SSD Price dropping......

Kairos

Reaction score
where you got that price? local or amazon

actually for those high speed like adata xpg nvme, ...?

Not forgetting Intel Optane :D:

burst-rr.png

Source: The ADATA XPG SX8200 & GAMMIX S11 NVMe SSD Review: High Performance At All Sizes

_DeS__

Reaction score
Nice reasoning there. And hence why close to no one will ever buy large-volume SSDs from local resellers :s8: So you tell me: who wins in this case?

Option A: The consumer who can simply turn to Amazon even though shipping may take a week or more

or

Option B: The local reseller who INSISTS on charging a 70% markup and ends up not selling ANY of his stock at all, leading to a overall loss since he cant sell his stock of SSDs?

So just because SSDs are a niche product, its LOGICAL to be charging 70% markups even though its painfully, no, BLATANTLY obvious that we can get it cheaper elsewhere? What sort of nonsense argument is that?

Its like Best Denki selling Dell laptops at 4000 SGD when Dell.com.sg sells it at 2000 SGD online. Best Denki has the advantage of having a physical presence and shorter and cheaper shipping. But no one bothers buying from Best Denki

Best Denki realises they're making a loss since NO ONE buys their laptops that they ordered from the supplier, Dell. So instead of charging a small markup like say, 300$, they CONTINUE selling at 4000$, go bankrupt and then blame it on the consumers. Stupid hor?

Would You rather sell your stock that you already bought from the supplier and have on hand at a small markup that's REASONABLE and at least make some money or be an idiot and persist in selling that stock at a price that NO SANE PERSON WILL BUY AT? and basically be stuck with a full inventory of stock you cant sell?

Local retailers have the advantage of(for some) a physical store to browse and collect goods at, and a much shorter and cheaper delivery time. You charge me a reasonable markup for that, I'm more than willing to pay.

Local retailers buy from local distributors at certain price and resell at MSRP.

For example Samsung 860evo 1tb @ 315 before gst. Resells at $369 include gst. Profit margin typically 8-12%. Seems like you have the impression that retailers buy at $200 and sell at $369, thats not true.

Do consider market size and demand. USA population 325m vs Singapore 6m. You go mama shop buy things cheaper or NTUC/ShengShiong?

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do consider market size and demand. USA population 325m vs Singapore 6m. You go mama shop buy things cheaper or NTUC/ShengShiong?

This.

Bolehland/Ayam Penyetland bigger size also doesn't translate to their IT stuff being cheaper than SG. That's why so many iCute tier PSU sold there.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can we stop complaining local retailers? Later they lobby the government to implement some sort of tax when you buy overseas then GG Liao...already now there is discussion to have 7% gst on overseas order without needing it to be over $400.

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
optane only shines in a server workload. a standard user will never be able to tell the difference between any ssds released in the past 3 years.

My old samsung 840 pro boots windows and launches game at the same speeds as my 128gb NVMe drive and 1tb sata drive.

Bbfabbna

Reaction score
Most users will not benefit from using Optane. It is fast, but really expensive, runs hot and is very power hungry at higher capacities. High capacities includes the 280GB one.

Yes, optane is quite useless for vast majority of the users. Optane looks good on low queue depth benchmarks. But real world performance is another thing.

Those massive performance actually just reduce loading times but 2-3 sec when loading app/games.... read review. They timed the loading of windows and games... very little improvement.

For the price we have to pay for that few second..... doubt its worth it.0

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
optane only shines in a server workload. a standard user will never be able to tell the difference between any ssds released in the past 3 years.

My old samsung 840 pro boots windows and launches game at the same speeds as my 128gb NVMe drive and 1tb sata drive.

This is true. I am also using my 850 Pro to run Windows.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
for normal usage of course not much, moderate to heavy workloads can have big difference.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for normal usage of course not much, moderate to heavy workloads can have big difference.

And that is the problem. Most users won't have moderate workloads. Plus there are 2 other issues that will limit performance, (1) throttling if not adequately cooled, and (2) speed will decline after SLC cache is exhausted, depending on SLC cache size.

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HP ex920 speed so good????
Think some online store selling 1TB for SGD300+

helloworld321

Reaction score
Can we stop complaining local retailers? Later they lobby the government to implement some sort of tax when you buy overseas then GG Liao...already now there is discussion to have 7% gst on overseas order without needing it to be over $400.

Canada tax anything over 20 bucks. But they gonna change it cost them more to do so LOL

narkizy

Reaction score

Only goes to show how bloody stubborn and stupid our local retailers are if they rlly do complain :s13: Boycott even more lo. As it is even Sim Lim Sq is a ghost-town since more and more sgreans starting to realise they can get their gear cheaper online now.

Sorry, but I dont run a f**king charity. You want to justify your high prices with that ridiculous reasoning, go ahead. I'll happily buy elsewhere and watch you local retailers suffer even more losses lel

Last edited:

Zink00

Reaction score
dont support local coz greedy. Until prices normalize then talk. Even now gpu prices like vega/gtx dropping but local still selling sky high. Wonder who r the idiots who will buy from them

Last edited:

narkizy

Reaction score
dont support local coz greedy. Until prices normalize then talk. Even now gpu prices like vega/gtx dropping but local still selling sky high. Wonder who r the idiots who will buy from them

Shh... dont complain... Later some laojiaos here call you stupid cuz they claim the local retailers got MAGICAL local distros/suppliers that apparently have a stranglehold on their supplyline and charge our poor local retailers sky high supply prices :s22:

Conspiracy theorists everywhere man :s13:

Last edited:

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dun support local nor overseas, bottomline is I support my wallet.

And oh, ddr4 ram prices seems to be on their way down...

Last edited:

Kairos

Reaction score
IMHO, some can buy from overseas, especially with international warranty. The savings are huge! :D

Others with expensive overseas shipping or long local warranty can buy in SG.

So, both online marketplace and local distributor/retailer are important. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.