NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

juggernaut7

Reaction score
Hi Juggernaut,

Will they still email or inform you if you are exempted from taking EPT?
If I'm not wrong, they will only notify those that need to sit for the EPT.
There's one coming on the 29 Oct but my friend is unable to sit for that due to work commitments, hence MOE is rescheduling it to Nov.

Vanillachoco

Reaction score
Is your Friend teaching pri or sec level?

If I'm not wrong, they will only notify those that need to sit for the EPT.
There's one coming on the 29 Oct but my friend is unable to sit for that due to work commitments, hence MOE is rescheduling it to Nov.

Valvani

Reaction score
Hi im new to this post. Anyone selected for sec ENG? any tips on tips on the presentation part?

poppyave

Reaction score
hi!! it's good to be clear in the objective of the topic you're teaching. also do exercise patience if the students try to stumble you!

Hi im new to this post. Anyone selected for sec ENG? any tips on tips on the presentation part?

joy885

Reaction score
Admission to NIE - Exemption Test (CL)

Hi, I am going to NIE in Dec.
Wonder if anyone here needs to attend the exemption test (CL) like I do?
Or has anyone heard about it? :)

annaxnain

Reaction score
Change in Starting Pay

Hi all,

I have been a silent reader of this really helpful thread! I'm scheduled for an interview for PGDE GEO next week, as a mid-career switch.

I noticed that the GEO starting pay has dropped! For PGDE, it previously started at 3.1k, but now it's 2.9k (amended Oct 2018). Does anyone know the approximate annual increment? If offered, will I be allowed to negotiate for a higher salary, as long as its within range?

Thank you!

huangsandra

Reaction score
I see! Did you receive any email for updates or did u try to email them? Because I have friend who is waiting too, and she tried to email moe, I'm wondering should I email too.
Did moe reply your friend?I want to know how long moe will update us after medical check?my current work has two month notice period.

Mamimo

Reaction score
Wow really. I wonder what’s the reason behind the drop. Hmmm. From my understanding, mid career teachers would start on a diff pay scale. If I’m not mistaken it’s 80% of your current. Not sure if they have updated that as well. Would need to check. 😅

Good luck for your interview!

Hi all,

I have been a silent reader of this really helpful thread! I'm scheduled for an interview for PGDE GEO next week, as a mid-career switch.

I noticed that the GEO starting pay has dropped! For PGDE, it previously started at 3.1k, but now it's 2.9k (amended Oct 2018). Does anyone know the approximate annual increment? If offered, will I be allowed to negotiate for a higher salary, as long as its within range?

Thank you!

nejezs

Reaction score
Haha this was in my attachement

Presentation Task

“Before the start of the interview proper, you will be asked to give a 5-minute lesson presentation on your first teaching subject, pitched at the level you have been shortlisted for. Do prepare for the presentation beforehand.”

Maybe they have diff instructions for diff candidates ?

ohh haha that could be the case 😅 mine is:

“You are to present in English if you have been shortlisted for an English-medium subject, and in the appropriate Mother Tongue Language if you have been shortlisted to teach in the Chinese, Malay or Tamil-medium. If you have been shortlisted to teach English Language (Pri), you may choose to present on either the first or second teaching subject.”

nejezs

Reaction score
Wow really. I wonder what’s the reason behind the drop. Hmmm. From my understanding, mid career teachers would start on a diff pay scale. If I’m not mistaken it’s 80% of your current. Not sure if they have updated that as well. Would need to check. 😅

Good luck for your interview!

Sigh, mine is definitely not 80% of my last drawn ): it’s much lower hahahah

nejezs

Reaction score
Hi Nejezs, no worries, thanks for the reply and clarifying with regards to what subjects we can present on!

Agree that math is easier to come up with a topic and present on haha!

Do you mind sharing what topic you presented on and how the interviewers tried to disrupt your lesson?

I presented on P5 - Decimals, multiplication by 10, 100 and 1000. My interviewers are fairly kind. One of them just told me that she don’t understand so i just repeated at a slower pace and checked with her thereafter. I think I have it easier as compared to others haha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.