Best Laptops For 3D Rendering + Modeling

untitledblanks

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I am an industrial designer looking for recommendations on laptops that are good enough for the following:

- heavy 3D rendering (ranging from furniture to pop up booth etc.)
- 3D modeling (I use Rhinoceros 5.0 and Keyshot 7.0)
- Photoshop and illustrator

I am concern about the speed of the laptop as I need it to be fast enough for a good render (say 20-30mins?), the graphics (occasional heavy photoshop work) and price should ideally be at most $2000 but I am okay with it being slightly above.

I am currently looking at ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD and Dell Precision M5510 but I am not sure if they are good enough for my requirements. Please let me know if u guys have any suggestions. Thank you! :)

dryteletubby

Reaction score
What are the system requirements required for you task?

You can see benchmarks posted online to see if a certain specification will be sufficient.

I have a friend that bought a old refurbished workstation with 16 core CPU, 256 GB of ram to use for video editing Via chrome remote desktop from his laptop. Spent under 2K for both the laptop and workstation

narkizy

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I am an industrial designer looking for recommendations on laptops that are good enough for the following:

I am concern about the speed of the laptop as I need it to be fast enough for a good render (say 20-30mins?), the graphics (occasional heavy photoshop work) and price should ideally be at most $2000 but I am okay with it being slightly above.

I am currently looking at ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD and Dell Precision M5510 but I am not sure if they are good enough for my requirements. Please let me know if u guys have any suggestions. Thank you! :)

3D rendering is very CPU intensive ie. more cores = better render times. Photoshop will work better with a decent GPU but also utilises alot of CPU.
Both in a laptop package would mean a 6-core i7 8750H CPU and a 1050 at least. 1050ti/1060 would be optimal.

ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD has a 7700HQ quadcore and 1050. It'll be enough, but go for 6-core 8th Gen for much better 3d Rendering and Photoshop performance.

For 2k SGD basically any gaming laptop with a i7 8750H CPU and a 1050-1060 GPU is enough. Dell G7, Lenovo Y530 or Y730 or Aftershock Mx15 is good.

If you want the best quality it'd be the y730 or Dell G7.

Last edited:

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent discussion. Do dabble a fair bit in simulation softwares and renderings. Apart from the aforementioned recommendations by forumers, I would suggest that you add proper cooling to the equation of requirements.

Slim laptops will thermal throttle - which gets worse as the laptop ages due to degradation of the thermal paste.

Now the trade of for this is > fans = bigger size = heavier weight.

Edit: Ram requirements min. 16gb for your suited needs.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Basically, you'll need to look at gaming machines. If you have the budget, top end ones with many cores and huge amount of RAM.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically, you'll need to look at gaming machines. If you have the budget, top end ones with many cores and huge amount of RAM.

Got budget restriction: Look at gaming machines (ie GTX gpu)

No budget restriction: Look at workstation machines (ie Quadro ISV certified gpu)

WhyPayMore

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get the Acer Predator Helios. Big screen (17") good for designer. And huge processing power.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

narkizy

Reaction score
Got budget restriction: Look at gaming machines (ie GTX gpu)

No budget restriction: Look at workstation machines (ie Quadro ISV certified gpu)

Technically workstation machines are pretty expensive too(unless you dont consider Lenovo)

Mystech

Reaction score
On rhino 4, using a after shock 17 inch for the screen. Running 1060, pretty ok.

Sent from Travelling with a mad man with a blue box using GAGT

jyajin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been reading up on and watching videos of gaming laptops
Seems like no one really know how to solve the heating and cooling issues sioh, next year onwards will be damn jialat unless a breakthrough somewhere occur somehow

jyajin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay I found the ultimate machine liao

edit: oh 3k sgd lol

Last edited:

narkizy

Reaction score
Okay I found the ultimate machine liao

edit: oh 3k sgd lol

3k SGD is actually is very good price for the hardware u get. A 8 core cpu that beats the i9, and a dGPU thats similar to the 1070. A i7 with 1070 laptop is priced at the same pricepoint too. Pretty good pricing by acer. If TS is looking for the best portable laptop to do 3d modelling, this is it.

Last edited:

jyajin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3k SGD is actually is very good price for the hardware u get. A 8 core cpu that beats the i9, and a dGPU thats similar to the 1070. A i7 with 1070 laptop is priced at the same pricepoint too. Pretty good pricing by acer. If TS is looking for the best portable laptop to do 3d modelling, this is it.

The only other 8 core I can find is the Asus rog strix gl702zc
Which is currently at around 2.5k SGD but comes with a few caveats so I guess really don't have much choice ba

narkizy

Reaction score
The only other 8 core I can find is the Asus rog strix gl702zc
Which is currently at around 2.5k SGD but comes with a few caveats so I guess really don't have much choice ba

This would be the 1060(equivalent) version with a older gen 1700. But yeah for some reason intel seems to dominate the laptop market completely. And that too is a very good price for a laptop of that power, damn.

8 cores and a 1060 GPU in a laptop for that price of 2.5k is damn worth

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.