Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

FD Trinitron

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros, I need help and advice:

My free DTV Starter kit started to have issue, on Channel 8 (my dad only watched this channel) the picture keep freezing and paused, sound also muted at the same time, wonder if the box is faulty or the antenna is weak? need to buy a digital antenna with signal booster? This TV is at the living room and the antenna is at the wall 1m+ to the door. My another room TV using dvb t2 tv receiver bought from qoo10 doesn't have this issue, that makes me think shouldn't be signal weak issue?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi bros, I need help and advice:

My free DTV Starter kit started to have issue, on Channel 8 (my dad only watched this channel) the picture keep freezing and paused, sound also muted at the same time, wonder if the box is faulty or the antenna is weak? need to buy a digital antenna with signal booster? This TV is at the living room and the antenna is at the wall 1m+ to the door. My another room TV using dvb t2 tv receiver bought from qoo10 doesn't have this issue, that makes me think shouldn't be signal weak issue?

Why don't u do some troubleshooting then? Bring your room's DVB-T2 receiver to the living room and test the antenna? If reception is ok, then perhaps is the receiver box problem.

FD Trinitron

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why don't u do some troubleshooting then? Bring your room's DVB-T2 receiver to the living room and test the antenna? If reception is ok, then perhaps is the receiver box problem.

Thx for the suggestion, as my new TV will be delivering tmr, will try on the TV's built-in tuner first. I nearly wanted to order the antenna booster from qoo10 but feedback from customers the seller takes weeks to deliver. :eek:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thx for the suggestion, as my new TV will be delivering tmr, will try on the TV's built-in tuner first. I nearly wanted to order the antenna booster from qoo10 but feedback from customers the seller takes weeks to deliver. :eek:

I suggest u not buy anything yet.

Since your room's STB (set top box) and antenna are working fine, use them to test the stuff in your living room.

Bring your living room's STB to your room to test the STB with the working antenna.

Bring your room's working STB to the living room to test the antenna.

FD Trinitron

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suggest u not buy anything yet.

Since your room's STB (set top box) and antenna are working fine, use them to test the stuff in your living room.

Bring your living room's STB to your room to test the STB with the working antenna.

Bring your room's working STB to the living room to test the antenna.

Thanks for your suggestion, I have thought of that but I found it quite hard to remove the living room's antenna from the wall, worry the paint may comes out when force removal. During the installation i didn't see, wonder if it's using double sided foam tape?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, I have thought of that but I found it quite hard to remove the living room's antenna from the wall, worry the paint may comes out when force removal. During the installation i didn't see, wonder if it's using double sided foam tape?

Where did I say about removing your living room's antenna? Just leave it alone and let the STBs do the moving.

simwb90

Reaction score
Hi all,

Want to check if anyone has a similar experience.

I got the free DVB box in Sep 18. It is the NewMedia Solutions box provided by M1 and IMDA.

Initially it was working for a couple of days. It then started to fail to boot up (we turn off the box together with the TV). It would get stuck at the boot screen, showing NewMedia's splash screen. Now it does not even boot. The system is powered on as the LED is lit green.

For display, we wired it up to an old CRT TV (yes I still have one of those) via the AV cables as my father is not familiar with operating the newer TV.

I doubt this is the cause so something must have gone wrong in the box itself.

Calling the hotline at 6655 5571 is useless. The engineer was supposed to call me back but I waited the entire day and did not receive a callback.

I do not have cable TV or Internet TV subscription as my parents rarely watch them.

tl;dr this is what I want to ask

1. Anyone face the same issue with the NewMedia Solutions box failing to boot? If so, what did you do?
2. Now that I've already claimed the free box, I suppose I have to cough up my own cash to buy a new one if the free box can't be fixed?

Thank you

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Want to check if anyone has a similar experience.

I got the free DVB box in Sep 18. It is the NewMedia Solutions box provided by M1 and IMDA.

Initially it was working for a couple of days. It then started to fail to boot up (we turn off the box together with the TV). It would get stuck at the boot screen, showing NewMedia's splash screen. Now it does not even boot. The system is powered on as the LED is lit green.

For display, we wired it up to an old CRT TV (yes I still have one of those) via the AV cables as my father is not familiar with operating the newer TV.

I doubt this is the cause so something must have gone wrong in the box itself.

Calling the hotline at 6655 5571 is useless. The engineer was supposed to call me back but I waited the entire day and did not receive a callback.

I do not have cable TV or Internet TV subscription as my parents rarely watch them.

tl;dr this is what I want to ask

1. Anyone face the same issue with the NewMedia Solutions box failing to boot? If so, what did you do?
2. Now that I've already claimed the free box, I suppose I have to cough up my own cash to buy a new one if the free box can't be fixed?

Thank you

send for warranty claim.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll try and contact the company...there is no receipt so not sure if they will honour the warranty, if any

Already enquire, receipt not require, NMS has your record.

NMS email said:
Thanks very much for writing to us! No worries, the Starter Kit you have received comes with 1 year warranty and we have your records and it is not necessary to register for warranty.

If you encounter any issues, please feel free to call M1 Hotline dedicated to support the Starter Kit programme at 6655-5571.

Last edited:

sporeknight76

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you albert
I've sent them an email to see how to follow up on this.

Try to c if the box has any reset button. My singtel wifi router v occassionally hang when switch on. So there is a little reset button. Reset it n it works.

If tis cant help, send yr box to the nms svc centre. Ask m1 wat is it s they shld knw as we can collect the box direct from m1. Don drag liao s any issue try to resolve asap.

sporeknight76

Master Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who as long as someone is doing the job. But if M1 service is not up to par then IMDA has to step in.

Rem tat time those contractor came to all home to setup the optic fibre from OpenNet. Some areas is delayed n i think i read somewher they gt fine.

Lik u said, doesnt matter who do the job. The contractors who supply the boxes or do the follow-up jobs, hav to do a good one. They tender for this digitaltv project.

simwb90

Reaction score
If they don't reply, resend and cc a copy to IMDA, seem like M1 support in this area is lacking.

i have them on separate mails. will combine them if NMS is not forthcoming on this.

Try to c if the box has any reset button. My singtel wifi router v occassionally hang when switch on. So there is a little reset button. Reset it n it works.

If tis cant help, send yr box to the nms svc centre. Ask m1 wat is it s they shld knw as we can collect the box direct from m1. Don drag liao s any issue try to resolve asap.

yeah...just waiting till end of this week to see if NMS reply. I've actually already sent an email to IMDA prior to sending to NMS.
It just sucks if i have to bring the box down to the svc centre cux it wastes time. Ubi is ulu as heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.