learning japanese

@lvyzy

Reaction score
Yes.

Initially I was using English to learn. but after intermittent level, I found that it was better to use Chinese to learn instead.

If you were learning through Chinese language, I can recommend a Taiwanese who's teaching Japanese.

He's quite good in Japanese grammar / vocabulary, and can explain quite well (in Chinese language). In fact, he will explain or teach on some areas of which other textbooks don't teach but students are expected to know.

As for the pronunciation, it will be handled by a Japanese.

Usually He will do live on Sundays at 9 pm to explain on Japanese grammar / vocabulary, but will stop for these 2 weeks.

BTW, he's in Taiwan, not in Singapore, but I have bought Japanese course from him. If good, I might continue learning from him.

I'm interested to learn Japanese through Chinese as well.
Do you mind to share more information about this teacher & his course?

cutthroat

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Bunka? Looking for places to pick up the very basics that can use skillsfuture credit. Idea is at least if i find it too tough my out of pocket cost will be reduced or non. At the same time i'd want a good school which i can continue with after E1 if i decide i can do it.

Last edited:

archampion

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Bunka? Looking for places to pick up the very basics that can use skillsfuture credit. Idea is at least if i find it too tough my out of pocket cost will be reduced or non. At the same time i'd want a good school which i can continue with after E1 if i decide i can do it.

My cousin is learning at Bunka. Price wise a bit more expensive than Hougang Japanese language school.

From what I heard from my friend, if I remembered correctly, Bunka will kinda prepare you for JLPT.

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am taking the advance class in Bunka. I am not sure about other levels but the class is purely conversational but based off what I heard, they use a different approach in Elementary where you will learn all conjugations before moving to the different grammar.

I have 2 other classes concurrently in Ikoma as well and if I were to compare, I will prefer Ikoma’s classes.

Idme231

Reaction score
I am taking the advance class in Bunka. I am not sure about other levels but the class is purely conversational but based off what I heard, they use a different approach in Elementary where you will learn all conjugations before moving to the different grammar.

I have 2 other classes concurrently in Ikoma as well and if I were to compare, I will prefer Ikoma’s classes.

What is the price different between those two tho?

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the price different between those two tho?

Bunka is slightly cheaper but the classes are shorter (for advance that is). 370 for 16weeks, 1.5hr per class.
Ikoma Advance is 450ish for 12weeks, 2.5hr per class
Ikoma prep (N2) is 450ish for 12weeks, 2.75hr per class.

Idme231

Reaction score
Bunka is slightly cheaper but the classes are shorter (for advance that is). 370 for 16weeks, 1.5hr per class.
Ikoma Advance is 450ish for 12weeks, 2.5hr per class
Ikoma prep (N2) is 450ish for 12weeks, 2.75hr per class.

Looks almost the 'same' imo.

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks almost the 'same' imo.

In terms of value, prep course has the best ROI but it is a bit lecture style with less participation, Basically it is test,test and more test. Then go through the mistakes on homework and tests, then it is grammar till you remember. Then you get homework and more homework.

Ikoma advance is slower but there is more participation. Because of the nature of the class, it is easier to form bonds within the class and with the sensei. Your sensei will become your friend and you get more out of just the regular class. You also get to "enjoy" writing essays for your homework. Just note that it is slower and it requires 2 years (for once a week lesson)

For Bunka, maybe it is just my experience but I feel that it is not as effective. I just go there for a 1.5hr conversation session, most of the time learning little by little. Because it is not as structured, I feel that it is even slower than Ikoma's regular classes.

My advice is, if money is an issue, do your beginner and intermediate with other cheaper schools, then above N3, you should consider Ikoma as I feel that there really does have some of the better teachers.

menageatrois

Reaction score
Dear all,

I will be organizing free Beginner Japanese lessons worth $600 for a group of 5 students starting Dec 19. The day should be on Sat 3-5pm or Sun 930-1130pm

To be eligible, you need to fill in the following template and submit to me at admin @ learnJapanese.sg (remove all spaces)

All applications will be reviewed on a case to case basis and all application results would be notified by email. Students who are from non well-to-do families will be considered first.

Name:
Contact number:
Email:
Why you wish to learn Japanese:
How you would use the knowledge picked up to benefit others?
Previous school (if any):
Able to afford textbook (around $65)?: Yes/No

Can-sensei

Also, recently, i just published an article on Japanese Grammatical terms, feel free to take a look over here

its a trial lesson? why would u do it pro bono?

unhinged_loon

Reaction score
I've been interested in learning Japanese all this time but never found time to. Therefore I'm quite a bit older than the typical language student.

I've recently found the time to memorize hiragana and katagana (though I can mix some of them up from time to time).

Do you mind saying what textbooks you use? Is it Genki?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Master Hiragana first
Step 2: Master Katakana first
Step 3: Attend classes.

Genki is mainly for non-Asian students and not a good book for self-study. You can try Japanese for Busy People or Minna no Nihongo.

But the best if you can is to attend classes.

Learning a language is like a journey, some people take weeks, some people takes years, some people take a lifetime. Important thing is to enjoy the journey. Cheers and good luck.

PasserbyAorB

Reaction score
I've been interested in learning Japanese all this time but never found time to. Therefore I'm quite a bit older than the typical language student.

I've recently found the time to memorize hiragana and katagana (though I can mix some of them up from time to time).

Do you mind saying what textbooks you use? Is it Genki?

Most schools use Minna no Nihongo. It's quite good. Personally feel quite possible to self-study one.. A harder from around chapter 14 when the てーform starts. For classes, people usually go for bunka or ikoma.

Hiragana and Katakana can go online to learn. Just copy out, and try to read the textbook in japanese.

Silverelf

Reaction score
Although it'd be difficult to learn the pronunciation of Japanese when you self learn from books, it can be gotten around quite easily.

You can take a beginner term in a school, and you will get the pronunciations down within the first module or so...

Or you can find Japanese language meetups. There are plenty of those around.

Or you can find activities conducted in Japanese to take part in, there's quite a few of those... depending on what you like.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.