 2050, as a result of expected changes in population and income levels, the environmental effects of the food system could increase by 50–90% in the absence of technological changes and dedicated mitigation measures, reaching levels that are beyond the planetary boundaries that define a safe operating space for humanity. We analyse several options for reducing the environmental effects of the food system, including dietary changes towards healthier, more plant-based diets, improvements in technologies and management, and reductions in food loss and waste. We find that no single measure is enough to keep these effects within all planetary boundaries simultaneously, and that a synergistic combination of measures will be needed to sufficiently mitigate the projected increase in environmental pressures.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/GrassBased/status/1051216814955364352

Peter Ballerstedt
‏@GrassBased
Follow Follow @GrassBased
More
A good time to read @zoeharcombe's review of the DGAC evidence re; red meat:
"found nothing against red meat for 1) Cardiovascular disease 2) Blood pressure 3) Type 2 diabetes 4) Body Weight 5) Colorectal cancer 6) Prostate cancer and 7) Breast cancer." -https://goo.gl/H1X2RC

DparXBBUcAAOj_u.jpg

2:03 PM - 13 Oct 2018

Dave
‏@Dave06031956
17h17 hours ago
More
Replying to @GrassBased @zoeharcombe
Excellent proofs fir those against REAL GRASS FED RED MEAT.. See what’s written? REAL GRASS FED...... Processed, Pre-Packed and Preserved junks full of chemically enhanced additives added to grains fed, caged animals are causing diseases.. Grow up people..

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/117021266-post168.html

Gary Fettke
‏@FructoseNo
Follow Follow @FructoseNo
More
Likely to have been meat eaters for 2.6 million years according to 'hunting goats' on cave drawings.

YPwXrxyZ

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6268983/Cave-drawings-dating-early-Stone-Age-discovered-fishermen-Turkey.html

Cave drawings dating back to the early Stone Age including scenes of hunters chasing prey have been discovered by fishermen in Turkey after water from a dam was drained

-The unexpected find came after local waters decreased by roughly 10-15 meters
-Impressively, the dam did 'very little' damage to the exposed ancient drawings
-Made with etching method, experts believe they could pre-date Paleolithic era

12:58 PM - 13 Oct 2018

Frédéric Leroy
‏@fleroy1974
9h9 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
but behavioural modernity (e.a., artistic expression) is only about 50,000 y old, as far as everything else is indicating. 2.6 mya seems veeeery suspicious, how did they estimate that?
DpbSDPEW0AstW2N.jpg

50 Fitty
‏@50Fitty
9h9 hours ago
More
But you never see rock carvings of Tofurky.

Amanda ZZ©
‏@AmandaZZ100
13h13 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
I guess its going to take us a while to adapt back to only eating plants. Seems unliely that will happen within the WHO crisis timescale !

Karen Foreman-Brown
‏@serenity22
12h12 hours ago
More
Not going to happen in this household at least! Been down that road for enough of my life. Carnivore now.

Amanda ZZ©
‏@AmandaZZ100
8h8 hours ago
More
I must admit it the world is truly going to try to retrace its footsteps by 2 million years I am rather glad I am already getting on a bit. Darwin would be spinning in his grave.

Rossi
‏@RealRossi
9h9 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
doesn't look like goats to me, more like kale...

NicolasKokel
‏@NicolasKokel
5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
Not to debunk theory but 2.6 millions of years for these carvings is a bit of an overstretch to say the least.

Maria Martinez
‏@nmlinguaphile
9h9 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
No question about it.

Dave
‏@Dave06031956
19m19 minutes ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
They would have been a lot smarter than many of us fir sure... Fresh meat please...

NicolasKokel
‏@NicolasKokel
5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
Bow invention maybe 10,000 years.

