MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

neonewbie

Reaction score
I jusr found out our round cable TV points (coaxial?) cannot be used after 31/12.
StarHub said we need to install data points to watch tb moving forward.

Are we able to buy and use a MoCA device to convert the round cable TV points into data points. Will this still be usable after 31/12 since this will no longer be supported?

If yes, where can we buy this converter device?

Thanks.

moron+genius

Reaction score
I jusr found out our round cable TV points (coaxial?) cannot be used after 31/12.

Are we able to buy and use a MoCA device to convert the round cable TV points into data points. Will this still be usable after 31/12 since this will no longer be supported?

Thanks.
Amazon, even got tv still can use moca. Tv n moca supposed 2 use diff freq range

crewcutboy

Reaction score

Wow that's a lot of misinformation.

Are you referring to the use of the coaxial point to watch local TV (i.e. channel 5, 8 etc)?

If you're a cable TV subscriber, the channels via your set top box will work as per normal.

If you're not a cable TV subscriber, local TV will no longer be transmitted via the cable TV point because the analogue TV signal will be switched off.

The government made it a law for StarHub to only transmit the old analogue signal that used to be received via the rooftop TV antenna.

Since we now have digital TV, the re-transmission is no longer necessary.

Installing data points will NOT allow you to watch TV unless you subscribe to fibre TV. Therefore MoCA isn't going to help.

What you need to do is simply purchase a digital TV set top box for each TV you want to watch local channels on.

https://www.digitaltv.sg/

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

If you are referring to Starhub on regarding to analogue to digital tv on those using cable set top box (STB) connected to cable TV coaxial point.

This is misinformation by whoever said to you as Starhub themselves have clarify on this issue.

Refer to > Free-to-air FAQ

That's if you are using their Cable STB then there is nothing to worry about.

This is the case of Cable TV is moving to Fibre TV as this is due to Cable network is going to cease.

Starhub Cable network for both Cable TV and Broadband services are leased and the lease will expire in 2020.

Hence Starhub is moving all Cable subscribers to Fibre TV and Broadband services.

Starhub do provide special offer to selective Cable TV subscribers to upgrade to Fibre TV and may come with Free Fibre Broadband and Router on the same existing pricing plan.

Do note that Starhub TV required a separate ethernet cable connection between the ONT (fibre modem) to the Fibre TV STB and not able to use the same ethernet cabling with internet access.

coldkey

Reaction score
Just converted my PowerLine setup to MoCA network. Was getting 150 Mbps max on PowerLine and now reaching 800/900 Mbps.

Main reason was to switch to FibreTV and PowerLine was too narrow.

Bought two TP Link SG108E and configured the switch port to MoCA Convertor to Trunk Port for Data and FibreTV VLAN (1091).

ONT Fibre TV and first set top box is plug in to first switch and both ports are configured for FibreTV VLAN while the rest of the ports are configured as Data VLAN and the router is plugged into one of them.

2nd set top box is directly connected to MoCA converter without a switch in a separate room.

3rd MoCA converter is connected to another room and the 2nd switch is connected for Data VLAN only.

The only thing to note is that the set top boxes cannot boot up correctly if IGMP Snooping is enabled (by default) so it needs to be disabled on the switch with FibreTV VLAN.

This cause additional multicast traffic on the MoCA trunk since the IPTV traffic is multicast. My Speedtest deteriorate by 50Mbps because of this but is a small price to pay.

Last edited:

vok003

Reaction score
Just converted my PowerLine setup to MoCA network. Was getting 150 Mbps max on PowerLine and now reaching 800/900 Mbps.

Bought two TP Link SG108E and configured the switch port to MoCA Convertor to Trunk Port for Data and FibreTV VLAN (1091).

ONT Fibre TV and first set top box is plug in to first switch and both ports are configured for FibreTV VLAN while the rest of the ports are configured as Data VLAN and the router is plugged into one of them.

2nd set top box is directly connected to MoCA converter without a switch in a separate room.

3rd MoCA converter is connected to another room and the 2nd switch is connected for Data VLAN only.

The only thing to note is that the set top boxes cannot boot up correctly if IGMP Snooping is enabled (by default) so it needs to be disabled on the switch with FibreTV VLAN.

This cause additional multicast traffic on the MoCA trunk since the IPTV traffic is multicast. My Speedtest deteriorate by 50Mbps because of this but is a small price to pay.

Hi, can i confirm that your setup has 3 moca adapters and all 3 moca adapters can "talk" to one another? Which model of moca adapter are you using? Thanks

coldkey

Reaction score
Hi, can i confirm that your setup has 3 moca adapters and all 3 moca adapters can "talk" to one another? Which model of moca adapter are you using? Thanks

Yup, there are 3 MoCA adapters and they are talking to each other similar to an Ethernet Hub. Just make sure you use the same settings if you change the default settings. I bought 2 pairs and is keeping one as spare.

