For a budget <$600

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pushing up my budget a bit...

looking at Panasonic fz1000 or an entry-level DSLR. maybe wait till Sitex and see what they can offer.

Seriously .... buying camera from expo?
It will just come with a bunch of uselesss freebies @ rrp$...

Go to shops like MSColor / Cathay .... it will be cheaper, can still bargain a bit.

andy1982

Reaction score
Seriously .... buying camera from expo?
It will just come with a bunch of uselesss freebies @ rrp$...

Go to shops like MSColor / Cathay .... it will be cheaper, can still bargain a bit.

yeah i am planning to give a few shops a call and see what they can offer, the issue with the FZ1000 is that it now comes with absolutely nothing at $999. am hoping expo will give something and charge $999, or even $1099 with battery & Bag and maybe SD card. so is a decent deal imo.

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah i am planning to give a few shops a call and see what they can offer, the issue with the FZ1000 is that it now comes with absolutely nothing at $999. am hoping expo will give something and charge $999, or even $1099 with battery & Bag and maybe SD card. so is a decent deal imo.

Usually shops can work out a bundle (camera, extra battery, memory card, bag, tripod etc) for less than SRP$ even when brand distributors do not have promo offer....

andy1982

Reaction score
Haven't buy yet?

nope... haven't seen anything good.

currently i am looking at the cannon 800D, come with their photo printer free. its decent i guess, i been looking at the HP mini printer. this one not so portable, but the print out looks nice.

Usually shops can work out a bundle (camera, extra battery, memory card, bag, tripod etc) for less than SRP$ even when brand distributors do not have promo offer....

icic.. ok will give a couple of shops a call later today. see if they got anything good to offer.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now Mate 20 Pro offers a very good value proposition of a very handy camera with high quality images. The AI will optimise the pictures for you as you take them.

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now Mate 20 Pro offers a very good value proposition of a very handy camera with high quality images. The AI will optimise the pictures for you as you take them.

Can get @ Budget of $600/- .... ?

That’s what the title of the thread is all about ....?

Anyway Mate 20 Pro is S$1348/-
I would rather get a Nokia 7+ ($400/-) and Insta360 One X ($698) = $1,100/- still got about $250/- change.... Cheaper option rite?

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score

firstly no way in hell the mate 20 pro can be bought for <$600 you're asking for a 50% discount on a new huawei flagship

secondly huawei's AI only oversaturates grass and sky its not a silver bullet or else huawei can go and license their ISP tech to canon and nikon already then put kirin NPU in all the Eos and DX/FX

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Do you trust a company whom was caught using dslr photos to pass as their mobile cam photos?

andy1982

Reaction score

Called all of the recommended shops that HWZers have shared....

the price is more or less the same.

the best price is:
SLR Revo, $20 cheaper. but only can pay by cash/nets

Most free stuff:
MS Color, extra Tripod (not sure the brand or quality)

most likely... I will end up just getting at Best/Courts... the same price, but less hassle of traveling to those shops.

unless... there is a chance when I am there I can bargain a bit loh. the alternative is also to wait till IT show lah. :s13:

Last edited:

sugaricing83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for a camera for my upcoming finland trip. Not willing to spend too much because i know it will be a white elephant after that. Any recommendations? :o

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for a camera for my upcoming finland trip. Not willing to spend too much because i know it will be a white elephant after that. Any recommendations? :o

Remember to have extra batteries with you .... cold country camera deplete battery juice very fast....

Will you be chasing the northern lights...?
If so, then consider a camera capable of Low lighting scenario
Also you may need a tripod or monopod to capture the northern lights

Last edited:

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Checkout the YouTube channel on how to take northern lights photos...
From there you can roughly gauge what kind of camera you should be looking for...

l

andy1982

Reaction score

think there are some places which allow u to rent a DSLR, just leave a deposit.

maybe u can consider the 2nd hand market... some decent buys there. or else u can always buy then sell 2nd hand.

sugaricing83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went for the tour briefing and they mentioned need tripod and a camera that can set ISO and aperture. Totally a noob at photography.

Remember to have extra batteries with you .... cold country camera deplete battery juice very fast....

Will you be chasing the northern lights...?
If so, then consider a camera capable of Low lighting scenario
Also you may need a tripod or monopod to capture the northern lights

sugaricing83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked out some sites and the rental is like $30+ to $40 per day? :eek: so i need to pay like $500 for 12 day trip. I think a 2nd hand would be better, just not sure which model to get :o

think there are some places which allow u to rent a DSLR, just leave a deposit.

maybe u can consider the 2nd hand market... some decent buys there. or else u can always buy then sell 2nd hand.

chiaRH

Reaction score
I went for the tour briefing and they mentioned need tripod and a camera that can set ISO and aperture. Totally a noob at photography.

the main criteria is you need:

- a camera with full manual controls (ISO, Shutter speed, aperture), comes standard built in for any DSLR or mirrorless.

- a fast and wide lens, because you are taking landscape, and it is night scene. The lens that come with the camera body (kit lens) won't be up to such task. this will likely be the most expensive part of the effort and will test how badly do you want a 'good quality' end result. if you think $500 is a lot, thats probably barely enough to cover the cost of the fast wide lens, let alone the tripod + camera body.

- not compulsory but preferably a hands-free way to shoot a photo. theres wireless remote, some camera brands got smartphone app to do remote shutter. This is to avoid touching the camera (it needs to be still when taking the long exposure shot, else got motion blur)

- a tripod that can support the camera (again cos you need the camera to be totally still for several seconds, between 4-10 seconds of zero movement per photo). the more windy the location, the more effort you need to make the tripod steady so it's important to consider.

- the knowledge on how to shoot long exposure photography (using the manual controls to set a long shutter speed)

- the knowledge on how to do manual focus (specifically focus to infinity as you are taking a far away subject)

Last edited:

andy1982

Reaction score
I checked out some sites and the rental is like $30+ to $40 per day? :eek: so i need to pay like $500 for 12 day trip. I think a 2nd hand would be better, just not sure which model to get :o

think the one day price and the weekly/monthly price will be different bah....

no harm asking... u will be renting for 2 weeks after all.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what abt these 2? ok a not?
Canon EOS M10
Canon EOS M100

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.