NicolasKokel
‏@NicolasKokel
5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @FructoseNo
A man with a horse, 3,000 years ago. …
https://relay-nationalgeographic-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/2018/05/horse-domestication-dna-indo-european-science?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=Source%C2%A0%3A%20%251%24s[

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/BridgetteAllan/status/1051400840127438849

Marika Sboros
‏@MarikaSboros
7h7 hours ago
More Marika Sboros Retweeted NutritionalSolutions
Is #breakfast really king and your mother 'right'? And what are best foods for breakfast? Here's what @DietitanClaire and her business partners advise. Interested to hear from other dietitians. @DietitianZet @lchfRD @BridgetteAllan @meganjramos Marika Sboros added,

NutritionalSolutions
@NSDietitiansSA
Your mother is right: #breakfast is the most important meal of the day 🍳☕🍉🍏🍽 Did you know that 1 in 5 SA children skip breakfast? #StartWithBreakfast #nationalnutritionweek

DpR2hpDUYAE75dR.jpg

Bridgette Allan
‏@BridgetteAllan
Follow Follow @BridgetteAllan
More
Replying to @MarikaSboros @DietitianZet and 2 others
Breakfast means exactly that-BREAK FAST. Doesn’t matter what time of day as long as the meal is nutrient dense. Animal based protein and healthy fats are optimal. Leave out the processed junk carb it will make you hungry and fat. Eat for hunger , not habit.

2:14 AM - 14 Oct 2018

Joy Y. KIDDIE MSc, RD
‏@lchfRD
8h8 hours ago
More
Replying to @MarikaSboros @DietitianZet and 2 others
The first meal of the day is important and so is the reason for eating it, and what is eaten. Whether that first meal of the day is at noon, mid or late afternoon or in the morning, it should be eaten if hungry and aim to supply a good source of high quality protein.

liquidh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe that you can break fast at any time of the day. Doesn’t have to be morning.

And you won’t overeat if you eat only once a day. Or limit your eating hours to 4 hours.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/superthing/status/1051501431654633473

Tim Noakes
‏@ProfTimNoakes
2h2 hours ago
More Tim Noakes Retweeted Wab Mester
That's the exact paper. Yet local medical students I spoke to last week continue to be taught that hypertriglyceridaemia and NAFLD are caused by high fat diets. Never taught that ingested fat goes directly to adipose tissue, not to the liver. Tim Noakes added,

Wab Mester
@wabmester
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC292926/ …https://twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes/status/1051492112481566720 …

Tim Noakes
@ProfTimNoakes
Certainly not a new idea http://bit.ly/2ROhaRh http://bit.ly/2A9ToZr This observation of Albrink inspired Gerald Reaven MD to determine why serum triglycerides are elevated in T2DM. This led ultimately to his discovery of Insulin Resistance and the Metabolic (Reaven) Syndrome https://twitter.com/upyrbike/status/1051396798261207040

8:23 AM - 14 Oct 2018

Maria Martinez
‏@nmlinguaphile
40m40 minutes ago
More
Replying to @ProfTimNoakes
My triglycerides were 250. I started LCHF in February 2018. Now my triglycerides are 59. Cholesterol down fro 220 to 190. HDL up from 40 to 69. I’ve even converted my doctor who was originally against it.

Wallies Van Niekerk
‏@waldovn96
1h1 hour ago
More
I can vouch for that. They don't teach us that, although it could be proven otherwise by just reading up on the subject in a physiology textbook

Mike Browne
‏@superthing
2h2 hours ago
More
My GP put me on Ramipril tablets because she was concerned about how my diet (keto) might affect my liver. So she's going from outdated advice?

Tim Noakes
‏@ProfTimNoakes
Following Following @ProfTimNoakes
More Tim Noakes Retweeted Charlie Winkle
Chatting with Physician from my former academic institution. She asked students: "So what are you being taught about nutrition (following the Noakes' trial)?".
Student response: "They don't seem to know what to teach us anymore".
Guess that is some progress.

norman m canter NYC
‏@normancanter
3h3 hours ago
More
Conventional medicine has to deal with an explosion in knowledge-pharmacology, genetics, psychiatry,& numerous diseases obscure&common. Nutrition &/or vitamins have always been neglected. That subject can be covered with a few hours of reading of Merck Manual. Few Drs. do that.

maddie hayes
‏@Airemaddie
3h3 hours ago
More
In other words, despite academic load, busy students now get to do outside reading as well to educate themselves-

Bronwen Holding
‏@DrBronH
3h3 hours ago
More
My 75 yr old diabetic/IHD Dad who has a very well thumbed copy of Lore of Running on his bookshelf, tells anyone who will listen..that he ran into you in CT a few yrs back, and told u that he had informed his Cardiologist that "it's not about the fat..it's all about the sugar!"

