Correct way to uninstall old graphics drivers? Keeps reinstalling automatically

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, probably a user problem.

Still n00b with Windows 10 ... what is the right way to uninstall old graphics card drivers before installing new ones?

My old driver keeps reinstalling itself before I can install the new driver. I used this DDU, if it means anything.

Appreciate if anyone can advise.

-Grift-

Reaction score
Sorry, probably a user problem.

Still n00b with Windows 10 ... what is the right way to uninstall old graphics card drivers before installing new ones?

My old driver keeps reinstalling itself before I can install the new driver. I used this DDU, if it means anything.

Appreciate if anyone can advise.
There should be an option to disable driver auto install within DDU. Not sure if you must enable the safemode removal option inside settings to show this.

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You remove the old graphics card?
Here's what I tried so far ...

1. Go to Control Panel, uninstall 3D Vision, HD Audio Driver, reboot, then nVidia Graphics driver ... moments after, it reinstalls itself.

2. Restart into Safe Mode, use DDU, reboot ... no driver when Windows loads up, but shortly after clicking on the new driver file to start installing, the old driver reinstalls itself.

How do I stop the old driver from reinstalling itself?

Edit : No, same card, never took it out.

Last edited:

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you try doing all of the steps without internet connection?
Yah, simplest solution, When I'd swapped my 2x R9 290X for the RTX 2080 Ti, I downloaded the latest nVidia driver, ran DDU to uninstall everything AMD. Powered off, removed the AMD cards, and plugged in the RTX card. I unplug my ethernet cable before powering on, if I didn't, Windows would simply download some old driver before I could install the new driver. Run the new driver install, and restart when prompted, and it should be good as gold. I did this with my HTPC rig as well, swapped a HD7970 for a GTX1080, no problemo....

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you try doing all of the steps without internet connection?
Apparently this was the problem :s8: Took off the ethernet cable and everything worked the way it’s supposed to.

And in the DDU’s ReadMe it’s mentioned in the very last line :o

Funny though ... cannot be that it’s downloading and reinstalling from the Internet? There’s no way it can be that fast? And my old driver is 3 or 4 versions back, if auto download will keep on download 3 to 4 versions old driver? :s22:

jonnyboy91

Reaction score
Apparently this was the problem :s8: Took off the ethernet cable and everything worked the way it’s supposed to.

And in the DDU’s ReadMe it’s mentioned in the very last line :o

Funny though ... cannot be that it’s downloading and reinstalling from the Internet? There’s no way it can be that fast? And my old driver is 3 or 4 versions back, if auto download will keep on download 3 to 4 versions old driver? :s22:

When there's internet connection, windows update will always download and install drivers it detected. All this are done silently in the background which explains why it is fast.

Downside is windows update will never download the latest drivers, probably only the last known stable ones. That's why it is always recommended to download the latest from respective motherboard/graphics card manufacturer website.

Last edited:

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Follow my solution

1. Disconnect your internet (important), do not enable it until u install the driver u want.
2. Go to device manager, choose your GTX 1080 and then click uninstall. Also check delete driver for this device. (important)
3. Boot to safe mode and use DDU to uninstall and reboot.
4. Upon reboot, your system should not install any drivers since it is disconnected from internet and system don't have driver for it.
5. Install the preferred version of driver you downloaded.
6. Good luck

Did this yesterday as i was having issues with latest drivers also, faced the same problem and this resolved for me. See how i do a 2 step uninstall? This is to make sure the driver is erased from your system and OS doesn't search for driver online.

Last edited:

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try this.

Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Advanced System Settings > Hardware tab. Click on Device Installation Settings and choose ‘No (your device might not work as expected)’

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Disable any network adapter.
Or enable airplane mode.
So you can install the driver without
MS update installing it.

osh6

Reaction score
If you are using DDU to clean up your driver leftover, under DDU option, at the bottom, there is an option to disable window update from installing hardware driver, just check it and window will not auto update driver.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i never had such issue, i did not even boot into safe mode. Everytime i just chose 'clean and restart'. Never need to unplug lan cable...very surprised to hear about this issue.

Edit: indeed, mine is checked maybe that's why no such issue. "under DDU option, at the bottom, there is an option to disable window update from installing hardware driver, just check it and window will not auto update driver.''

Last edited:

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Same graphic card mean you just want to update your driver? Just install the latest driver.

Else, remove internet cable.

Skyline34_

Master Member
Reaction score
pardon my noob qn - i'm gonna swap out my R9 Nano for a Vega Nano, i presume there's actually no need to uninstall my existing drivers right ? I did a quick check, both vega and the r9 nano are sharing the same 18.10.1 latest driver (which i've alrdy updated to)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.