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aeZZBbX0XSY16

You can access the UI using the instructions here
https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

Last edited:

coolstardy

Reaction score
Peeps need some advise here. Just installed the Actiontec today but I found a strange issue with my download speed. I’m able to hit 900Mbits on my upload but only able to achieve 250Mbits on the download. Just wondering if having a POE filter matters because I’ve disconnected the main coax coming in.

mqseries88

Reaction score
Try to connect both adapters directly to each other without the coax network and test the speed. This should take all possible factors off coax, spitters or bad terminators in your environment. If download speed is still 200Mbits, the subpar download could be related to your AP or router.

Peeps need some advise here. Just installed the Actiontec today but I found a strange issue with my download speed. I’m able to hit 900Mbits on my upload but only able to achieve 250Mbits on the download. Just wondering if having a POE filter matters because I’ve disconnected the main coax coming in.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Maybe there is nothing wrong with your network but simply you have many devices connected and your testing device is sharing the bandwidth with the other devices which are downloading quite some stuff .

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...yzBFj5S-BjaetBV_qyHytTVVuvhCFbmkdl93uogneLxpA

After looking at this news, I started searching and stumbled on this thread.

Assuming my ONT is in the room, the starhub fibre modem would be placed there, I would be able to use the MoCA adaptors to connect to the new fibre TV setup box placed in my living room right?

Refering to the opening post, I have to locate where the coaxial enters my house and remove the cable from outside and my home coaxial cabling will be "linked"?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...yzBFj5S-BjaetBV_qyHytTVVuvhCFbmkdl93uogneLxpA

Assuming my ONT is in the room, the starhub fibre modem would be placed there, I would be able to use the MoCA adaptors to connect to the new fibre TV setup box placed in my living room right?

Refering to the opening post, I have to locate where the coaxial enters my house and remove the cable from outside and my home coaxial cabling will be "linked"?

The ONT is usually placed next/close to FTP which is situated in/near DB Box in the living room.

Most users issue lies in the TV set top box (STB) is in the bedroom where the ONT is in the living room and do not have any data point.

In your case where if the FTP is in the living room and there is a short distance between FTP/ONT and TV/STB location then with ethernet cable via trunking would be better option.

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
The ONT is usually placed next/close to FTP which is situated in/near DB Box in the living room.

Most users issue lies in the TV set top box (STB) is in the bedroom where the ONT is in the living room and do not have any data point.

In your case where if the FTP is in the living room and there is a short distance between FTP/ONT and TV/STB location then with ethernet cable via trunking would be better option.

mine is a resale maisonette, the FTP is upstairs in the bedroom (previous owner installation) while the living room tv is downstairs.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine is a resale maisonette, the FTP is upstairs in the bedroom (previous owner installation) while the living room tv is downstairs.

Well if you want to and when you sign-up then request if they make the changes in the location of the FTP to your living room.

No harm to enquire/request and to see if they have any other option.

If not you can ask Starhub to do the conversion for you since the cable coaxial network belong to them for now.
Not sure if they still provide such services or not.

mqseries88

Reaction score
It will not affect the way you setup the moca adapters even if starhub cease their cable services.
Moca adapters just leverage on your existing coax lines in your house.

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
It will not affect the way you setup the moca adapters even if starhub cease their cable services.
Moca adapters just leverage on your existing coax lines in your house.

Thanks, guess my first task is to try to locate the entry point to my unit.

Reaction score
This is a very useful info. I'm facing the the cabletv is going to be replaced by FibreTV problem. My place is wired for Cat6 at least but i didn't expect that for the same cable to carry FibreTV and internet needs a somewhat complicated vlan setup (i've explored the forums but really couldn't find something that has both internet and fibretv on same cable with multiple fibretv set top boxes).

Thus after locating the starhub cable entry point in my riser, i realise that converting all my cabletv coax points into a secondary network for FibreTv is possible! cheers.

Need your expert advice on how i can get multiple fibretv set top boxes to work on same moca network?

eg. Can this work? Looks weird to me

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3----FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Or must I put a switch after all the Coax1/2/3.

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1--Switch-- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2--Switch--- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3--Switch---FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Last edited:

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MOCA is about to become very important in Singapore what with Starhub forcing every cable user - including those with no ethernet infrastructure to move to fiber.

I currently have MOCA running in a point to point setup for my fiber uplink. I disconnected this individual coax run from the splitter.

Once I get converted to fiber I figure I will just run MOCA all over so I can continue using the coaxial ports throughout the house.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MOCA is about to become very important in Singapore what with Starhub forcing every cable user - including those with no ethernet infrastructure to move to fiber.

Not that important lah. Only to very few users. The StarHub Cable User will most likely go to Fibre TV, or go to the Streaming Box, or jump ship to SingTel TV, or forgo StarHub/SingTel TV altogether.

As for the Ethernet infrastructure, it is good to have and MOCA is one alternative solution. But most people are okay with no Ethernet infrastructure across the house, WiFi Mesh is the way to go. Wireless repeater and power line are good enough for some too like I.

So in the end, even though MOCA is good, it is only a very small niche.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.