Citibank Maxigain Savings Account

MajeMaje

Reaction score
I've recently opened a MaxiGain account but how can I see my counter? I don't see the active interest rate anywhere. Neither online nor on the e-statement.

The whole online portal feels like it hasn't been updated since the early 2000s.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've recently opened a MaxiGain account but how can I see my counter? I don't see the active interest rate anywhere. Neither online nor on the e-statement.

The whole online portal feels like it hasn't been updated since the early 2000s.

e statement got write ur counter in very small wording just after all the balances shown

shadowrains

Reaction score
saw the monthly letter mail in was always in 2 section of the interest paid.

but they didnt mention how it was calculated

And what im getting in interest seem shortchange.

is it maybe because during certain day s of the month i bank in some money?

May I know what is the shortchange you think you are getting?

Interest rate refers to the sibor portion. Bonus interest rate is the counter portion.

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I know what is the shortchange you think you are getting?

Interest rate refers to the sibor portion. Bonus interest rate is the counter portion.

Both portion add up and I find 20% of the intrest short as i bank in addition on the 5 working day on that month so I might be in the wrong calculation zone
Nvm, this month I stop banking in so I can tell if it correct

Since someone already reported the differ is 10c then should be my calculation is wrong
Thank guys for the feedback

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both portion add up and I find 20% of the intrest short as i bank in addition on the 5 working day on that month so I might be in the wrong calculation zone
Nvm, this month I stop banking in so I can tell if it correct

Since someone already reported the differ is 10c then should be my calculation is wrong
Thank guys for the feedback

i think it is because you calculated the extra money you banked in this month right ?

the maxigain is a bit confusing in that the bonus interest is actually based on the previous month's balance, so it doesn't matter how much you topped up in that particular month. and that is also the reason why you can withdraw the interest earned without any penalty.

Bonus interest = Lowest balance in previous month * bonus interest*number of days in previous month= $50,000*
0.1%p.a.* (22/365) = $3.01

PC-User

Master Member
Reaction score
I really wonder why the need to verify the interest down to ¢ accuracy. Just estimate it's around there is good enough. I don't think the bank system will perform wrong calculation. It's automated one mah.

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think it is because you calculated the extra money you banked in this month right ?

the maxigain is a bit confusing in that the bonus interest is actually based on the previous month's balance, so it doesn't matter how much you topped up in that particular month. and that is also the reason why you can withdraw the interest earned without any penalty.

Bonus interest = Lowest balance in previous month * bonus interest*number of days in previous month= $50,000*
0.1%p.a.* (22/365) = $3.01

Thank for the inform think that the reason . I don’t think bank will cheat ppl but will need to understand how they do the calculation

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank for the inform think that the reason . I don’t think bank will cheat ppl but will need to understand how they do the calculation

aiya, some ppl too smart mah, they dont know peasants like us different from them, if not why do we need bankers and banking staff for help if everything can just read T&Cs to understand? also some ppl just want to know the calculations so that can shift their money somewhere else to squeeze as much as they can ma if they feel they are getting lesser ma, unlike some ppl too rich dont care about those few dollars here and there

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The method of calculation is clearly and completely documented here.

It is not difficult to understand, and you are able to calculate down to $0.01 accuracy with it. The problem is everyone is else is simply estimating SIBOR, hence the discrepancy. If you really want to accurately calculate it, you need to taking the *daily* SIBOR value (from the source cited in the T&C) and calculating it against the EOD balance of *each day* for base interest.

Bonus interest is downright easy to calculate.

Post your daily EOD balance for the last month, and two months ago, and it would generally be possible for someone to calculate if your interest credited is correct.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if not why do we need bankers and banking staff for help if everything can just read T&Cs to understand?

... If you are unable to understand reading the MaxiGain T&C, no amount of explanation by a staff would help you understand it either.

It is not a complex document. The main thing really is, most have not even bothered to try reading it, and just want to be spoon-fed; then get pissy when they misunderstand or generally fail to understand what they were told.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
... If you are unable to understand reading the MaxiGain T&C, no amount of explanation by a staff would help you understand it either.

It is not a complex document. The main thing really is, most have not even bothered to try reading it, and just want to be spoon-fed; then get pissy when they misunderstand or generally fail to understand what they were told.

it may not be complex to you but it doesn't mean it isn't complex to others. I don't deny that some don't even bother to read it and get pissy, but obviously foxer77 isn't such a person.

