Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just trying to use China Tunnel free VPN in my rooted Android TV box and it seems to work fine with Tencent Video (腾讯视频). For non-Paying member, you get only up to 720p quality and limited choices, but 720p is actually pretty good.

So using VPN seems to be a good choice.

China Tunnel is free but can only be installed on rooted box. There are other VPN like Transocks穿梭 (free trial and paid subscription) as well as speedin快帆。

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any 64G 4G ram recommend?

You do not need 4GB/64GB for Android boxes. I have the Rockchip RK3328 based 4GB/64GB boxes but it is actually not as good as my Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB boxes in terms of performance, almost everything is better for the S912 box, CPU is faster, Gigabit ethernet is much better than 100Mbps on the RK3328 box. Only thing better for the RK3328 box is the USB 3.0.

In fact Mi Box is based on Amlogic S905X with 2GB RAM and only 8GB storage and it is one of the best box for beginners. Then there are many S905X/S905W based box like Tanix TX3 Max with 2GB/16GB which is cheaper but the quality may vary.

New S905X2 based box may tick all the good points: good enough CPU, 2/3/4GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB storage, 2.4GHz/5GHz Wifi, Gigabit Ethernet, Android 8.1. But it is better to wait for a good vendor to start using it — current S905X2 boxes are from unknown vendors (eg X96 Max 4GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB model come with dual band wifi and Gigabit network).

If you want the best performance, go for Nvidia Shield TV, Tegra X1 CPU, 3GB RAM, 16GB storage (Pro model got 500GB HDD).

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Xiaomi TV box good or not?
What are the pro and cons?

I feel like getting one on 11.11 sales.

Can I use my Samsung android phones to mirror the tv box?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi TV box good or not?
What are the pro and cons?

I feel like getting one on 11.11 sales.

Can I use my Samsung android phones to mirror the tv box?

Yes Google Chromecast function is built-in.

You need to buy the older Android 6.0 version as per New TV Box SG for better compatibility now. And make sure you buy the Mi Box Global Version, not China version (Mi 3,3c, 3 enhanced, 4, 4c, etc).
https://www.mi.com/global/mibox/

New version is Mi Box S with Android 8.1.
https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s/specs/
https://www.mi.com/global/mi-box-s/

Not this one running MIUI TV.
https://www.mi.com/global/miboxpro/specs/

Pro: Certified Android TV with high resolution Netflix and YouTube, Google Chromecast function, Amlogic S905X CPU with 2GB RAM, dual band ac WiFi

Cons: no Ethernet, 8GB storage

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just for reference there are quite some apps for iOS as well from the official App Store for Chinese entertainment and more. You can search Apple App Store for the following.
电视家,idrama,华文电视,欧华生活。

More on iOS
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

You can see the selection for iOS is quite limited compared to Android platform. For example I can find CCM from 华文电视/欧华生活 but no TVB channels.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys. I need a Android TV box for CCTV channels from China. I don't need anything else.

Any cheap TV box to recommend? Below 50 will be the best

For CCTV and provincial China TV stations, quite some apps will do with pretty good quality. For example 华文电视 or live TV apps like 超级直播from Dangbei 当贝市场will do. You actually get more.

For boxes, 2GB/16GB Amlogic S905W based will be good enough for your needs and beyond and price will be around your budgets. They are usually non-branded. Tanix is one of the better known brand among them. 1GB/8GB may be okay for your specific need but you will regret soon.

If you use Taobao you can get Tanix TX3 Max or Tanix TX3 Mini 2GB/16GB at about S$40 or a bit below Plus shipping. They are not popular in Taobao though as they are more geared toward overseas markets.

Search Shopee for “TV Boxes” then select “TV Boxes” and then “preferred “ seem to yield many results but all are from overseas. Quite some are below S$50. You can check among them.

Search for “Tanix TX3” and “preferred”, you will get only three results with pictures showing the “Tanix” brand but the two 2GB/16GB listings are higher than S$50.

I have not used Shopee myself (just start to look at it by comparing the price vs Taobao where I use sea shipping and pay 7% GST plus low shipping cost with 集运). So the info is only for your reference.

