LG V40

mie28

Reaction score
hi guys

based on V20, V30, does the price drop collapse in Singapore ? (official set with warranty, not grey /PI)

or control price one?

thanks!

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v40-price-drop-910454/

Official set price (telcos, LG showrooms/roadshows) seems controlled. Took many months to drop. But as with V30, there are many retailers also selling on Qoo10 and Lazada so with the coupons some managed to get good deals I recall.

gws898

Reaction score
Official set price (telcos, LG showrooms/roadshows) seems controlled. Took many months to drop. But as with V30, there are many retailers also selling on Qoo10 and Lazada so with the coupons some managed to get good deals I recall.

But this year's phone (especally G7) drops really fast.

plainsman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v40-thinq-update-911369/

lg_v40_update_droid_life_300x649.jpg

don't know how much this update really improves camera performance and if any videos will be made about this.

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when is telco releasing this phone?
or when is this hitting our shores?

chiaRH

Reaction score
when is telco releasing this phone?
or when is this hitting our shores?

for SG usually about 1 month between announcement and telco pricing/release date

eg LG G7 announce was 3rd May. Telco pricing/availability announce 2nd Jun.

the V40 was announced 4th Oct its too soon for telco to release their price/availability

chiaRH

Reaction score
Sadly LG marketing has always sucked. Even if from past trends they always tend to release in SG about 1 month after announcement, the fact that they don't make effort to communicate any release date or open preorder date makes it troublesome to keep track.

If you go to LG Mobile singapore FB page now there isnt even a FB post to mention that something called the V40 was recently announced.

Last edited:

Rickosw

Reaction score
Typically LG. *sigh*
Even Huawei launch after them going to sell by 27 oct liao. With better specs summore for content creators. Why LG havnt learn from their mistakes is beyond me.
I am a hardcore LG fanboy, V10, V20, V30 but Huawei Pro 20 really got me interested.
U see the number of post over the other side.. Vs here
So quiet...

Sent from LGE LG-H930 using GAGT

plainsman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agreed. i also tempted by mate 20 pro

the only showstopper for me is headphone jack and proprietary/rare nano sd slot

kaya14

Reaction score
Same here. Been using LG since the Ku990 with the stylus. Would have gotten G7/V40 if not for the very average battery capacity :(

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

chiaRH

Reaction score
I am a hardcore LG fanboy, V10, V20, V30 but Huawei Pro 20 really got me interested.
U see the number of post over the other side.. Vs here
So quiet...

Sent from LGE LG-H930 using GAGT

i think as a fan of a brand doesnt mean u necessarily have to only consume the products from that brand, keeping an open mind to other brands and what they are achieving is good for broadening perspective.

actually from G4 days I was also a LG fan. I stuck with my G4 for 2 years (and 2 bootloop incidents) and it was the device that got me interested in manual photography. That being said today my daily driver is a Asus Zenfone 5 as my previous LG G6 had a very underwhelming camera performance. I still keep an eye out on LG hoping they will make another camera leap forward (currently they still have the best manual mode UI imo)

mie28

Reaction score
i think as a fan of a brand doesnt mean u necessarily have to only consume the products from that brand, keeping an open mind to other brands and what they are achieving is good for broadening perspective.

actually from G4 days I was also a LG fan. I stuck with my G4 for 2 years (and 2 bootloop incidents) and it was the device that got me interested in manual photography. That being said today my daily driver is a Asus Zenfone 5 as my previous LG G6 had a very underwhelming camera performance. I still keep an eye out on LG hoping they will make another camera leap forward (currently they still have the best manual mode UI imo)

haha. The force of using something familiar is very strong in one actually. Not as easy for some to switch as and when as compared to others. Had a tough time to decide to splurge on Note7 or not as I came from Note series for previous 2 version. Had it not been recalled and cancelled, I might have not known the beauty of V20. However, when V30 came out, it was plagued with a few issues and one non-issue to others was to me an issue - 2nd screen. I find it quite useable but others and LG don't see so. When V40 was announced with telephoto, it got me excited again. But when details were revealed, fineprints like the wide angle not being so wide, the pricing and now the launch date being silent etc kindda kills the momentum.

When Huawei added wide angle, that pretty much swayed me over. With a confirmed launch date and pricing, many who are gunning for the wide angle camera have another phone to think about. Add in all the capabilities and big battery, I think it's a no brainer. I miss the excitement LG brought to me using their manual mode and wide angle on my 1st day of usage. But LG thought me that it was and is possible to jump ship whenever the situation fits.

chiaRH

Reaction score
When Huawei added wide angle, that pretty much swayed me over. With a confirmed launch date and pricing, many who are gunning for the wide angle camera have another phone to think about. Add in all the capabilities and big battery, I think it's a no brainer.

still best to wait for camera reviews and see how it fares

having a wide angle is 1 thing but having a wide angle that performs decently is another whole story

the mate 20 pro wide angle is f2.2 with 20MP resolution and no OIS (only the 8MP telephoto has OIS). Thats going to be really bad for low light no matter how well you think the low light mode can compensate. 50% of your life is spent at night so having a camera that is only good during the other 50% is kind of underwhelming.

even doing a hands on for display unit if you casually shoot in auto mode it may not tell you the true performance of the device. I've stress tested a LG V30 display unit before by using it in full manual with a ND filter and NR toggled off in settings. The amount of noise produced was all the proof to confirm that LG's insistance on a small sensor back then was finally holding back their potential to improve their cameras.

Last edited:

kaya14

Reaction score
But to be fair it's very hard to stress test a phone's capabilities with the amount of time / apps you have with the demo set. Stuff like night shots etc, only when you are actually in the environment itself then you can know where it delivers or underperforms.

chiaRH

Reaction score
But to be fair it's very hard to stress test a phone's capabilities with the amount of time / apps you have with the demo set. Stuff like night shots etc, only when you are actually in the environment itself then you can know where it delivers or underperforms.

for me the most i'll try is to see how noisy it gets at ISO levels around 200-400 and roughly estimate how well the camera performs from there.

any further testing beyond that is indeed unfeasible (especially 3rd party camera support)

although it also goes down to how critical are you of the camera. most people dont really care if their shots come out mediocre or noisy since at the end of the day these shots are for social media not for print

plainsman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Till now there's no news of this elusive phone haha

so sad.

im still holding out for its release and to try it extensively

huawei mate 20 pro video mode seems gimpy especially for indie movie making

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.