Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody got the new mi box s?

Still Nvidia shield > all

It should be better than the older one because of the added AC wifi support. That being said it seems not so easily available in Singapore.

NVidia Shield TV is at a different class than Mi Box and if the cost is not a concern by all means get it. If cost is a concern then get Mi Box if you need official Google certified Android TV.

For those who do not need official Google certified Android TV, another option is the FireTV devices from Amazon, pretty easy to side load apps from what I read.

After the above, you can also consider non-Android choices like Roku and Apple TV (for Apple device users).

Google Chromecast is another good device to have even though it is built-in for Official Android TV device like the Mi Box.

After the above, then it comes to generic Android OS based TV box where you can try better brand like Zidoo, Beelink or Minix if you do not want to venture with lower end boxes.

List of TOP 10 Android TV box review
https://youtu.be/HGs8yF5VOvU
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k3_2LBJDzj6JPGw2lADwTi2qvZQpKKy6L4mO7jLm1LQ/htmlview

Nvidia Shield is No 1 and Mi Box is No 4.
No 2 and 3 are for people who want to play a bit of game and big Kodi build and do not need Netflix.

Last edited:

squarepipe

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/YB4tjV5J0DA

Comparison of Nvidia Shield TV versus Mi Box Global Version.

Lol that guy a tech illiterate YouTuber pretending he is hot sh*t

He does not know how to test network speed without speed test and keeps on saying devices has gigabit LAN port when it has only 10/100 speed.

Check out this guy instead for an actual home theater use case .

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check out this guy instead for an actual home theater use case.

Nice video.

Amazon Fire TV /Stick/Cube are also often listed in the TOP lists.

And it seems to me it is pretty easy to side load apps. Not so sure why they are not so popular here. Could be a good alternative to Mi Box.

Review of latest Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K from the same reviewer Lon.TV

https://youtu.be/WzQl3RhCdzE
Pro: Low cost at US$49, smooth 4K Streaming, Amazon ecosystem
Con: no native YouTube, Low HW spec for Kodi, no Ethernet (US$15 Addon)

Last edited:

squarepipe

Reaction score
Nice video.

Amazon Fire TV /Stick/Cube are also often listed in the TOP lists.

And it seems to me it is pretty easy to side load apps. Not so sure why they are not so popular here. Could be a good alternative to Mi Box.

Review of latest Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K from the same reviewer Lon.TV

https://youtu.be/WzQl3RhCdzE
Pro: Low cost at US$49, smooth 4K Streaming, Amazon ecosystem
Con: no native YouTube, Low HW spec for Kodi, no Ethernet (US$15 Addon)

You overestimate the average user. The average user in this case is my mom don't even know how to switch from Plex or netflix or YouTube to watch certain videos and you expect them to know what apps to sideload for what videos?

This is why devices like this are in the market

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You overestimate the average user. The average user in this case is my mom don't even know how to switch from Plex or netflix or YouTube to watch certain videos and you expect them to know what apps to sideload for what videos?

Haha, you mum has a good son. And average users have friends and HardwareZone forum and New TV Box SG Facebook group.

Jokes aside, I did not overestimate the average users. That is why the scam boxes or the UBox/EVpad are popular.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, you mum has a good son. And average users have friends and HardwareZone forum and New TV Box SG Facebook group.

Jokes aside, I did not overestimate the average users. That is why the scam boxes or the UBox/EVpad are popular.

One example of bad experiences buying Redbean “Local” Android TV Box
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/.../beware-redbean-android-tv-box-5294147-4.html

And Mr Choo has a good advice in that thread.
“Sim lim sq is a bad place to buy tv box, carousel is another one.

Better to buy online from lazada, or qoo10 if you can find cheaper offer.

Normally $50-60 can get you a set with S905/S905x, 2GB RAM and 8GB/16GB flash memory.

I don't consider this spec as basic buy, but since it is cheap enough, no point saving $10-20 to get lower spec boxes.”

“It is better to get box with brand and support website, so if you need help in the future, you can go to the forum in the offical website to seek solutions.