My friend got the Tanix TX3 Max and he likes it. I myself got the no-brand X96 Mini and it is good too but YMMV for no-brand boxes.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you need to run only 1 app for CCTV channels (and many other china satellite channels), buy the vscishion v88 at $30 or less.

Yes that is one possibility from what I read. But the problem is that it is only 1GB/8GB and I do not like the RK3229 CPU. It will be okay for the specific needs but he will soon regret.

I have a generic R69 RK3229 Box with 2GB/16GB (S$30 from Taobao) and my generic S905W 2GB/16GB X96 Mini (S$40 from Taobao) are much much better than it.

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Post your review here after you play with it.

BTW, you may spend time browsing through the Facebook group. It really has a lot of good info and tips.

My TX3 Max lai liao. =:p

Actually got it on Monday but not free to play with it till last night, but just played for an hour nia.

First impression quite speedy did not feel any lag, memory usage out of the box is 5xxmb/1.9gb, but noticed that it cannot find 5G band Wifi. Do not feel hot after an hour, based on my human thermometer it should be 40+ degree. :s13: cooler than my Minix G4.

Tried to update but it says latest version liao (Security patch dated 1 Dec 2017), not sure should this be done manually? :s11:

The remote control is not bad, initially thot I can use this to navigate but found it cannot scroll in "Youtube Kids" and "Newest Movies HD" apps. :eek:

Sian, now dunno should I get a Airmouse. :s8:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My TX3 Max lai liao. =:p
Sian, now dunno should I get a Airmouse. :s8:

Thanks for the review. It is bigger than my X96 Mini so the heat problem should be less and it should have better design than mine.

Low end Box only has 2.4GHz band WiFi and 100M Ethernet. If you can, use Ethernet for better stability.

You can go to Tanix website and Facebook page to get software update.

As for air mouse, I myself do not like them — I am using a Logitech USB Keyboard/Mouse combo myself (single receiver) with the help of default remote in case the mouse/keyboard do not work.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As for air mouse, I myself do not like them — I am using a Logitech USB Keyboard/Mouse combo myself (single receiver) with the help of default remote in case the mouse/keyboard do not work.

This link is for reference. TOP 2 have good reviews from other sites.
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-android-tv-remotes

#7 is the generic TV remote which comes three out my four boxes.😄

Edit on 8 Nov 2018
You can also try the remote app for iOS/Android.
https://www.cetusplay.com

Last edited:

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. It is bigger than my X96 Mini so the heat problem should be less and it should have better design than mine.

Low end Box only has 2.4GHz band WiFi and 100M Ethernet. If you can, use Ethernet for better stability.

You can go to Tanix website and Facebook page to get software update.

Same, I tried the minix A2 remote at my friend place before but don't really like wave the mouse around.

Does MX3 come with gyroscope and accelerometer? Thinking of getting 1 for navigation and play simple games with my toddler gal. =:p

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does MX3 come with gyroscope and accelerometer? Thinking of getting 1 for navigation and play simple games with my toddler gal. =:p

Website says yes. Some say 6-axis inertia sensor and some say it a bit differently.

There are also models with audio.

But it is a generic name now so you may need to check the ratings of the seller and the review of the item.

Ref:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyboard-Infrared-Learning-Raspberry/dp/B07DWVNB3J

https://shopee.sg/outdoorlife.sg/1505011093?version=8a58939720e309e03fa34bb23bff4c41

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks . Probably I will get same device as yours from taobao. R69

Yes that is one possibility from what I read. But the problem is that it is only 1GB/8GB and I do not like the RK3229 CPU. It will be okay for the specific needs but he will soon regret.

I have a generic R69 RK3229 Box with 2GB/16GB (S$30 from Taobao) and my generic S905W 2GB/16GB X96 Mini (S$40 from Taobao) are much much better than it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks . Probably I will get same device as yours from taobao. R69
No please do not get R69, that is a lousy box. Get S905W based box like Tanix TX3 Max or TX3 Mini.

I wanted to buy R69 Allwinner H3 based R69 for Armbian Linux usage (not as an Android box as I know it is not good) but the seller delivered the wrong one with RK3229 to me (which costs higher but not what I want).

That is the problem by going through Taobao and generic box — no point to return as the shipping cost can be high. In this case R69 Box is kind of useless to me as it can not run Linux unlike the older H3 based box.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.