Lars Sundström
‏@sundstrom_lars
2h2 hours ago
More
Can you please ask him to call my father. Dt2 and, also, got the autoimmune disorder called stubbornness :)

https://twitter.com/KetoDocCLT/status/1051507522094403585

Dr. Jay Wrigley
‏@KetoDocCLT
23h23 hours ago
More
Spent the day doing remote consults with individuals in 3 different countries who want to get hormonally balanced and lean. I love my job ! #grateful #blessed #health #keto #LCHP #weightloss #hormones #menopause #perimenopause

DpaMR1sX4AAPOFA.jpg

SaveTheKeys
‏@SheTypesAlot
16h16 hours ago
More
Wait, what? Do these hashtags imply LCHF helps w/menopause stages? Is there somewhere I can read more about this?

Dr. Jay Wrigley
‏@KetoDocCLT
Follow Follow @KetoDocCLT
More
Replying to @SheTypesAlot @ProfTimNoakes
LCHF absolutely helps menopause. It's what I spend all day everyday helping women with. High Fat/Cholesterol foods provide the building blocks for repletion of declining hormones.

9:18 AM - 14 Oct 2018

KPC : Yes can attest to that with mom's recent improvement in mood/dementia
Also collagen-dosing helps too !

Truth will be told
‏@ianrobo1
Follow Follow @ianrobo1
More Truth will be told Retweeted Chris B
yet another anecdote @ProfTimNoakes

Chris B
‏@barneschris3
Follow Follow @barneschris3
More
Finally put to bed my marathon nightmares of the past changed my diet to low carb , and got a plan written for me ✅ ohhh and put a bit of effort in PB in the bag ,, all ready for @nycmarathon #ukrunchat #YorkshireMarathon #marathontraining

DpeoErDWkAUtANF.jpg

DpeoEq9XgAMLhE9.jpg

8:24 AM - 14 Oct 2018

Carsten Møgelvang
‏@antontheweenie
30m30 minutes ago
More
Replying to @barneschris3 @nycmarathon and 6 others
Hard work paying offWell done on that PB

Chris B
‏@barneschris3
52m52 minutes ago
More
Replying to @ianrobo1 @ProfTimNoakes
Oh it’s all down to @ProfTimNoakes

Dpe80aFW4AAl3GD.jpg

Truth will be told
‏@ianrobo1
48m48 minutes ago
More
great stuff, I started my journey with the art and science books of course !

Michael_J_Koss
‏@Michael_J_Koss
Oct 12
More Michael_J_Koss Retweeted Tim Noakes
Destroying an idea by demonizing an opponent is a blood sport. Celebrating a trolls activity because it advances an opinion is the same beast that can turn on anyone, at any time.

“The mob rushes in where individuals fear to tread.”
― B.F. Skinner
Michael_J_Koss added,

Tim Noakes
@ProfTimNoakes
Yes it is fake news. It's part of the profiling approach to debate. If you can profile someone as immoral or unbalanced in some way, then surely no one can trust that person's opinions. So we can ignore the science.
"In the court of morality, there are no rules of procedure". …

Michael_J_Koss
@Michael_J_Koss
Follow Follow @Michael_J_Koss
More
Replying to @ziggibson @ProfTimNoakes
I was referring to things like this...condemn or vilify someone you disagree with. Isolate them in order to avoid confronting an idea.

