AMD announced Eypc Rome, 7nm CPU with 64C/128T.

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13561/amd-previews-epyc-rome-processor-up-to-64-zen-2-cores

IMG_20181105_093458_575px.jpg

Some leaked Ryzen 2 diagram:

DresQgJVsAExXf4.jpg

Yes you read it right, 16C/32T on dual channel DDR4, connected with the IO chip using a pair of 8C CCX chiplet.

Intel is peeing in their pants right now, not even the 9900K can save them against Ryzen 3.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We will need to see the single thread (gaming) performance. Right now Intel is still the king there.

Reaction score
Yes you read it right, 16C/32T on dual channel DDR4, connected with the IO chip using a pair of 8C CCX chiplet.

Intel is peeing in their pants right now, not even the 9900K can save them against Ryzen 3.

if AMD 16C/32T can match with Intel 9900K price, it will be a game-changer.

Last edited:

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since the chiplets don't have a mem controller and IO, doesn't that mean the desktop Ryzen 3000 series will need an IO chip as well? Maybe not such a huge one. After all, the current chipsets don't have like a Northbridge anymore

Reaction score
Since the chiplets don't have a mem controller and IO, doesn't that mean the desktop Ryzen 3000 series will need an IO chip as well? Maybe not such a huge one. After all, the current chipsets don't have like a Northbridge anymore
TS has posted a leaked desktop Ryzen 2 diagram.
Some leaked Ryzen 2 diagram:

DresQgJVsAExXf4.jpg

concept_fuel

Reaction score
Zen2 might actually beat intel on all fronts this time round.
Having the IO/IF on 14nm and core/chiplets on 7nm is a great way to optimize
process nodes and cheaper to produce since IO won't have the same benefit of going down
a node or 2.

If we take a look and the GPU side of things going from an MI25(14nm) to MI60(7nm) we have
a 20% clock speed increased at the same 300W TDP going from 1.5Ghz to 1.8Ghz, so going by that
logic of a 20% increase in clockspeed from 14nm to 7nm we can then assume the same with Zen vs Zen2.
So taking a 1800x Zen boost of 4Ghz at 95W TDP which is on 14nm and applying an increase of 20% we
get 4.8Ghz clockspeed on Zen2 and I wouldn't be suprise if AMD decide to push further to 5ghz maybe
by giving Zen2 a higher TDP rating of 105W like they did with Zen+.

So taking a 4.8Ghz clockspeed and maybe 13% IPC improvement could see them pulling ahead on Intel's
9900k even on single threaded performance.

I'm not sure if AMD will be doing a 16C/32T on Zen2 but they certainly could with 2 chiplets as per
the leak photo above. IMO they might give us maybe a 10C or 12C by disabling some cores on either 1
of the chiplet or both.

So who is on the Zen2 hype train bandwagon?.....I know I am since my rig is all ready to go...and
with my MB having the USB bios flash feature all I need is to just swap the CPU since the AM4 socket is
supported till 2020:D

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS has posted a leaked desktop Ryzen 2 diagram.

Oh. Didn't see that. Interesting. So they'll use different IO chips for different platforms. Possibly a different one for threadripper too since that will probably stay at 32 cores?

But for the APUs, I'm gonna bet they'll go for a single chip solution. That IO chip is going to draw power which is gonna sick for laptops.

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh. Didn't see that. Interesting. So they'll use different IO chips for different platforms. Possibly a different one for threadripper too since that will probably stay at 32 cores?

But for the APUs, I'm gonna bet they'll go for a single chip solution. That IO chip is going to draw power which is gonna sick for laptops.

Even on chip imc or io also draw power but maybe lesser due to closer (shorter) circuit.
So i don't think the power disadvantages are so significant

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if AMD 16C/32T can match with Intel 9900K price, it will be a game-changer.

Why would they when they want to gain market share phase?
Now Ryzen 2xxx series also much cheaper but not much will really think it is game changer

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1057166516548857856

RYZEN 3000: Block diagram (take it with a bowl of salt)
RYZEN 3000: Organic MCM package (take it with a bowl of salt)

OCT 30 :s11::s11:

You know, This guy is spot on for the prediction before the AMD horizon event. He predicted the I/O chip will be using 14nm while the ccx stay 7nm.

Look at the EYPC Rome diagram he posted:

DqvNhO0U0AEpbvx.jpg:large

Other than the position of the chiplet, everything else seem spot on.

Call it fake but this guy probably have some very good source from AMD.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am sure Intel is panicking. Intel has never been so threatened since their Pentium 4 days, and the fact that they are losing the fab edge don't help. Based on observation, Intel 8xxx and 9xxx series are pretty much a knee jerk effect since Intel underestimated the threat, and in the first place do not have plans to provide retail consumers with anything more than 4 cores for the near future. Sure they still have single core IPC and clockspeed advantage, but it is quickly getting caught up since they have been recycling the same Skylake architect for way too long. The increase in core counts, clockspeed and being stuck on 14nm is starting to take its toll with increased heat output, power consumption, and very limited overclocking headroom.

Also, notice that Intel quickly announced the 28 and 48 core just before each AMD's new product launch, only to be outclassed with more cores each time. 28 core got outclassed by Threadripper 2 and 48 cores by Epyc.

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sure Intel is panicking. Intel has never been so threatened since their Pentium 4 days, and the fact that they are losing the fab edge don't help. Based on observation, Intel 8xxx and 9xxx series are pretty much a knee jerk effect since Intel underestimated the threat, and in the first place do not have plans to provide retail consumers with anything more than 4 cores for the near future. Sure they still have single core IPC and clockspeed advantage, but it is quickly getting caught up since they have been recycling the same Skylake architect for way too long. The increase in core counts, clockspeed and being stuck on 14nm is starting to take its toll with increased heat output, power consumption, and very limited overclocking headroom.

Also, notice that Intel quickly announced the 28 and 48 core just before each AMD's new product launch, only to be outclassed with more cores each time. 28 core got outclassed by Threadripper 2 and 48 cores by Epyc.

Not 48C, its 64C. However that is not the most scary part.

45798339_340151386568769_6014638498710028288_n.png

This is the true Intel killer. For AMD, it only take $45 to make the entire 16C/32T package. Of course design cost is not inclusive but you can imagine the profit margin selling at $499 is going to extremely profitable! If AMD want to kill Intel they could reduce it to $450 or less just to see how Intel panic.

AMD is ahead of Intel now. There is no doubt already, especially when Zen 2 was design to compete with Ice-lake (if Intel didnt delay their 10nm)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.