Entry level mirrorless camera

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please help me choose. Main use is for travel and hopefully light enough to bring out everyday for casual shoot.

Have shortlisted a few

Sony A6000
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/cam...ss-cameras/sony-alpha-ilce-6000l-h-brown.html

Panasonic Lumix GF9K
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/cam...cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gf9kga-k-blk.html

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/cameras-phones-and-gps/cameras/mirrorless-cameras/product-15436.html

Canon EOS-M3 DSLM Camera
https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/cam...-lens-camera-with-18-55mm-lens-kit-white.html

Budget is around 1k.

Thanks in advance!

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I bought the a6000 few years ago for $640. You probably can get it cheaper now.

Coupled with the sigma 30mm or 16mm f1.4 lens should still be in your budget

andy1982

Reaction score
people here been raving about the A6000...

kinda agree that its value for money. just not a big fan of sony's camera. but that's just me.

for cannon... i would look at the M5 or the M100. i was looking at both before i decided i prefer the over all feel of a DSLR, basically its more balance in my hands, a mirrorless feels very forward heavy.

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Imo the lens makes more of an image quality difference then the sensor. It will be a waste to blow the whole budget into the camera. Personally I will 2/3 of my budget on the lens and accessories.

If you want to make the most out of you camera, learn to use manual mode and shoot RAW. If you want just to press button and get photo, a smartphone will serve you better.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
people here been raving about the A6000...

kinda agree that its value for money. just not a big fan of sony's camera. but that's just me.

for cannon... i would look at the M5 or the M100. i was looking at both before i decided i prefer the over all feel of a DSLR, basically its more balance in my hands, a mirrorless feels very forward heavy.

Yes, agree that due to the small size, it feels heavy though it is lighter. I already own a DSLR, Nikon D90 with a couple of lenses. Looking for something more portable but not compromise too much on quality. Thanks for the input!

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Imo the lens makes more of an image quality difference then the sensor. It will be a waste to blow the whole budget into the camera. Personally I will 2/3 of my budget on the lens and accessories.

If you want to make the most out of you camera, learn to use manual mode and shoot RAW. If you want just to press button and get photo, a smartphone will serve you better.

Agree totally. The lens is very important.. Not new to photography as I have been shooting for several years.. but definitely no expert. :s13:

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No love for Olympus camera? Actually that is the one that attracts me the most due to its 5 axis stabiliser for both still photo and video. :D

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yes, agree that due to the small size, it feels heavy though it is lighter. I already own a DSLR, Nikon D90 with a couple of lenses. Looking for something more portable but not compromise too much on quality. Thanks for the input!

A Nikon z series camera should be ideal. You can adapt your current Nikon glass with their f to z lens adapter.

Unfortunately their z6 starts at $2.6k

I think there are a few f mount to Sony e mount adapters available if you are interested in adapting your current Nikon lens to a Sony body
but they don't work consistently

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A Nikon z series camera should be ideal. You can adapt your current Nikon glass with their f to z lens adapter.

Unfortunately their z6 starts at $2.6k

I think there are a few f mount to Sony e mount adapters available if you are interested in adapting your current Nikon lens to a Sony body
but they don't work consistently

Yes, beyond my budget and if use with my current lens, it will become bulky again. :(

illumnae

Reaction score
My vote goes to the Olympus. Don't just think about the kit lens, but as your photography grows in future, are the better lenses also suitably small for you? Olympus has a big range of high quality and compact lenses from wide to super telephoto. I don't think the Sony APSC or Canon EF-M range can compare.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
My vote goes to the Olympus. Don't just think about the kit lens, but as your photography grows in future, are the better lenses also suitably small for you? Olympus has a big range of high quality and compact lenses from wide to super telephoto. I don't think the Sony APSC or Canon EF-M range can compare.

There are probably more micro 4/3 lenses for the Olympus but personally I don't feel the current sony e mount line up is lacking. Currently for my a6000 I have a sigma f2.8 19mm, Sigma f1.4 30mm and a Sigma f2.8 60mm. All those are reasonably price and 95% of my photos are taken with those 3 lenses. The rest of my lenses include the kit lens, several vintage lens used with an adapter and 2 C mount CCTV lens also with an adapter.

Sony seems to be more interested in making expensive & large full frame lenses.

The canon APS-C mirrorless lens lineup is so small you my as well use adapted canon DSLR lenses.

Wow.. So many supporters for A6000. Will check it out. :)

Compared to other new cameras the Sony A6000 is abit long in the tooth with no touchscreen etc. But you can get a decent APS-C sensor for under $600 which makes it a great value for its price.

Last edited:

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes, this is one of my consideration too. Compact lenses to build on in future. If this mirrorless adventure is a successful one for me, I will look to liquidate my Nikon system. :s13:

Btw, which Olympus camera did you get?

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are probably more micro 4/3 lenses for the Olympus but personally I don't feel the current sony e mount line up is lacking. Currently for my a6000 I have a sigma f2.8 19mm, Sigma f1.4 30mm and a Sigma f2.8 60mm. All those are reasonably price and 95% of my photos are taken with those 3 lenses. The rest of my lenses include the kit lens, several vintage lens used with an adapter and 2 C mount CCTV lens also with an adapter.

Sony seems to be more interested in making expensive & large full frame lenses.

The canon APS-C mirrorless lens lineup is so small you my as well use adapted canon DSLR lenses.

Compared to other new cameras the Sony A6000 is abit long in the tooth with no touchscreen etc. But you can get a decent APS-C sensor for under $600 which makes it a great value for its price.

Where did you buy your Signa lenses from? Any places where I can check the prices online for Singapore? Can’t seem to find much info.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.