These are the popular brands: beelink, nexbox, sunvell, tronsmart, xiaomi, minix, himedia, vensmile.”

creator88

Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any advise would be much appreciated. Looking for something with easy interface and minimal setup required, if possible.

SingTel TV and StarHub TV or the StarHub Go Streaming Box then. No other solution.

All the UBox thingy can be shutdown anytime and you are paying high price for the apps since the box is usually S$50 - S$80 boxes or worse. So it is better to buy a cheap box and trying different apps. But you do need to try and not as stable/easy as local ISP Pay TV vendor.

creator88

Reaction score
SingTel TV and StarHub TV or the StarHub Go Streaming Box then. No other solution.

All the UBox thingy can be shutdown anytime and you are paying high price for the apps since the box is usually S$50 - S$80 boxes or worse. So it is better to buy a cheap box and trying different apps. But you do need to try and not as stable/easy as local ISP Pay TV vendor.

Thanks for the advise. Don't mind giving the generic android boxes a try.

Any particular models/brands that you would recommend? Are these available locally or usually have to be imported from China?

I rather pay a bit more for a better box (with better specifications).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. Don't mind giving the generic android boxes a try.

Any particular models/brands that you would recommend? Are these available locally or usually have to be imported from China?

I rather pay a bit more for a better box (with better specifications).

Still Mi Box with Android 6.0 is the one. You can get them from local platform like Shopee and Lazada at about S$80-90. Or more expensive is Nvidia Shield TV which is the best Android TV box money can buy now.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still Mi Box with Android 6.0 is the one. You can get them from local platform like Shopee and Lazada at about S$80-90. Or more expensive is Nvidia Shield TV which is the best Android TV box money can buy now.

If you do not need Android TV features like Netflix HD and Chromecast, cheaper alternatives like Tanix TX3 Max (about S$50 from Lazada/Shopee) 2GB/16GB should be good enough. My Brother-in-law bought one and he likes it.

For apps, go to New TV Box SG Local Facebook group.

creator88

Reaction score
If you do not need Android TV features like Netflix HD and Chromecast, cheaper alternatives like Tanix TX3 Max (about S$50 from Lazada/Shopee) 2GB/16GB should be good enough. My Brother-in-law bought one and he likes it.

For apps, go to New TV Box SG Local Facebook group.

Thanks for all the advise. Much appreciated.

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Order a MX3 air mouse yet to collect but I have a strong feeling that the air mouse will also not able to scroll in Youtube Kids app and some certain apps. :(

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Order a MX3 air mouse yet to collect but I have a strong feeling that the air mouse will also not able to scroll in Youtube Kids app and some certain apps. :(

mx3 airmouse has no brand so you have to try your luck.

there are many versions too, all are called mx3.

if you are lucky, you get a good set, come with ir learning remote for all the keys.

if you are not lucky... up to you to imagine.

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you are lucky, you get a good set, come with ir learning remote for all the keys.

Not sure if I am right, but it seems to me certain apps were designed to "click and drag" and not just a simple left right arrows scrolling.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That is indeed correct.

The only better branded remote seems to be Minix from a quick search in Lazada/Shopee and Tronsmart in Shopee.

Edit with some search in Lazada/Shopee.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-android-tv-remotes

Rii i8+ remote looks nice but it seems there are many copycats in Lazada/Shopee so you do not really know which one is genuine.
http://www.riitek.com/product/i8.html

From Taobao I can go to the Tmall Rii Official shop and they sell i8+ for RMB138 which is about S$27.60. They also sell i8 at RMB98 which is about S$19.60.

Minix Neo A2 Lite - this seems to be readily available from Lazada/Shopee. Not sure if they are genuine or not.

#3 Aerb does not sound like a brand. MX3 Pro is a generic name.

#4 Trnosmart seems to be a good brand and TSM-01 is available from Shopee Tronsmart mall at S$14

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mele f10 deluxe is another good air mouse.

mx3 is one of the airmouse I am using, it is good, occasionally the cursor drift so I have to calibrate it, calibration is simple and straightforward, the problem is the calibration method is not the same as per manual, and I have to try many methods to get the right one.

but I won't recommend others to buy because I know that it is not possible to get back the same model, even from the same seller.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.