If it was not that complex, you wouldn't even have Citibank staff not knowing the proper way of calculations etc. For instance, when you understand that the bonus interest is calculated based on the previous month's lowest balance, it makes total sense why you can withdraw the interest credited without any penalty. But yet some of the Citibank staff can say otherwise. That already shows the TnCs is mildly complex and confusing to some extent for the layman.

PC-User

Master Member
Reaction score
aiya, some ppl too smart mah, they dont know peasants like us different from them, if not why do we need bankers and banking staff for help if everything can just read T&Cs to understand? also some ppl just want to know the calculations so that can shift their money somewhere else to squeeze as much as they can ma if they feel they are getting lesser ma, unlike some ppl too rich dont care about those few dollars here and there
Aiya, it's really tedious to calculate ma. Especially if the account is not idling ma. I mean it's still possible to calculate lah. But it really doesn't worth the effort ma. Just trust the bank is correct, take the interest and be happy lah.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it may not be complex to you but it doesn't mean it isn't complex to others. I don't deny that some don't even bother to read it and get pissy, but obviously foxer77 isn't such a person.

On the contrary, from his post...

saw the monthly letter mail in was always in 2 section of the interest paid.

but they didnt mention how it was calculated

And what im getting in interest seem shortchange.

is it maybe because during certain day s of the month i bank in some money?

..., and from his follow up posts ("Nvm, this month I stop banking in so I can tell if it correct"), it was actually quite obvious to me that he *is* such a person.

What person is that exactly? One who seems to expect their bank statement to also explain how the interest paid was calculated. I don't know of any bank who does that... One who, when his calculations don't add up, thinks that "the bank is wrong", rather than "where/how did *I* go wrong in my calculations?"... One, who isn't sure how the interest is actually calculated, and is just guessing how this account works ("is it maybe because...")... and one whose method of trying to figure out if the bank's interest calculation is correct, or wrong, is by not banking in more money the following month.

I'd reckon you're backing the wrong horse there.

If it was not that complex, you wouldn't even have Citibank staff not knowing the proper way of calculations etc. For instance, when you understand that the bonus interest is calculated based on the previous month's lowest balance, it makes total sense why you can withdraw the interest credited without any penalty. But yet some of the Citibank staff can say otherwise. That already shows the TnCs is mildly complex and confusing to some extent for the layman.

I'm actually inclined to believe, most staff had correctly explained it - just that the person either misunderstood, or failed to understand what they were told; or was not able to clearly articulate what they were asking, such that the staff could understand them, and so they were provided with a simplified answer instead.

I'm not saying mistakes weren't made - it is indeed possible the staff may have made mistakes too - but I'm actually a pretty happy Citi customer, and never had any major issues with them. As I was an existing Citi customer, my MaxiGain a/c was opened simply by making a phone call, so it's quite hard for me to appreciate the grief a number of posters here have experienced.

Last edited:

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What person is that exactly? One who seems to expect their bank statement to also explain how the interest paid was calculated. I don't know of any bank who does that... One who, when his calculations don't add up, thinks that "the bank is wrong", rather than "where did *I* go wrong in my calculations?".. One whose method of trying to figure out if the bank's interest calculation is correct, or wrong, by not banking in more money the following month.

It isn't rocket science, but I'd reckon you're backing the wrong horse there.

I'm not backing anyone, just saying that if you don't want to help others, can just don't reply, don't always have to be sarcastic and say "Oh just go and read the T&Cs, everything is explained fully down there". Like that might as well just close this thread, since everything is already explained in the T&Cs and it is not complex that everyone should understand. I was one of the earlier person who didn't fully understand the T&Cs originally and the account (it took me a few reads and each read were after a few months) and everytime this thread surfaced to the top, always the top few posts were ppl shooting down newbies and asking them to read the T&Cs thats why I didn't open the account and I feel really wasted now that's why I feel this way.

I'm actually inclined to believe, most staff had correctly explained it - just that the person either misunderstood, or failed to understand what they were told.

I'm not saying mistakes weren't made - it is indeed possible they were mistaken too - but I'm actually a pretty happy Citi customer, and never had any major issues with them. As I was an existing Citi customer, my MaxiGain a/c was opened simply by making a phone call, so it's quite hard for me to appreciate the grief a number of posters here have experienced.

You already mentioned you are an existing Citi customer. That alone is very different from someone trying to open a new account with 0 balance with no intention of signing up any credit cards or loans. Can't believe you aren't able to see that a person with 200k and a person with 15k or less will get different kinds of treatments at times (not by all staff, but at least some).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.