(Official Tengah NOV 2018 BTO Thread) Consolidate all research here!

kingboonz

Reaction score
Should be in a month time.. Maybe we will get more news then. I m v cautious regarding car free town. How they implement it when only a section of tengah is build.. Hmmm

I am thinking the car free part is just the center of the town, near the tengah mrt. But who knows...

@Bill@710

Reaction score
I am thinking the car free part is just the center of the town, near the tengah mrt. But who knows...

Yeah for now everyone guess is a possibility.. It is a myth.. However it will definitely affect residents of future tengah.. Just wish we have more info to review for our future home.. After all this is one of the biggest investment in our life..

coolstardy

Reaction score
I’ve lived in Jurong West Extension for all my life; 22 years. Have seen the area develop from the time when there was very limited amenities, so I know roughly how the pioneer batch of Tengah residents would have to go through...

A little background info
1. I was born in 1996.
2. Jurong West sports complex only opened around December 2006. Before that, have to go to Jurong East sports complex or Bukit Batok swimming complex.
2b. My primary 4 sports day, in April 2006, before Jurong West stadium opened, was in Singapore Poly stadium, at Dover. Point is, imagine having to go to elsewhere for the amenities, as they are not yet available at Tengah.
3. Jurong West library was at Jurong Point level 4 before moving to the Frontier CC in 2006.
3b. Boon Lay Bus Interchange, Boon Lay MRT Extension (Pioneer & Joo Koon), plus Jurong Point Extension...
3c. Point: the central area of Jurong West Extension was a construction site for a period of time, from 2005 to 2009.

... the con of living in an entirely new town is there.

Sure, some road connections to PIE and Bukit Batok is there, and public bus connections to surrounding MRT station(s) at Bukit Batok, Jurong East, Chinese Garden, etcetera. will be available whenever the new flats are ready.

But the pioneer batch of Tengah residents have to be prepared to travel long distances to other towns for amenities, such as grocery shopping, sports complex, polyclinic, etcetera.

Nearest shopping centre is no doubt West Mall at Bukit Batok, and the more-renowned JEM and West Gate at Jurong East. There’s 160 to Jurong East, and several buses to Bukit Batok. Around 20 minutes ride. So, that’s the alternative.

Whereas people (eg. Jurong West residents) usually take around 10 minutes to travel to town centre to take MRT or buy things, the pioneer batch of Tengah residents have to take around 20 minutes to travel further to Bukit Batok or Jurong East to take MRT or buy things. This is the negative of being the pioneer batch of an entirely new town.

Also, about the construction site, it’s legit. Construction sites all over. For sure security will be in place to make sure the construction workers won’t disturb the residents. But the dust and noise confirm will be there.

Better to buy Punggol if you want new flat and set up family at the same time. Punggol is more family friendly. Tengah will take a while for it to be develop and be family friendly, whereby the infrastructure is there and services readily available to serve the community.

Community amenities may seem little to the adults. But to the children who spend most of their time in the neighbourhood, I don’t think it’s healthy for them to be in an under-construction town all the time, whereby everyday is just school and home... and confirm family time also have to travel out.

Of course, the pro is that because Tengah is an entirely new town, the price is at its lowest. But in my opinion, it’s good for long-term investment only, but not good for setting up family.

Setting up family would be better in Punggol. Of course Tengah as a new town would still be new by the time the pioneer batch of Tengah children become adults, like the people like me who were the first generation of “Jurong West Extension children”... but, considering there are other places that are more established, with amenities already available, like Punggol, Canberra, etcetera. Wouldn’t it be better to buy housing apartment over there, as compared to Tengah?

Just saying...

Your point is valid. That’s also the reason why HDB has to priced it low to make it attractive. It is targeted at those people who are desperately looking for place to stay.

Scylla

Reaction score
Your point is valid. That’s also the reason why HDB has to priced it low to make it attractive. It is targeted at those people who are desperately looking for place to stay.

i see a lot of potential in tengah... lets put it this way, its for people who can wait at least 5-10 years to start seeing it :)

hope this helps.

TheAlphaLion

Reaction score
i see a lot of potential in tengah... lets put it this way, its for people who can wait at least 5-10 years to start seeing it :)

hope this helps.

Can just see Punggol to see how things will work for Tengah. The first punggol flats built 15 years ago - till today still no hawker centre and no library there. Only a couple of years back then waterway point finally open.