History is loaded with scientists mocked, scorned, and disgraced because their research threatened the status quo.

https://t.co/jOcStTKeVo

Ian Lake
‏@ click on
Follow Follow @idlake
More Ian Lake Retweeted vauthier jc
Carbs for extreme prolonged physical activity? Not for JC Vauthier. Nor many other T1.

vauthier jc
‏@JcVauthier
Follow Follow @JcVauthier
More vauthier jc Retweeted Type 1 Running Team
I will try to show (with my friends) that one can do everything with diabetes, and even without carbs!
meet on Thursday night for the "crazy diagonal" (la diagonale des fous- île de la Réunion) 165 km + 10 000 m @drtroystapleton @idlake @ProfTimNoakes @TypeOneGrit
vauthier jc added,

Type 1 Running Team
@T1_RunningTeam
Jean Charles, médecin et spécialiste du régime LCHF (low carb high fat) partira avec le dossard N°339.
Il a notamment terminé la PTL (La Petite Trotte à Léon) avec ses 300 km / 25 000 D+…

type1runningteam Jean Charles, doctor and specialist LCHF diet (low carb high fat) will leave with the bib No. 339.
In particular, he completed the PTL (La Trotte à Léon) with his 300 km / 25 000 D + in 2017 and loves big pieces. The @grandraidreunionis made for him!

9:14 AM - 13 Oct 2018

offernandes
@desenviron
10h10 hours ago
More
Replying to @idlake @ProfTimNoakes
the great Otto Thaning became the oldest man at 73 to swim the english channel on strict LCHF. Is that real human or anecdotal evidence?

Tim Noakes
‏@ProfTimNoakes
4h4 hours ago
More
Dr Thaning is a cardiac surgeon.Was quite adamant that LCHF diet was crucial component of his success. Which does not mean that it was why he was successful. But that without it, he might not have adapted as well to training, or completed the final hours of the swim successfully.

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/drjamesdinic/status/1051793525409546240

James DiNicolantonio
@drjamesdinic
Follow Follow @drjamesdinic
More
Saturated fat actually has some really important functions in the body.

Dpi4onjW4AAW6UF.jpg

Jay Bart Simmons
‏@SimmonsBart
8h8 hours ago
More
Replying to @drjamesdinic @MarikaSboros
By reducing Saturated Fats in our diet......we lose, Big Pharma wins. I like winning.

Sam Mackrill #FBPE #PeoplesVote
‏@SamMackrill
3h3 hours ago
More
Replying to @drjamesdinic
Bonus: It also makes food taste amazing.

Otavio Neto
‏@neto619nutri
8h8 hours ago
More
So, we can to say they are essential fats?

Lukegarten
‏@lukegarten
5h5 hours ago
More
No because your body can make it. Vital for health, yes.

Chris Paul
‏@cp_elevated
2h2 hours ago
More
Where's your source for the kidney claim?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2937589/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24249210

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DqRpVBrXcAAYFfj

https://twitter.com/DrKristieLeong/status/1055084024690102273?s=20

Kristie Leong M.D.@DrKristieLeong
Oct 24

A sobering statistic: 1 in 2 women & 1 in 3 men will develop either #dementia, Parkinsons’s disease, or #stroke at some point in their life. #Brainhealth matters! (link: https://buff.ly/2NP05Uf) buff.ly/2NP05Uf #healthandsafety

ack-em-up-with-an-atchet arrrry
‏I dont see vegetable/seed oils on that list

Kristie Leong M.D.
‏Yes, that’s one I neglected to add. Good point!

P M MYERS
‏Dementia high probability due to a Slow Virus.

Kristie Leong M.D.
‏New evidence that it may be the herpes simplex virus. https://www.google.com/search?q=medscape+alzheimers+herpes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Solar ©atamaran
If you, instead of plants in item 6, increase lot of meat, you don't need item 7.

Kristie Leong M.D.
Not everyone eats meat. Some avoid it for ethical reasons.

Solar ©atamaran
Sure, freedom of choise.

