Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree... quite clearly Android has relegated tablets to the lowest priority... it's stagnated since Honeycomb... it isn't like that for Apple where apps that are entered to the Apple Store must work both with the phone and tablet... it seems like the Android protocol is simply work first withstand phone, tablet later if you have the time to do it... it's a chicken and egg situation where there aren't enough users for developers to spend resources to make their apps work with the plethora of tablets out there and so with too few optimized apps, there aren't users adopting Android tablets...

From the way I observe the activities in the various forums for different Android tablets, the focus of users seem to centre around entertainment and consumption of content, rather than productivity... even gaming is not really a focus, neither is productivity apps... it's really the lowest use - watching videos that seem to concern Android tablet users... Android tablets are a cheap way to watch videos on the move... not so many people it seems would buy a very expensive iPad just to watch videos... that probably explains the popularity of Xiaomi tablets and also the budget tablets from Lenovo or Huawei etc...

But with chrome OS tablets which will be able to run all Android apps coming up, I wonder if Google will encourage android developers to make customised apps for tablets once again

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But with chrome OS tablets which will be able to run all Android apps coming up, I wonder if Google will encourage android developers to make customised apps for tablets once again

I actually don't quite understand the difficulty of porting apps from phones to tablets given the variety of Android phones out there... most Android apps work flawlessly in phones... why not tablets?

Given that Android apps are running in a shell - meaning the Chrome OS - does this increase the degree of complexities of porting apps over from phone to tablets, apart from aspect ratio and resolution and scaling issues? Or does having to run in a more or less standardized environment within the Chrome OS help with the porting conundrum?

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I actually don't quite understand the difficulty of porting apps from phones to tablets given the variety of Android phones out there... most Android apps work flawlessly in phones... why not tablets?

Given that Android apps are running in a shell - meaning the Chrome OS - does this increase the degree of complexities of porting apps over from phone to tablets, apart from aspect ratio and resolution and scaling issues? Or does having to run in a more or less standardized environment within the Chrome OS help with the porting conundrum?

Most apps on phone do work on tablet, the keyword is not optimised. So basically you just get a blown up version from phone which wasted the big screen on tablet. Also, many apps only work in portrait mode which is very frustrating when you are using in landscape mode.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh... sorry I wasn't very clear... when I meant didn't run flawlessly, I meant what you pointed out... lots of wasted space, tiny buttons, oddities in display including refusing to run in landscape mode or being highly pixilated cos the graphics is stretched...

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Most apps on phone do work on tablet, the keyword is not optimised. So basically you just get a blown up version from phone which wasted the big screen on tablet. Also, many apps only work in portrait mode which is very frustrating when you are using in landscape mode.

Does this apply to Google's apps?

To me, I am considering to go for an Android Tablet mainly because I don't see a benefit for a user like my profile to continue having an iOS tablet.

I use Windows at home for my PC needs and my phone is android.

For usage of the tablet, it is to:
  • Take notes
  • Edit Google Docs
  • Consume videos
  • Email access

I think so long it is optimized with Google Apps and maybe some apps to edit Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel, it is a good enough workhorse for my needs.

Apart from this, also want to check. Anyone used iClever foldable keyboard with this yet?

I am thinking of getting this:
https://www.iclever.com/products/iC...droid-Tablets-Smartphones-Laptops-PC-and-More

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does this apply to Google's apps?

To me, I am considering to go for an Android Tablet mainly because I don't see a benefit for a user like my profile to continue having an iOS tablet.

I use Windows at home for my PC needs and my phone is android.

For usage of the tablet, it is to:Take notesEdit Google DocsConsume videosEmail access
I think so long it is optimized with Google Apps and maybe some apps to edit Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel, it is a good enough workhorse for my needs.

Apart from this, also want to check. Anyone used iClever foldable keyboard with this yet?

I am thinking of getting this:
https://www.iclever.com/products/iCl...ps-PC-and-More

I would think most apps from big companies should be ok. Take note you can't use actual MS office apps to edit on Tab S4 without subscription

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
I would think most apps from big companies should be ok. Take note you can't use actual MS office apps to edit on Tab S4 without subscription

Yup i read because the screen exceeded the size limit.

I rarely use those productivity apps from smaller companies on android. So I hope it is all good for me. Now is just waiting to do the recontract.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

OH... I didn't know that... I'm using MS Word to take notes on my Sony Tablet Z... that's 10.1 inch... so the Tab S4 is 10.5 inch and you can't edit on MS Word?

alex666

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tech show now is 64G free keyboard cover + 64G sd card + $50 off std price

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

RouK3ziLa

Master Member
Reaction score
maybe you can wait for next few months to see if prices will drop

dont need la ... just either head to stores to see what they can offer you ... or wait till end month ... just buy if the price you happy with it ... no point forever "waiting for price to drop"

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.