For this tengah, have to wait till 2027 for the Plantation MRT to open. HDB better sell it around the same price or cheaper than the west Bukit Batok flats, otherwise other flats like the recent punggol coast or teck whye view (non-mature flats besides MRT) would be more worth it

@Bill@710

Reaction score

hope this helps.

Just my opinion.. Me being parent of teenagers.. I m thinking for my children future.. In 10 to 15 years time they will be in age to set up their own home. By then tengah will be build up.. And they can buy under near parent scheme.. It is just a parent thinking in advance.. Lol.. Don't frame me.

fotoudavid

Reaction score
For this tengah, have to wait till 2027 for the Plantation MRT to open. HDB better sell it around the same price or cheaper than the west Bukit Batok flats, otherwise other flats like the recent punggol coast or teck whye view (non-mature flats besides MRT) would be more worth it

It will be cheap as need to attract people to shift into new estate, also to made it look like a lot people want it so next few launch will be successful. Tengah cannot afford to fail.

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So much for "Forest Town".... they cut down all the trees :s22:

To this and Gixxerfied, not surprised they have to cut trees and re-grow the greenery considering how they are planning a grid like structure for Tengah. The planners look set to plant back a lot of the green, so I am not too concerned.

And truth be told, the whole place was army training ground and filled with secondary vegetation after its kampong past (Do you find the army training Lim Chu Kang forest very ecologically diverse HAHA). The ecosystem might even turn out better now there is proper planning for green corridors and tree-lined roads with native vegetation.

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should be in a month time.. Maybe we will get more news then. I m v cautious regarding car free town. How they implement it when only a section of tengah is build.. Hmmm

Seems only the garden town centre has roads underground (thus not really car free). I personally don't believe the planners dare to cut roads out totally. The rest of Tengah might have roads even wider than normal so they can safeguard lanes for their autonomous buses and active mobility things like bicycles and e-scooters.

Sorry for the spam, typing on mobile :)

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can just see Punggol to see how things will work for Tengah. The first punggol flats built 15 years ago - till today still no hawker centre and no library there. Only a couple of years back then waterway point finally open.

The comparisons to Punggol and early Jurong West extension I feel is not relevant to Tengah Plantation specifically - it is literally a part of Bukit Batok, separated by only one road. I consider it more like Tampines North, it is really part of an existing town but with its own town centre and own development plan and brand.

The fact that Garden won't be up for maybe a decade is a non-issue when you are a few bus stops away to established schools and hawker centres in Jurong East and Bukit Batok. It is not like Punggol where an old school neighbourhood centre and hawker centre are two hops and a skip away because Sengkang lacks the amenities found in older towns like JE and BB.

Those getting BTOs in the fringe of Yishun now probably will take longer to reach Khatib/Yishun Town Centre than Plantation to BB and even Jurong East. Those living in Canberra or (gasp) Bidadari will take the same amount of time to reach Yishun or Serangoon as those living in Tengah plantation to JE town centre, while BB will be even nearer.

LiteHouse

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hope this helps.

Sure, wait 10 years for it to be developed. On a similar tone, 10 years later mature estates like bishan, amk, Clementi, bouna vista, Holland village will be even MORE developed. This is a game of speed.

@Bill@710

Reaction score
Sure, wait 10 years for it to be developed. On a similar tone, 10 years later mature estates like bishan, amk, Clementi, bouna vista, Holland village will be even MORE developed. This is a game of speed.

After spending a few years in China.. Singapore wherever r consider v close in distance.. Anyway tengah will be potentially focus to be develop.. Those mature area will slow down.. Example toa payoh..nothing new so far.. Oh yeah no space too.. Lol

deskoh91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel popularity is more a game of distance. Overall tengah will always lose out in terms of distance than more mature areas and that is a fact. To live in Tengah means to be at peace with the time it will take to reach the east even after having JRL at the doorstep, which changes the concept of space like how NEL made faraway Punggol closer (not close) to town with a one line ride. Even places like Bidadari have little existing facilities, but are popular simply for its central location.

Last edited:

Scylla

Reaction score
I feel popularity is more a game of distance. Overall tengah will always lose out in terms of distance than more mature areas and that is a fact. To live in Tengah means to be at peace with the time it will take to reach the east even after having JRL at the doorstep, which changes the concept of space like how NEL made faraway Punggol closer (not close) to town with a one line ride. Even places like Bidadari have little existing facilities, but are popular simply for its central location.

tengah is close to jld and the much promoted second cbd. i am confident it will surely be better than punggol/yishun, etc, old/mature estates, just need time to find out :)

hope this helps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.