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzwarr6Dgpw

KetoCon 2018 Amy Berger Alzheimer’s Disease Type 3 Diabetes and Keto LCHF as an Intervention

Dustyluvs Keto
2 months ago
Unfortunately by the first signs of dementia show up its too late. And to get an aged person to go off carbs or even reduce them is almost impossible on top of that. I've confronted several families with the facts and they won't even try to help their suffering family members with a keto plan.
It's just like the 600 pound woman that can't get out of bed to get food. She can't eat so she should lose weight right? Nope... her family keeps shoving the food in her. They don't give a crap about anyone else's health. Even if you educate them they think withholding carbohydrates is mean. It's sickening.
Maybe one day people will get it and get on board. Carbs kill. Sugar is not your friend.
To me a birthday cake is they way to tell someone you hate them and want them to die....why? Because I know what sugar does to a body by experience. Thank God I woke up in time.

Rachel Ou
2 months ago
This is amazing. I've been keto for a while and I have to say I've never felt better. It took me months (and I'm not 100% healthy yet) to address damage vegan diet did to my guts, brain and EYES (!).
My uncle was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and died within 2 years of diagnosis. He wanted to kill his wife 2 weeks before he died, because he didn't know who she was. My aunt (his sister) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago. She functions pretty well, but I manage her diet and supplements. Both my uncle and aunt are my father's siblings. My father suffers from many autoimmune conditions and SO DO I. I'm 42 and pretty aware of what causes all of these autoimmune diseases beacuse although they manifest differently and are named accordingly, stem from 1 source. And that source is sugar and all the foods that spike your insuline sky high. I am so happy there are more and more doctors spreading the right information and doing it with passion. I live in Poland and can sense the vegan hurricane comming (we're at least 5 years behind I'm affraid). Poland has to deal with this terrible trend yet. I'm greateful to be able to read medical literature in English otherwise I'd have to count on what our dieticians propose and that's a recipe for disaster. Keto is the way!

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very important video - no such thing as Keto Macros esp Healthy Fats as so many ppl are scared off LCHF due to the misconception that HF=HIGH Fats when LCHF=Low Carb HEALTHY Fat instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KI5PszYdHo[/CODE]

KetOMAD
3 days ago
Great point about putting the emphasis on eliminating carbs instead of ingesting obscene quantities of fat, Amy. Also, you might find it interesting that in my feed, the video YT has selected to follow yours is Michael Greger explaining the dangers of a low-carb diet. It sure makes for a fun contrast.

Peter Schmitt
23 hours ago
Another good point against the classical macros are carnivores in high ketosis, even with large amounts of protein.

keto cycler
1 day ago
The original ketogenic diet macros were designed with children in mind who needed to GAIN weight because they were still growing. It would be silly to think identical ratios would be the same as an obese adult needs to burn fat and get smaller.

Need to include Ted's Ketosis Diagram when found

In the meantime - for sheer simplicity

image2@2x.PNG

image3@2x.JPG

image4@2x.JPG

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FCS pledge my support in kaypohchee!!!!!!!

Below is me! I also in favor of diets controls!!!! Like yours!

https://m.imgur.com/NofwhkX[/ IMG]

Gkhchay, Bear both are fools![/QUOTE]

Different strokes for different folks

Whatever floats their boat ...

freedom of choice etc etc etc etc :D

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe that you can break fast at any time of the day. Doesn’t have to be morning.

And you won’t overeat if you eat only once a day. Or limit your eating hours to 4 hours.

I agree !

Today Sun 28 Oct was almost like an OMAD=One Meal A Day for me

I only broke my IF after 4.30 pm with my very very late lunch of 2 Tenderfresh chicken wings (mom had another long extended stay with her HC lunch due to the heavy rain today)
Ended up my Total Food intake also not that heavy as only had 2 meals - late lunch plus dinner
AGwjdDo.jpg

LC Dinner with Pork Rib Carrot Corn Soup + 2nd Serving of my Beef Chili Con Carne with 3 different beans n LOTS of spices n herbs black olives golden raisins ACV ...NO rice for me as usual
BLoiapL.jpg

After dinner shared platter of remaining Rock Melon n 2nd Serving of the Pomelo n Passion fruit collagen-rich Coral Seaweed Jellies
q3SszJg.jpg

Doubt got 1800 calories there not that I count calories at all - only count carbs n most likely there are only <50 g carbs with the fruit n hidden sugars

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.